Windows 10: External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

Discus and support External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone,I just have a new external HDD lacie rugged 5tb usb-c and having a problem with its writing speed.Case 1: laptop is already on. Plug in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DomHoang, Aug 5, 2022.

1. DomHoang Win User

External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

Hi everyone,I just have a new external HDD lacie rugged 5tb usb-c and having a problem with its writing speed.Case 1: laptop is already on. Plug in the external HDD in the usb-c port. Then I speed test with CrystalDiskMark, I got 130MB/s for reading and ~ 50MB/s for writing. The reading speed is good as the manufacturer declares.Case 2: Restart the laptop with the external HDD plugged in. Then speed test. I got full speed for reading & writing which both are around 130 MB/s. Then I safely remove the HDD and plug in again. The speed then is similar to case 1.My laptop uses Win10 with late

:)

DomHoang, Aug 5, 2022
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 5, 2022
  3. Jambon28 Win User
    Insanely slow HDD writing speed

Hi all,

I recently noticed a drastic performance drop in one of my HDD. It seems to take forever to copy even pretty small files.

The HDD is a SATA/600 2TB Seagate Barracuda.
    CrystalDiskInfo says Health Status is "Good" and all SMART attributes seem fine:

External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed [​IMG]

I ran CHKDSK in Windows: it says no issues were found.

But when I ran CrystalDiskMark 8, I found insanely slow Writing speed: around 75 to 100x slower than other HDDs in my PC!

External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed [​IMG]

I can't remember having changed anything in my hardware configuration recently.
    All other HDDs run at their usual speed.

I first thought "oh oh, no good, this HDD is about to die soon", but the fact that neither CHKDSK or CrystalDiskInfo find any issue makes me think this may not be the case. I've seen many HDDs dying in my life and it always comes with reading or writing errors first. Mine reads and writes well. Writing is just so slow.

So what is it? Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance guys

* Windows version: 21H2 (OS Build 19044. 1466)

Jambon28, Aug 5, 2022
  4. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this?

Kristian Lyngshede Lund, Aug 5, 2022
Thema:

External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

1. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed - Similar Threads - External HDD writing

2. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed: Hi everyone,I just have a new external HDD lacie rugged 5tb usb-c and having a problem with its writing speed.Case 1: laptop is already on. Plug in the external HDD in the usb-c port. Then I speed test with CrystalDiskMark, I got 130MB/s for reading and ~ 50MB/s for writing....
  3. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed: Hi everyone,I just have a new external HDD lacie rugged 5tb usb-c and having a problem with its writing speed.Case 1: laptop is already on. Plug in the external HDD in the usb-c port. Then I speed test with CrystalDiskMark, I got 130MB/s for reading and ~ 50MB/s for writing....
  4. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: Hello to everyone Let me explain the problem as follows: The hdd read and write speeds I plugged into the cnddy slot are very bad, there was no such problem before, then there was such a problem, how can I solve it 178342
  5. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...
  6. HDD in external hub spins after safe removal

HDD in external hub spins after safe removal: Win 10 build 17134. I have a HDD hub U.S.B. 03, auto-supplied. After ejection or safe removal or disconnection from devices panel etc-etc (I'd tried all the possible ways) some of my drives keep spinning (obviously also after shutdown as it has it's own plug). The hub has a...
  7. Slow write speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow write speed: Hi, best wishes for 2019! I've noticed lately that my writing speed is quite low. I mean when I copy/paste a large file from one disk to another, or from one disk to an USB external HDD. Things I tried already: - Disk Cleanup - Ccleaner - DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image...
  8. Slow HDD read and write speeds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow HDD read and write speeds: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-hdd-read-and-write-speeds/ef724e8b-5a8d-46f7-9e41-8073d3692146
  9. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...
  10. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...