Windows 10: External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...

Discus and support External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, I'm hoping that someone here can help me with a serious problem. I would very much appreciate any help. It all started with a big... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by b_rich, Jun 20, 2020.

1. b_rich Win User

External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...

Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with a serious problem. I would very much appreciate any help. It all started with a big Windows update last week. Afterwards the hard drive was no longer recognised as NTFS and was labelled RAW. I couldn't repair the computer. I was thinking of buying a new computer anyway so I did well not new it's a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7020. I thought I would be able to connect the hard drive of my old computer to my new one with an enclosure through a USB port. The drive is a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 if that's any help. Unfortunately I can't get it to work.

When I turn on the enclosure I get a message saying that I should click to decide what to do with a drive labelled "System Reserved" with the drive letter F. I get the same message soon after for a drive with the letter G. The drive has a partition with a volume for "recovery". The other volume has the operating system Windows 10 and all my data which I would like to recover. Immediately after the messages appear you can see the drives in File Explorer. If you select G drive you see the round processing symbol. After 30 seconds or so a message appears saying something like "The last USB device connected to the computer malfunctioned and can't be recognised" and then the two drives disappear from File Explorer. They don't appear in Disk Management either. In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers there is an error saying either "Device Descriptor Request Failed" or "Set Address Failed". In the properties for the USB port there is a message "was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".

I've googled this extensively and tried every possible fix that I could find to no avail. I've tried turning the computer off and then on again, tried all the USB ports, changed the USB cable, updated USB drivers, uninstall and then reinstall USB drivers, disable USB device and then restart, ran the USB Troubleshooter, deleted USB hidden devices, deselected Fast Startup and others. I didn't do anything with the motherboard. Since the hard drive is recognised initially and then not and considering what Windows Update did to it I suspect the problem is on the drive itself - corrupt system files or something.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. Also does anyone know of any recover data software that works on a hard drive that Windows doesn't recognise? Every one I've seen needs the drive to show in Disk Management. If I can't get Windows to recognise the drive I would need software like that. Thanks very much for any replies.

:)

b_rich, Jun 20, 2020

2. External Seagate Drive not appearing after Creators Update

We appreciate the feedback, Pete. Getting in touch with Seagate support is one of your options. They may have recent or updated drivers for your external hard drive. In the meantime, since the hard drive is detected again when you unplug and replug it, we
    suggest that you try changing the drive letter and its path and see if it addresses the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Windows key and click Computer Management.
    • Under Storage, click Disk Management.
    • Find your Seagate External Hard Drive, right-click it and select
      Change Drive Letter and Paths
    • Click on Change and select the letter for the drive.
    • Click OK, close all windows, then restart your computer.

Should the issue persists, then we suggest sharing your experience with us through our Feedback Hub. To access the Feedback Hub, follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows key.
    • Look for Feedback Hub, then click it.
    • In the left pane, click Feedback.
    Let us know should you need further help.

Regards.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 20, 2020
  3. External drive not appearing in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand that you are facing the issue regarding external file storage. I will certainly help you with this.

Please provide the below information:

Are you getting any error message?

You may try,

Try to connect a different external drive and check.

Try connecting the same external drive to a different computer.

I would suggest you to go through the below methods:

Method 1: Try to run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter:

a. Press WIN+X.

b. Click on Control Panel.

c. Click on Troubleshooting.

d. On the left pane, click on view all.

e. From the list, run the troubleshooter Hardware and Devices.

Method 2: Try to check the drive in disk management.

• Press WIN+X.
    • Click on disk management.
    • Check if the drive is listed or not.
    If listed,

Method 3: Try to give a drive letter to external drive

To change, add, or remove a drive letter

[*]Open Computer Management by right click on
    Start button.

[*]In the left pane, click
    Disk Management.

Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Do one of the following:

[*]To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click
    Add, click the letter that you
    want to use, and then click OK.

To change a drive letter, click
    Change, click
    Assign the following drive letter,
    click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

[*]To remove a drive letter, click
    Remove, and then click
    Yesto confirm that you want to
    remove it.

Method 4: Try to check the drivers in Device manager:

a. Press WIN+X.

b. Click on Device Manager.

c. From the list, expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

d. Right click on the USB ports.

e. Check if it is enabled or not.

I hope this helps. Please let us know the results. Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Shubham Chaubey, Jun 20, 2020
  4. johnchris Win User

External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...

Windows 10, when connecting external drive 2 drive letters both the same appear in this computer

When I attach a USB external drive HDD or Flash drive stick, 2 drive letters appear (both the same) how do I stop this? Click on either and it opens just the same this is more of an annoyance than operational problem.

johnchris, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

1. External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors... - Similar Threads - External HDD drive

2. External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...: As the title says, I can't get my external drive to work. It has worked in the past, and when it has done so the icon on the drive turned from what it is normally the to a blue disc. Now however it just disappears and nothing plays. Unfortunately I cannot upload screenshots...
  3. External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...: As the title says, I can't get my external drive to work. It has worked in the past, and when it has done so the icon on the drive turned from what it is normally the to a blue disc. Now however it just disappears and nothing plays. Unfortunately I cannot upload screenshots...
  4. External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Sound briefly disappears in Bluetooth headphones when connected to the laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound briefly disappears in Bluetooth headphones when connected to the laptop.: I recently bought new Bluetooth headphones and connected them to my laptop. Initially, everything was fine, but then the sound started intermittently cutting out. The audio track continues, but there is no sound for a few seconds. This happens repeatedly, and although it...
  6. Sound briefly disappears in Bluetooth headphones when connected to the laptop.

Sound briefly disappears in Bluetooth headphones when connected to the laptop.: I recently bought new Bluetooth headphones and connected them to my laptop. Initially, everything was fine, but then the sound started intermittently cutting out. The audio track continues, but there is no sound for a few seconds. This happens repeatedly, and although it...
  7. Windows 11 Not Assigning Drive Letter to External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Not Assigning Drive Letter to External HDD: I have a 3TB Seagate SATA which I connect with a SATA to USB powered connector. I've formatted the drive in NTFS and gave it a drive letter. The following day, I connect the drive, but it does not appear in file manager. I check the Disk Manager and I can see it, but it has...
  8. Windows 11 Not Assigning Drive Letter to External HDD

Windows 11 Not Assigning Drive Letter to External HDD: I have a 3TB Seagate SATA which I connect with a SATA to USB powered connector. I've formatted the drive in NTFS and gave it a drive letter. The following day, I connect the drive, but it does not appear in file manager. I check the Disk Manager and I can see it, but it has...
  9. External HDD always losing drive letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD always losing drive letter: I have a Laptop Thus i cant install my HDD's anymore, and i bought an external Dock. The Dock is working fine, comes with some usb§ connections and such, all good for a while But now after a year it starts to just "forget" the letter of one of the two HDD's. In my Drive Dock...
  10. File association error when connecting external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File association error when connecting external HDD: I keep getting the error: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" when I connect my Toshiba external hard drive which is just under 1TB (931GB) in storage capacity. The hard drive works completely fine and is recognised by the...