Windows 10: External HDD not showing in Explorer

Discus and support External HDD not showing in Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by djwoody, Jun 17, 2020.

1. djwoody Win User

External HDD not showing in Explorer

Hi.
    I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer.
    I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer.

The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive into another PC, it is not showing up in Explorer again.
    Surely I won't have to go into disk management for every PC I plug this device into, wouldn't windows auto-detect the drive?

Hope you can help.

Chris

Windows v1903 18362.836

:)

djwoody, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Jun 17, 2020
  3. External USB hdd not seen in Explorer

I have had a Seagate external USB 3.0 hdd connected to my computer for about a year. The computer has always had Win 10 on it. I went to use the computer the other day and I could hear the ding sound of the hdd being disconnected and then reconnected
    about every 30 min. I was not doing anything with it. I noticed that it is no longer listed in my File Explorer as a drive. I checked Dev Man and it shows the drive there under Disc Drives and under USB Controllers. When I hear the ding of a USB device
    being disconnected it disappears from Dev Man. I have tried another USB cable and got the same thing. I can feel the drive spinning up when it is connected. The light on the drive flashes for a min and then stays on solid like it is supposed to. I just
    cant see it as a drive in File Explorer. Any help is appreciated.

OrangeCrusher, Jun 17, 2020
  4. External HDD not showing in Explorer

external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

External HDD not showing in Explorer

1. External HDD not showing in Explorer - Similar Threads - External HDD showing

2. External hdd not showing in windows explorer after clean command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hdd not showing in windows explorer after clean command: I removed the internal hdd of my old laptop to use it as my external hdd. I tried the clean command on it using my new laptop but after that it's not showing on my windows explorer. I checked the disk management, its still there and allocated but it's not showing on windows...
  3. File Explorer will not show External HDD

File Explorer will not show External HDD: I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file explorer. I've experimented and found that it does show in Disk Management and Device Manager, but I'm unable to access in...
  4. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  5. HDD not showing in Explorer

HDD not showing in Explorer: Hello, I have an old laptop that doesn't have Windows on it. I wanted to put Windows on it by making a Bootable USB, but that didn't work. Then I tried to put Windows on the HDD of my old laptop with a SATA / USB cable and I have a problem with this. My new laptop is not...
  6. Explorer doesn't shows HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Explorer doesn't shows HDD: I'm working with a HDD where I want to remove partitions. I can see the disk and partitions in Disk Management but not explorer. I want to see the folders/files before I start deleting partitions. This is a removeable disk in a disk bay. How can I see this disk in Windows...
  7. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...
  8. HDD Shows in Devices But not in Explorer

HDD Shows in Devices But not in Explorer: I've got a zereoed HDD I want to format but formatting in win10 doesn't seem to be done by any disk handling prog I have found as yet. I was told to right click on the drive in Explorer and pick format. But the drive doesn't show in Explorer. the system sees it...
  9. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...
  10. External HDD showing twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD showing twice in file explorer: My external drive(Samsung) connected via usb3 has started showing twice in file explorer. Opening either shows exactly the same files inside. Screen shot below, I've never tried this so I hope I've done it OK Any help with removing the "imposter" would be appreciated....