Windows 10: External HDDs getting hot.

Discus and support External HDDs getting hot. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eracet, Jun 29, 2020.

1. eracet Win User

External HDDs getting hot.

Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c.
    I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs.

To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I have without going into detail the extent on the HDDs.
    If you want to ask that is fine.

2 Seagate external drives with the 2 usb on front of each.
    One goes to 2 WD storage drives.
    Other one goes to a small usb WD drive and a notebook style external HDD.

Both Seagate drives get plugged into the motherboard.

All WD and Seagate drives hooked to the USB are getting hot. Exception is the small pocket drives.

Anyone have an idea on why these are getting hot (luke warm to touch) or what I can do about it. Am I better just leaving it.

:)

eracet, Jun 29, 2020

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jun 29, 2020
  3. dermy Win User
    External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Jun 29, 2020
  4. External HDDs getting hot.

How to install Windows 10 on external HDD

Hello,

I have an external HDD. I want to install Windows 10 Enterprise which I have purchased recently.

Please guide me, if possible step by step on how to install Windows 10 on external HDD.

Thanks,

Siddarth Hegde

SidTheGooner, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

External HDDs getting hot.

1. External HDDs getting hot. - Similar Threads - External HDDs getting

2. Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?: I am curious to know the procedure for removing HDDS, SDD's and Flash Drives please.I used to just unplug them when they completed the chores I had given them. But lately I have heard that can cause "failure to connect because of Parameter errors". What's correct?TIA -...
  3. Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?: I am curious to know the procedure for removing HDDS, SDD's and Flash Drives please.I used to just unplug them when they completed the chores I had given them. But lately I have heard that can cause "failure to connect because of Parameter errors". What's correct?TIA -...
  4. Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External mSata ssd very hot.

External mSata ssd very hot.: Having tried HWiNFO64 to get temperature of external drive. = 53/54 Celsius Kingston mSata SUV500MS 480GB in aluminium enclosure via short cable to USB C/Thunderbolt socket. Machine uses AHCI. Task Manager shows ssd at gentle use but is nearly too hot to keep hand on casing....
  6. Increasing performance of External HDDs

Increasing performance of External HDDs: I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2. Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3. Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD...
  7. HDDs

HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  8. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs: I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?...
  9. External HDDs unmounting itself !

External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...
  10. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...