Windows 10: External HDD not showing up in disk management

Discus and support External HDD not showing up in disk management in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vininhosts, Feb 9, 2021.

1. External HDD not showing up in disk management

My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use

submitted by /u/vininhosts
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vininhosts, Feb 9, 2021
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Feb 9, 2021
  3. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 9, 2021
  4. MS-Eric Win User

External HDD not showing up in disk management

File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

Disk management shows external L drive with 931.32 GB, but when I look at it in File Explorer, it only shows 453 GB.

The disk previously had three partitions (Mac, Linux and Windows). I used parted in Linux to delete the two non-NTFS partitions and expand the NTFS partition to the entire HDD.. So Disk Management show this result but I'm not seeing it in File Mgr or when
    I choose that partition in Acronis.

I thought maybe the old partition data was stuck somewhere in Win memory, but I stopped the computer, removed the external HDD, restarted the computer, plugged the external HDD in, and am getting the same results.

I'm running a fresh upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and most everything else seems to be going well.

MS-Eric, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

External HDD not showing up in disk management

1. External HDD not showing up in disk management - Similar Threads - External HDD showing

2. External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...: Hi all,I'm using a Western Digital MyBook External HDD 2 x 1 TB HDD. It is showing up as {Not initiated} in Disk Management and Windows prompt me to initialise the disks before using. As I have important data on the disk, I did not take the option. I notice that when I moused...
  3. External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...: Hi all,I'm using a Western Digital MyBook External HDD 2 x 1 TB HDD. It is showing up as {Not initiated} in Disk Management and Windows prompt me to initialise the disks before using. As I have important data on the disk, I did not take the option. I notice that when I moused...
  4. My new HDD is not showing up on disk manager, but shows up in BIOs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My new HDD is not showing up on disk manager, but shows up in BIOs: Hello, i recently got a new 4TB HDD from western digital's black brand and it's just not showing up anywhere, not as an unknown disk, but just not at all on windows, like it's not even plugged in, even though both sets of SATA cables I used are working properly due to me...
  5. My new HDD is not showing up on disk manager, but shows up in BIOs

My new HDD is not showing up on disk manager, but shows up in BIOs: Hello, i recently got a new 4TB HDD from western digital's black brand and it's just not showing up anywhere, not as an unknown disk, but just not at all on windows, like it's not even plugged in, even though both sets of SATA cables I used are working properly due to me...
  6. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  7. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  8. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management

WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management: Hey guys, I´ve been googeling this for a few days and can not seem to find the answer. So here goes... Problem: I have a 2TB seagate barracuda HDD that is not showing up in: - disk management - CMD -> diskpart -> list disk It does show up in: - device manager -...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...