Windows 10: External HDD Issues

Discus and support External HDD Issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was given a 3TB hard drive that I am wanting to use for my son's PS4 as extra storage. In order to do so I need to format it to exFat. When I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bonifus2836, Jan 2, 2020.

1. External HDD Issues

I was given a 3TB hard drive that I am wanting to use for my son's PS4 as extra storage. In order to do so I need to format it to exFat. When I try to do that with my laptop it only shows 349GB as the size. I am trying to use Diskpart to determine if it is a "read-only" issue, or if I messed it up when I deleted the files that were on it, or if my laptop is unable to support that large of a HDD. I'm not sure. However, when I enter "list disk" in diskpart it shows the full capacity of the HDD 2794GB and it shows how much is Free 1698GB. I select the disk and then enter "list volume" in diskpart and it shows the volume. It lists the size as 349GB the status as Healthy the File System as NTFS which I need to format to exFat and the type of volume as a Patition. I select the volume and enter "detail disk" in diskpart and it shows that it's not "read-only". So what gives? Will I be able to format this HDD or am I doing something wrong? Please Help! I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas. I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that maybe my PC can't support a 3TB HDD, so it is only showing what the system can support. All I want to do is format the drive to an exFat file system and have the full 3TB available for storage. Can someone please explain how I can do this in diskpart or using some other method?

:)

Bonifus2836, Jan 2, 2020

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jan 2, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 2, 2020
  4. dermy Win User

External HDD Issues

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

External HDD Issues

1. External HDD Issues - Similar Threads - External HDD Issues

2. Issue with my External HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with my External HDD not showing up: Hello, I have tested my external HDD on two separate Windows 10 devices family members, and the external HDD works fine on both of them. My PC however, does not recognize the HDD. I hear the HDD start to spin, as well as the little indication light turn on, but it doesn't...
  3. External HDD issue

External HDD issue: I have an external hard drive that is 2 TB in size connected via usb. I have tried to use it to make both Windows 10 installation Media or Windows 10 recovery media. In both cases the creation of the media fails. The hard drive as a result loses its formatting and partitions...
  4. Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?: I keep all important data on external HDD and periodically wish to synchronize this dats with another external HDD. Is this at all possible especially because drive letters themselves change depending on the PC/laptop that you attach them to and the order in which you attach...
  5. external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external hdd: Heyo guys! i want to switch from linux to windows but i have 1 little question about my external hard drive. Will it just work fine on windows or do i need to format it first? thanks in advance! submitted by /u/gekkemat [link] [comments]...
  6. External HDD

External HDD: What would happen to the Windows 10 installation on my SSD if I connected an external HDD with Linux installed on it, whilst using Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd/54e8dff5-f3f2-4f6d-8365-d6c9969434cb
  7. External HDD

External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  8. External HDD

External HDD: I have an older Seagate 1 TB external HDD, but my new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 won't let me open it. It shows up under my computer, but doesn't allow me access; it reads "You don't currently have permission to access this folder". When I click on "continue", it prompts...
  9. Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Windows.old off external HDD - Ownership issue?: I've got a hdd out of a laptop with Windows installed on it that was replaced with an ssd. I now have it plugged into the laptop externally as a storage drive for backups with a USB adapter. I would like to delete the Windows, Windows.old and program files folders on the...
  10. USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue

USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue: Hey guys, I have an issue specific to my USB 3.0 ports, and its interaction with my external HDD(E-HDD). Whenever I plug in my USB 3.0 capable E-HDD, the computer recognises the drive for a few seconds and then disconnects. This keeps happening while the the E-HDD is still...