Windows 10: External HDD needs format

Discus and support External HDD needs format in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by menu, Dec 14, 2019.

1. menu Win User

External HDD needs format

Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear.
    To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please.
    Many thanks
    External HDD needs format [​IMG]

:)

2. doug4901 Win User

Format of USB HDDs failing

Thanks for the suggestion, .. I hadn't tried that.

I deleted the driver and then reconnected a USB external HDD, the PC loaded a new driver, but alas, I still can't format an external HDD

Regards
    Doug

doug4901, Dec 14, 2019
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Dec 14, 2019
  4. External HDD needs format

Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

External HDD needs format

1. External HDD needs format - Similar Threads - External HDD needs

2. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  3. External HDD

External HDD: What would happen to the Windows 10 installation on my SSD if I connected an external HDD with Linux installed on it, whilst using Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd/54e8dff5-f3f2-4f6d-8365-d6c9969434cb
  4. External HDD

External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  5. External HDD

External HDD: I have an older Seagate 1 TB external HDD, but my new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 won't let me open it. It shows up under my computer, but doesn't allow me access; it reads "You don't currently have permission to access this folder". When I click on "continue", it prompts...
  6. External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery!

External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery!: Last night I was copying files from External HDD over to my computer. It was a very long process and in my sleepy state I put my computer to sleep during the copying. When I logged back in the following morning the copy process appeared paused but when I went to restart...
  7. HDD Format result

HDD Format result: Last week I/we replaced an old 2.5 inch SATA HDD (500gb) with a Samsung 850 EVO, also 500gb. Laptop and all installed items are company supplied and company owned. Instruction memo from IT Dept. suggested using the removed HDD as a portable HDD by enclosing same in a SATA...
  8. External hdd recognized in comp mgmt but wants to format

External hdd recognized in comp mgmt but wants to format: My external hdd can be opened in pc, but in laptop it wants to Format. It asks to give it another drive letter, which I do, but still says " do you want to format?" How can I get this drive to open? I also tried Disc Clean. Same message. Thanks, Paul 97925
  9. Smart TV with USB - what format do HDD's need to be

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart TV with USB - what format do HDD's need to be: Hi there Query on playing media on a smart TV directly by using the USB connection. Most Smart TV's I believe have some variant of Linux - probably Android based - built in OS. A lot of the new ones have provisions for playing media directly via the USB connector(s)....
  10. Another External HDD formatted over with Windows 10 media creator

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Another External HDD formatted over with Windows 10 media creator: Hello all. Glad to be here. I know this or similar threads might have happened to another already or several but basically I was super tired and tried to save the windows 10 setup media creator onto my 500GB external HDD. And yes I realize now there was a warning but it was...