Windows 10: External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac?

Discus and support External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Long story short Toshiba HDD worked in the past. Something happened in the last 3 months or so and it now doesn't work anymore. Says : access is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BittyCascade432, Oct 30, 2020.

1. External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac?

Long story short

Toshiba HDD worked in the past. Something happened in the last 3 months or so and it now doesn't work anymore. Says : access is denied. Read on internet what solutions there are and I've tried the following :

1. Change security access -> I have no security tab in propreties
    2. Try and change the drive letter -> HDD is not recognized in disk management
    3. Uninstall and reinstall device AND update drivers -> didn't solve the issue

Before erasing everything and using chkdsk which might corrupt some data, what else can I do?

:)

BittyCascade432, Oct 30, 2020

2. Unable to access external HDD

I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups

to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times

due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various

suggestions to fix from Google - no luck! Now I have no access to my external HDD

as the drive cannot be seen in ‎File Explorer. Your help for a fix will be greatly

appreciated. Regards

Peternosmas, Oct 30, 2020
  3. No access to external HDD

Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite
    sending him/her a reminder I have heard nothing further. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND A POSSIBLE SOLUTION AS I CANNOT DO ANY BACKUPS!

I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups

to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times

due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various

suggestions to fix from Google - no luck! Now I have no access to my external HDD

as the drive cannot be seen in ‎File Explorer. Your help for a fix will be greatly

appreciated.

Peternosmas, Oct 30, 2020
  4. External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac?

External HDD not accessible in windows 10 (or Ubuntu)after using on Mac(still accessible on Mac)

I have 1TB Dell External HDD which was working perfectly on windows until recently. I have used the same HD previously on Windows, Mac or Ubuntu and it had no problems - it used to work on all machines.

Recently, i used it for long time on Mac, and later now when I try to access it on Windows or Ubuntu, it is not accessible. It doesn’t show any drives in File Explorer. diskmgmt.msc shows the info as in the pic (please note it shows 1300+Gb of space as whole while the HDD capacity itself is 1TB.

External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac? IlA9F.jpg

Even now, when I connect it to a Mac, it is working perfectly fine.

Is there any way to recover this HDD without losing the data?

Iqlas Uddin, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac?

1. External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac? - Similar Threads - External HDD accessible

2. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  3. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  4. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to Access External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Access External HDD: Hi, I am unable to access my 1TB HDD on my surfacepro 4 128gb. I could do that with my other computers, however on SP4 i am unable to. Once the below message comes, the system does nt response. I will end up removing the disk and do other things. Hence i have taken an...
  6. Windows can't access external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't access external hdd: Hello So I use a western digital my passport external hdd and windows 10. Previously its been a bit finicky, I assumed its been the cable. Typically it works fine and I store all my media on it. Yesterday I plugged it into my Samsung Q60T TV for the first time, hoping to...
  7. access denied to external hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    access denied to external hdd: I have an HP desktop with a ssd for a boot drive and I have been using an external hdd as my write to drive. An update caused BSOD and I had to do a fresh install of win 10, now I get the access denied 0x80070005 code when I try to change where new content is saved. All...
  8. No access to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to external HDD: Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite sending him/her a...
  9. Unable to access external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access external HDD: I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various suggestions to fix from...
  10. Mac external harddrives access.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mac external harddrives access.: I am moving my video editing work from mac to windows. I have multiple external hard drives where all projects are stored and would like to be able to access them through my new window set up without having to reformat. is there away to do this. I am running window 10 pro....