Windows 10: External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

Discus and support External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do! Yesterday, all of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Strobenz, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Strobenz Win User

External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do!

Yesterday, all of a sudden, my external HDD (ADATA HV300) stopped working... At first it would completely freeze the File Explorer on Windows 10 and the PC would behave strangely. I googled for help and found that I could use the CHKDSK command on cmd, only to find out that "chkdsk is not available for RAW drives".

Googled again, and tried several different programs (EaseUS, AOMEI Partition Assistant, etc) but none were able to even scan the drive. It's as if it became unusable. However, today I can actually access the root folder and even go inside of some folders after File Explorer freezes for a few seconds
    External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW? [​IMG]
    which made me think that the file system is not at all RAW.

When I ran diskpart, it showed that the drive is FAT32 and labeled as "correct" (sorry, my computer is in Spanish)
    External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW? [​IMG]

But as you can see, running CHKDSK is not possible since the drive is recognized as RAW...

What is going on?? Could someone please provide some help? I am a bit desperate because there are some (admittedly not very important) files that I really wouldn't want to lose...

:)

Strobenz, Aug 8, 2020

2. usb external HDD fat32 support ?

i have updated to WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY .. it made my PC and LAPTOP to stop recognising FAT32 EXTERNAL usb HDD 2TB. i had to revert back to older version of windows 10 in order to access the external-HDD

can you confirm that windows 10 latest update support FAT32 external usb drives?

khalidjamil, Aug 8, 2020
  3. 1tb Fat32 external hdd

Hello all.

My windows can't open my 1tb fat32 external hdd. It formats it to some other thing. I need it to be fat32 so I could connect it to my ps3. Is there an alternate option to windows file ?

TenzinNamsay, Aug 8, 2020
  4. External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

1tb Fat32 external hdd

You need to format it to FAT32... why?

I suggest exFAT - more universal with more features ... Natively supported, etc.

However, if you just have to - there are plenty of utilities that get around the format limitations built into Windows for FAT32. Like: 2020 Best FAT32 Format Tool Free Download for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista - EaseUS

Without a compelling argument, however, exFAT is still likely the better option for you.

Shenan Stanley, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

1. External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW? - Similar Threads - External HDD FAT32

2. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  3. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  4. External HDD not recognized: Iomega Prestige.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD not recognized: Iomega Prestige.: Hello all. I'm new here, so forgive me if this is a repeat question. Feel free to refer me to another post from earlier.I have an IOMEGA Prestige, which is perfectly operational. I just finished a Windows 10 reinstall that took forever due to corrupt system files. I stored...
  5. External HDD not recognized: Iomega Prestige.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD not recognized: Iomega Prestige.: Hello all. I'm new here, so forgive me if this is a repeat question. Feel free to refer me to another post from earlier.I have an IOMEGA Prestige, which is perfectly operational. I just finished a Windows 10 reinstall that took forever due to corrupt system files. I stored...
  6. External HDD not recognized: Iomega Prestige.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?: Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do! Yesterday, all of a sudden, my external HDD (ADATA HV300) stopped working... At first it would completely freeze the File Explorer on Windows 10 and...
  8. USB port will only recognize external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  9. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  10. Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?: My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format the HDD and make it usable...