Windows 10: External HDD problem

Discus and support External HDD problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How can I prevent my external HDD (and I guess other USB devices) from apparently shutting off since when I click on its letter it takes some time to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Random guy, Nov 19, 2019.

1. External HDD problem

How can I prevent my external HDD (and I guess other USB devices) from apparently shutting off since when I click on its letter it takes some time to show up its content and starts to make noise when accessing it (if I don't access it for sometime it will stop doing noise and if I click on its letter I'll have the same "problem")?

Even after doing a clean install the external HDD's still shuts off after some time.

:)

Random guy, Nov 19, 2019

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Nov 19, 2019
  3. keakar Win User
    Hvaing Problems with Old External HDD

its not easy to say without running a diagnostic test to see how it does.

i would suggest you take the drive out of the external case and hook it up inside your pc and test it that way so you can eliminate the chance it is the external case that is the problem. sometimes the connections inside the external cases can be bad.

keakar, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Robfusc8 Win User

External HDD problem

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Hi,

In response to your questions

• Are all of the external drives from the same manufacturer?
    Yes, they are all Seagate SRDO0F1 of 500GB

• Have you attempted to restart the computer that could not read the external drive and also try to connect the external drive to a different port on the computer after testing the external drive on another computer?
    Yes to both, neither worked.

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    No. PC-B is not permanently connected to the 'net.

I have used to 'Device manager' to check if there is an identified driver problem - nothing is flagged - and I would not expect one HDD to work, and the other not to, if there was a driver problem

Robfusc8, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

External HDD problem

1. External HDD problem - Similar Threads - External HDD problem

2. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  3. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  4. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Weird problem with external hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird problem with external hdd: I have one weird problem. My external hdd works on every pc I used it on. I recently bought new laptop and tried to connect my external hdd but it 's not showing up. I tried to find it in disk manager or device manager but it'not showing up. But then I tried to connect it...
  6. external hdd problem

external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  7. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  8. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Problem ejecting external HDD

Problem ejecting external HDD: Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though...
  10. External HDD problems...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD problems...: Hello! I am having major problems with my external WD MyBook Essentials 2TB USB 3.0. Windows 10 wont start up the drive anymore. When i plug it in. It recognises it as a hard drive "D:\" somehow, but totally stucks in a loop where it just keeps loading but nothing will...