Windows 10: External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine

Discus and support External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have 2 computers, one with w10 and the other with W11.When I put an USB port to w11 it reads fine, but when I connect and external HDD it wont....... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DanielDominguezP, Feb 9, 2022.

1. External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine

I have 2 computers, one with w10 and the other with W11.When I put an USB port to w11 it reads fine, but when I connect and external HDD it wont.... the thing is that on my other laptop with W10 the external HDD works fine., all HDD that I connect on my W11 are not showing on my pc.Any solution for this? who knows?

:)

DanielDominguezP, Feb 9, 2022

2. Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution....

My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3 port. The mouse is about 3 feet away from the receiver.

My mouse is a Logitech M310.

• I don't have the problem if a USB 2 external HDD is connected to either a USB2 or USB3 port.
    • I have moved the mouse receiver to different ports on both the front and back of the computer but this doesn't change anything.
    • If I move the mouse very close to the receiver (a couple of inches), it works so it seems that the wireless range is reduced when the USB3 HDD is plugged in.
    • If I connect a wired mouse, it works fine.
    • I have 2 USB3 ports and the problem is the same on both.
    • If the USB3 HDD is connected to a USB2 port, the mouse works normally.
    • I changed the battery in the mouse but this didn't help.
    • the USB3 HDD is a WD Passport that is self powered through the USB port.

Any suggestions?

dsscottage, Feb 9, 2022
  3. Klaw117 Win User
    External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

I should note that one drive is a USB 3.0 external hard drive while the other is a USB 3.1 external solid state drive. Both are being plugged into only USB 3.0 ports. The two ports that don't detect the external HDD and SSD will detect regular USB thumb drives.
    No, I have not tried different cables. However, the cables and drives work fine in other USB 3.0 ports either in the back or the front.

Nothing is listed in Disk Management.

These are getting power from the USB ports. The external HDD's LED turns on but does not spin. In other ports with the same cable, it does. The external SSD lights up too but the storage doesn't seem to be detected unless plugged into another port.

As stated above, all ports are USB 3.0.

There are no errors in the Device Manager.

Based on the questions/answers being given here. It sounds like there may be a power issue with the two USB ports. Do thumb drives and external drives have different power requirements?

Klaw117, Feb 9, 2022
  4. xtalgrwr Win User

External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine

External HDD/USB.

Hello.

I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB.

Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not.

Suggestions?

xtalgrwr, Feb 9, 2022
Thema:

External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine

1. External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine - Similar Threads - External HDD showing

2. External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine: I have 2 computers, one with w10 and the other with W11.When I put an USB port to w11 it reads fine, but when I connect and external HDD it wont.... the thing is that on my other laptop with W10 the external HDD works fine., all HDD that I connect on my W11 are not showing on...
  3. Windows can't recognize external HDD on USB-C port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows can't recognize external HDD on USB-C port: Hi community. My machine is Dell XPS 9560 (windows 10 2009), and it seems a problem in this model, but I hope tenforums can help me troubleshoot it. I am having an external HDD with USBC - micro-B cable. The specs document of XPS 9560 shows that the USB-C port supports...
  4. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  5. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  6. External HDD not showing in Explorer

External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...
  7. USB port will only recognize external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  8. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  9. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...