Windows 10: External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding

Discus and support External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings, I'm in desperate need of help. I bought an WD My Passport HDD about 4 months ago , it seemed to work fine until today , When I connect it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DictatorGator, Jun 29, 2019.

1. External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding

Greetings,

I'm in desperate need of help. I bought an WD My Passport HDD about 4 months ago , it seemed to work fine until today , When I connect it to the Laptop it shows up as Local Disk (FExternal HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding :) and the Storage bar is not shown , As shown in the picture.

I tried right clicking in order to change the sharing options but explorer.exe just crashes on me.

I need help because My External drive holds almost 1.2 TB of data and I can't store it anywhere else in my laptop as you can see from the picture so formatting the drive is also out of the equation.

Any help appreciated.

External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding c136db05-2619-45ab-8469-bb924208e4ae?upload=true.jpg

:)

DictatorGator, Jun 29, 2019

2. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 29, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    local disk f

This looks like the F: drive is the EFI partition having a size of 300MB. Open Admin Command (Win+X->Command Prompt (Admin)) and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition =====> take a note of the partition # having 300MB. My guess is partition 2
    select partition # =====> replace # with the number in step above
    remove =====> remove the drive letter
    exit

This should remove the drive letter and won't show up in "This PC"

P.S
    do not delete this partition, you won't be able to boot.

topgundcp, Jun 29, 2019
  4. External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding

Local Disk F

Yesterday I downloaded the new Window 10 update. I then started getting messages that said my local disk f was almost full, I needed to clean. I open Disk F and it shows that it is empty. I do not understand why I am getting this notice, or where local
    Disk f came from, or how to fix it.

AnneHoskins, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding

1. External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding - Similar Threads - External HDD showing

2. Why External HDD showing as Local Disk instead of USB Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why External HDD showing as Local Disk instead of USB Drive?: Hello,I have WD My Book 4TB external hard drive. I am connecting it to a router via USB to use it on local network and it says format not recognized. When I conect this same drive to laptop, it shows as local drive and I can access the data on it. While on the other hand, I...
  3. Why External HDD showing as Local Disk instead of USB Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why External HDD showing as Local Disk instead of USB Drive?: Hello,I have WD My Book 4TB external hard drive. I am connecting it to a router via USB to use it on local network and it says format not recognized. When I conect this same drive to laptop, it shows as local drive and I can access the data on it. While on the other hand, I...
  4. Why External HDD showing as Local Disk instead of USB Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External HDD showing up as Local Disk H: and Not Responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD showing up as Local Disk H: and Not Responding: Greetings, I'm in desperate need of help. I have been using a Lenovo UHD F309 2TB HDD since 1 year , it seemed to work fine until today , when I connect it to the Laptop it shows up as Local Disk H: and the Storage bar is not shown , As shown in the picture. I tried right...
  6. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  7. External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable

External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable: I changed the setting Of my 4tb External Hard disk to 'better performance' under the setting on policies.It was on 'quick removal' then ı changed it to see if it boost up transfer speed a bit but when I restarted my pc it didnt show up as it is before instead it is now called...
  8. Local Disk (F:)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Disk (F:): What is this it has a red bar? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-f/d814ec02-4fcc-4c5e-b32b-a4dc8e6db564
  9. local disk f

local disk f: [img] Hi everyone This has just appeared on my computer, and I cannot delete, can anyone please tell me how to get rid of this. Regards 60557
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...