Windows 10: External HDD not detected

Discus and support External HDD not detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; As I got the new Lenovo ideapad Miix 310, I tried to connect my 2.5inch Samsung M3 Portable to it, because I have some installation stuff on it. And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TuN, Mar 17, 2017.

1. TUN
    TuN Win User

External HDD not detected

As I got the new Lenovo ideapad Miix 310, I tried to connect my 2.5inch Samsung M3 Portable to it, because I have some installation stuff on it. And while the HDD gets powered up and (usually) listed in Device Manager, it does not show in My Computer.
    It also doesn't show in diskpart or disk management.
    The HDD works normally in my other computer, and it always had.

I've tried removing the driver for it in the device manager, but it didn't solve the issue. I also noticed that I can't even run diskpart sometimes, when the HDD is plugged in: ( cmd(run as admin) -> diskpart ), diskpart just seems to be stuck, but when I unplug the HDD, it starts immediately.

What else is there to check?

:)

2. RudiEvert Win User

My external HDD is not detected by my desktop after windows 10 update?

My external HDD is not detected by my desktop after windows 10 update? I tested my HDD on other computers and its working fine.

What is the cause of this problem and how do I fix this?

Original Post :External HDD

RudiEvert, Mar 17, 2017
  3. Seagate External HDD not detected in Device Manager under Disk Drive on Windows 10

I had windows 8 previously, upgraded it to 8.1 and then to 10. Now, I am unable to locate my HDD drive anywhere in the Explorer or the Disk Drive. I have attached a snapshot of my Disk Managment.

USB is working properly as I am able to access my pen drives and all.

HDD is working fine with other Laptops.

Tried with the hardware troubleshooter as well.

Looking forward for the help. Thanks !!!!
    External HDD not detected [​IMG]

Subham_Agrawal, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Two things I've noticed about new computers and older USB devices: one is that older devices may not work well on USB 3.0 ports [usually okay on USB 2.0 ports] and the other is that tablet-like computers need an OTG/On The Go cables to get proper connections, my Dell Venue 8 is one of those.

Berton, Mar 17, 2017
  5. TUN
    TuN Win User
    Well it's a not an old external hdd at all, supports usb 3.0 afterall. Funny thing is that all the other usb sticks work normally. This is my HDD, and the laptop is for a friend, so he won't be using this one, but I hope his external HDD will work.

Thema:

1. External HDD not detected - Similar Threads - External HDD detected

2. Exernal Harddrive not detected-verbatim external gaming hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exernal Harddrive not detected-verbatim external gaming hdd: I got Gaming HDD from verbatim but when i plug it in it makes no sound and my laptop doesnt say that anything connected. I already tried updating my laptop, looked in disk manager and reinstalled drivers for usb on my pc but nothing helped. I tried plugging it into my old...
  3. External HDD not detecting after Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not detecting after Windows update: After the recent Windows update my HDD stopped getting detected. It had happened once before too but that time I had had to change the idle time and it had gotten fixed. So, I naturally thought that the update must have reset that setting and went and checked. It was fine. I...
  4. External HDD not detecting after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD not detecting after Windows update: After the recent Windows update my HDD stopped getting detected. It had happened once before too but that time I had had to change the idle time and it had gotten fixed. So, I naturally thought that the update must have reset that setting and went and checked. It was fine. I...
  5. External HDD not detecting after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. External HDD Momentarily detected b6y Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External HDD Momentarily detected b6y Windows 10: I bought a new 4T WD Element external HDD. My OS is Windows `10 64 bit and my laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 320. When I connect the HDD to the USB3 port the HDD pops up for a few seconds then disappears altogether and no icon can be seen in My PC. Has anybody encountered this...
  7. External HDD not detected in Windows

External HDD not detected in Windows: In Windows DiskPart say "Status: Invalid". How to fix it without data loss? The same external HDD works fine in Ubuntu but not detected in Windows. I had this HDD in computer and put it out of my computer because i have now only SSD's in computer. 182450
  8. External HDD not detected in Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD not detected in Windows: In Windows DiskPart say "Status: Invalid". How to fix it without data loss? The same external HDD works fine in Ubuntu but not detected in Windows. I had this HDD in computer and put it out of my computer because i have now only SSD's in computer. 182450
  9. Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD

Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD: Hi I have been trying to plug and unplug the Seagate 4TB External HDD with my Mac Pro which run Windows and was unable to detect my HDD. what is the cause of the problem and how can I recover it? Anyone can help or advice what should I do? Thanks...
  10. samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected

samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected: hello, i have a samsung external 2.5" hdd drive HM251JI worked fine in Vistas, will not work on my new laptop which had windows 8.1 and now windows 10. I plug it into the usb the drive starts up and the blue led is on but it is not detected on my laptop, not in device manger...