Windows 10: External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in

Discus and support External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I had a old HDD knocking about so I thought I’d stick it in a USB caddy and back data up to it. So I formatted the HDD and added some files from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mistertml, Sep 3, 2020.

1. External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in

I had a old HDD knocking about so I thought I’d stick it in a USB caddy and back data up to it. So I formatted the HDD and added some files from my main PC to it. I also did the same with some folders I had on the laptop. I’ve been running some VM on both the machines so I thought I’d add them all to a VM folder and this is when I noticed that the folders I created on the laptop don’t show in the PC and vice versa... I’ve got plenty of external HDD and this has never happened before... Any thoughts on this?

submitted by /u/mistertml
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mistertml, Sep 3, 2020

2. Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices

Hello, I have this issue where the files and folders on an external device (such as an external HDD and USB) are not showing up, yet the device is visible. I only started getting this issue after I connected my USB to another computer which makes me think a virus caused this. Here's where I am at:

The drive in question is the "STEAM GAMES (FExternal HDD folders only show in the device they were created in :)" drive. It shows up in explorer as shown:

External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in [​IMG]

And when opened, this is what's inside the F drive:

By showing hidden files and not hiding protected operating system files, this is what shows:

What I've tried:
    • The command "attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d F:\*.*" returns this:
    • External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in [​IMG]
    • Full system scan using Anti-MalwareBytes and Avast! reveals nothing.
    • Running RKill, UsbFix, RogueKiller, and iExplore.exe does not fix the problem.

I had the same problem with a USB before and had to format it to get it to work. I would rather not format this drive because it contains a lot of data but I may if desperate enough. Please help me. Thanks.

More images (changed the drive letter to S but that didn't help):

Brainiac777, Sep 3, 2020
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Sep 3, 2020
  4. External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Since you have already checked Device Manager and did not see any errors, we suggest that you manually uninstall the device drivers for your external drives. Doing this will allow the system to install the driver for your external drive automatically and
    correct any error. You can follow the steps below to uninstall the device driver:

• Search for Device Manager via Cortana and hit the
      Enter key.
    • Go to View, and click Show hidden icons.
    • On the Device Manager, check under Universal Serial Bus Controllers (if the drive is connected via USB). The drive should appear as a USB Mass Storage Device.
    • Uninstall the USB Mass Storage Device listed in the Device Manager.
    • Restart your PC.
    • After restarting, allow the default USB Mass Storage Device drivers to be automatically downloaded by windows. Make sure that you are connected to the internet for this process to push through.
    • Reinstall all other drivers from the support website of your External drive.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in

1. External HDD folders only show in the device they were created in - Similar Threads - External HDD folders

2. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  3. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  4. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  5. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  6. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?: I want to create a shortcut in the "Send to.." folder/menu to copy selected data to the certain folder of my Android 8.1.0 mobile phone connected to PC via USB wire. So the logic of the path is: Phone -> SD memory card -> Folder_name. When i right-clicked on the destination...
  8. Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?: Dear all, i want to create a shortcut in the "Send to.." folder/menu which will copy selected data to my Android 8.1.0 mobile phone (connected to PC via USB wire). So the logic of the path is: Phone -> SD memory card -> Folder_name. When i right-click on the destination...
  9. Cannot Create a Folder HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Create a Folder HDD: [ATTACH] I have a HDD named "Storage A" which I recently noticed that I cannot create or delete folders. This was not an issue before. I noticed this problem when steam games suddenly stopped working and my games are stored on this HDD. When I try to create folder it...
  10. Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices: Hello, I have this issue where the files and folders on an external device (such as an external HDD and USB) are not showing up, yet the device is visible. I only started getting this issue after I connected my USB to another computer which makes me think a virus caused this....