Windows 10: External HDD not showing up in disk management

Discus and support External HDD not showing up in disk management in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vininhosts, Feb 9, 2021.

1. External HDD not showing up in disk management

My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use

submitted by /u/vininhosts
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vininhosts, Feb 9, 2021
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Feb 9, 2021
  3. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 9, 2021
  4. MS-Eric Win User

External HDD not showing up in disk management

File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

Disk management shows external L drive with 931.32 GB, but when I look at it in File Explorer, it only shows 453 GB.

The disk previously had three partitions (Mac, Linux and Windows). I used parted in Linux to delete the two non-NTFS partitions and expand the NTFS partition to the entire HDD.. So Disk Management show this result but I'm not seeing it in File Mgr or when
    I choose that partition in Acronis.

I thought maybe the old partition data was stuck somewhere in Win memory, but I stopped the computer, removed the external HDD, restarted the computer, plugged the external HDD in, and am getting the same results.

I'm running a fresh upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and most everything else seems to be going well.

MS-Eric, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

External HDD not showing up in disk management

1. External HDD not showing up in disk management - Similar Threads - External HDD showing

2. External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager: I was transferring data to my external HDD when the transfer dropped to 0b/s and refused to pause and cancel, eventually resulting in the window becoming unresponsive. I ended up plugging out the HDD at that point as I couldn't get it to eject. Subsequently the HDD was no...
  3. External HDD showing up as Local Disk H: and Not Responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD showing up as Local Disk H: and Not Responding: Greetings, I'm in desperate need of help. I have been using a Lenovo UHD F309 2TB HDD since 1 year , it seemed to work fine until today , when I connect it to the Laptop it shows up as Local Disk H: and the Storage bar is not shown , As shown in the picture. I tried right...
  4. External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer)

External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer): G'day all, I have 4 year old Seagate 1TB hard drive. I've tried connecting it to multiple Windows PCs but the same thing always happens: I connect it It makes the Windows sound that new hardware/usb has been connected. Nothing happens the drive does not appear in My Computer,...
  5. External Drive not showing up in File Explorer/Disk Management

External Drive not showing up in File Explorer/Disk Management: Hello, I have a Seagate external drive that isn't showing up on my PC. Windows makes a sound when I connect it, but it's not showing up in File Explorer and Disk Management. I've tried using a different cable one that works and connecting it to a different USB port, but it...
  6. External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding

External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding: Greetings, I'm in desperate need of help. I bought an WD My Passport HDD about 4 months ago , it seemed to work fine until today , When I connect it to the Laptop it shows up as Local Disk (F:) and the Storage bar is not shown , As shown in the picture. I tried right...
  7. Second HDD showing up in BIOS and Device Management, but not in Disk Management

Second HDD showing up in BIOS and Device Management, but not in Disk Management: Hello! First of all about my config Lenovo Y720-15IKB OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB Motherboard: Intel H170 ITX KBL-S( I believe, the system doesnt say it, I looked up on the internet) BIOS version/date: LENOVO 4GCN31WW, 2017. 09. 27. SSD: Kingston...
  8. External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer

External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer: Hi guys, I just tried to install Ubuntu from a USB stick alongside Windows 10, and have managed to make my external HDD disappear *Sad Halfway through my installation of Ubuntu I noticed that the software was trying to install from a 500GB drive (my external HDD)...
  9. WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management

WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management: Hey guys, I´ve been googeling this for a few days and can not seem to find the answer. So here goes... Problem: I have a 2TB seagate barracuda HDD that is not showing up in: - disk management - CMD -> diskpart -> list disk It does show up in: - device manager -...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...