Windows 10: External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned

Discus and support External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have a 500GB external Toshiba 3.0 USB HDD. It has around 200GB of data on it. It was working fine up until about two weeks ago. I noticed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LCStrick, Nov 24, 2018.

1. LCStrick Win User

External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned

So I have a 500GB external Toshiba 3.0 USB HDD. It has around 200GB of data on it. It was working fine up until about two weeks ago.

I noticed a week ago or so when I tried to access some data there, or move some files to it, that it was not being seen. I just today have time to look at it, and boy am I surprised.

Previously the drive was not seen at all, today it is.

Today it shows as only a 300 GB drive, that is empty. It would seem the available space has been set up in it's own partition. It reads as (2) E: drives, where previously it was my F: drive.

I have no idea how this could happen to a pc that was sitting dormant. The only changes that have been made to the computer are the updates that Windows continue to push, which I can't opt out of. Different story.

So here is my question, how do i get my files from that missing 200GB on my drive, now that windows is convinced that 200GB of space does not exist?

I don't really care how it happened, I just need a workaround to recover the data that is there. My preventive measure for this occurring again is Mojave.

If you could help me get that 200gb of data back it would be great, just great.

:)

LCStrick, Nov 24, 2018
  2. siddobson Win User

External HDD Partitions

I have an external HDD. It had multiple partitions. I removed partitions with this procedure: Press the "Start" button, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press "Enter." 3. Right-click the existing partition on the external hard drive, select "Delete Volume" and
    choose to remove the partition. I did this to remove all partitions and NOW the computer doesn't recognize the drive in file explorer. What can I do?

siddobson, Nov 24, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 24, 2018
  4. External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned

Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB"

I can help you:

1. Press Windows Key+R

2. Type 'cmd'

3. type 'diskpart'

4. type 'list disk'

5. find your external HDD in the list

6. type 'select disk (what ever the disk number is for the external HDD)

7. type clean

8. open Disk Management

9. right click the external HDD

10. click 'New Partition'

11. Complete the steps

BenjyP9250, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned

1. External HDD Lost all iles as if partitioned - Similar Threads - External HDD Lost

2. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  3. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  4. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restore previous partitions of external HDD

Restore previous partitions of external HDD: My windows 10 crashed while my external hard drive was running. When I rebooted it deleted all the partitions on external drive and created a single new partition. How to revert this and restore the data from it?...
  6. Windows 10 Backing Up To Partitioned External HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Backing Up To Partitioned External HDD: I've split an external HDD into two partitions A and B. The HDD initially had some files from another pc stored on it in section A that I do not want to lose. I've created a NTFS formatted partition in section B and am trying to back it up using "control panel/all control...
  7. Lost Partitions on HDD with HDD regenerator

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost Partitions on HDD with HDD regenerator: I am using a 2TB seagate Internal HDD DriveI used (HDD regenerator 2011) in boot media mode, and when i started the 'scan and repair' function , It worked fine for 6-7 hours, and repaired 13,301 bad sectors then out of sudden it stopped at "Device not ready", now my HDD was...
  8. HDD & Partition

HDD & Partition: Hello, I have two internal HDD on my PC. So can I combine two HDD to one partition ? Can I know Pros and Cons of combining like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-partition/10ea9c37-41dd-47cd-ac5e-2541c2ebb4ed
  9. lost partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost partition: This has happened twice now and I'm very confused. I have a HDD and have partitions- "C" and "F" The "F" partition is what I'm having problems with. A few months ago I got a windows update and as a normal person I just updated this over night (This was a large update, not...
  10. Lost hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost hdd: Hi all, kind of got a problem as my D drive seems to have disappeared. OS is on my SSD so laptop running as it should, however I have all my games installed on hdd and it seems to have vanished. When I open device manager it is only my ssd that is visible. When I open view...