Windows 10: External HDD time/date stamp is wrong in Win10, correct in Win8

Discus and support External HDD time/date stamp is wrong in Win10, correct in Win8 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been running into an unusual problem. I have an external hard drive that I use to store my photos. When I copy them to the disk, the time gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ablacnk, Jul 30, 2020.

1. External HDD time/date stamp is wrong in Win10, correct in Win8

I've been running into an unusual problem. I have an external hard drive that I use to store my photos. When I copy them to the disk, the time gets offset by -7 hours. So for example an image file created at 11am will show 4am on the external hard drive. However, when I check this same hard drive on an old Windows 8 laptop, it shows up correctly as 11am. Any idea what's happening here? Maybe it has something to do with the NTFS file system?

The photo/video files are created in a fairly barebones action cam (Mobius Maxi).

submitted by /u/ablacnk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ablacnk, Jul 30, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Time correct but date often wrong

Just one more check, takes a few seconds of your time.

As the time zone, computer location and time & date settings can all be set independently, it's worts to check the default formats. Simply press WIN + R to open the Run dialog, type control intl.cpl and hit Enter to open the region module of Control Panel and check that both Short date and Long date formats match your preferred way to present the date:

External HDD time/date stamp is wrong in Win10, correct in Win8 [​IMG]

If not, click Additional settings button and change them as you wish:

In Customize Format dialog you can either select a pre-defined format or edit them manually using following abbreviations:

• d = day of the month without leading zero
    • dd = day of the month without leading zero
    • dddd = day of the week
    • MMM = three letter abbreviation for month (APR, AUG, DEC and so on)
    • MMMM = full name of the month
    • yy = year with two last digits
    • yyyy = year with four digits
    • You can also add separators as you wish (hyphen, slash, comma, period, colon and so on)

3. Kari Win User
    Time correct but date often wrong

This happens quite easily because UK and US are next to each other in the drop down menus. For example in setting Windows 10 location in settings:

When you open the drop down menu, UK is just before US:

A millimeter / fraction of an inch mouse movement when doing a selection and you might not notice you have selected wrong country.

This mistake might go unnoticed as long as the date is 12th or less; after 13th you already realize the format is wrong *Wink

4. External HDD time/date stamp is wrong in Win10, correct in Win8

How do I time stamp my photos with the date/time?

In which case, the third app I suggested, Stamp the Photo, should work- it literally *visibly* stamps the date and time the photo was taken (from the details) onto the photo itself.

Good luck!

ToddAllcock, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

External HDD time/date stamp is wrong in Win10, correct in Win8

1. External HDD time/date stamp is wrong in Win10, correct in Win8 - Similar Threads - External HDD date

2. Mpcopyaccelerator.exe time stamp is dated 5 days into the future

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Mpcopyaccelerator.exe time stamp is dated 5 days into the future: Is this a valid windows process or malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mpcopyacceleratorexe-time-stamp-is-dated-5-days/16f61ac6-6245-4c5e-98a0-9cfe6b076378
  3. Mpcopyaccelerator.exe time stamp is dated 5 days into the future

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mpcopyaccelerator.exe time stamp is dated 5 days into the future: Is this a valid windows process or malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mpcopyacceleratorexe-time-stamp-is-dated-5-days/16f61ac6-6245-4c5e-98a0-9cfe6b076378
  4. File explorer time stamp for files is wrong, though the time on pc is correct.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer time stamp for files is wrong, though the time on pc is correct.: The timestamp on my docs is wrong, though my PC has the right time. How do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-time-stamp-for-files-is-wrong-though/e757c306-1883-49f2-b798-84b2da2e4638
  5. File explorer time stamp for files is wrong, though the time on pc is correct.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer time stamp for files is wrong, though the time on pc is correct.: The timestamp on my docs is wrong, though my PC has the right time. How do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-time-stamp-for-files-is-wrong-though/e757c306-1883-49f2-b798-84b2da2e4638
  6. File explorer time stamp for files is wrong, though the time on pc is correct.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Date and Time is wrong

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Date and Time is wrong: My date and time is wrong and I cant seem to fix it. I have it set to set automatic time and time zone but it sets it to pacific time when I am central. It shows its 2 hours behind. I would set it manually but then I have trouble with programs not working correctly as the...
  8. Time and Date Time Stamp Wrong - Uploading Photos on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Time and Date Time Stamp Wrong - Uploading Photos on Windows 10: Hello, I have been trying to upload photos from my iPhone to my windows 10 laptop. However, when the photos are uploaded to my PC, they are displaying the date of upload rather than the date the photo/video was taken. I even tried to go in to each individual photo and edit...
  9. Date/Time Stamp

in Windows 10 Customization
    Date/Time Stamp: How to add the current date and time on any Windows 10 document and program (that allows entering data), i.e., stamping the current date and time into whatever program I am using. Thank you....
  10. Time correct but date often wrong

in Windows 10 Support
    Time correct but date often wrong: I have a brand-new computer with a clean install of Win 10 which I've been using for about 10 days now. While the system time is always correct, every couple of days when I boot the system the date will be off by a day or two, usually ahead. I have reset the date in the BIOS...