Windows 10: External HDDs unmounting itself !

Discus and support External HDDs unmounting itself ! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zimike, Feb 12, 2019.

1. zimike Win User

External HDDs unmounting itself !

I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720

My problem :

External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time !

10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and

you can't back them with an unplug /plug action !

:)

zimike, Feb 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount despite......

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• How exactly you are trying to unmount the drive. Is it through Command prompt or from Disk management?

• What exactly happens when you try to unmount?

• Did you receive any error message while trying to unmount?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Please close all the Windows before trying the steps.

• Open Disk management.

• Right-click the mounted drive that you want to remove, and then click
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• Click Remove, and then click Yes.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 12, 2019
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Feb 12, 2019
  4. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

1. External HDDs unmounting itself ! - Similar Threads - External HDDs unmounting

2. Why does my disk keep unmounting itself?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my disk keep unmounting itself?: I'm having a random issue with a SanDisk hard drive I bought. I wanted to just install Linux on a small bit of it and use the rest for Windows backups. After downloading Ubuntu 22.04, and partitioning it when asked, the installer crashed at the "Setting up user" section. So I...
  3. Increasing performance of External HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing performance of External HDDs: I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2. Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3. Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD...
  4. HDDs

HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  5. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs: I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?...
  6. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  7. Trouble mounting/unmounting external HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble mounting/unmounting external HD: I have an external HD that I can mount and access okay, but after some amount of time something goes wrong with it to where I can access folders but they are all listed as empty, and attempting to unmount brings up a windows screen saying the drive is being used by a program....
  8. Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive: I have created a mirror image on an external drive. I wish to dismount this drive until I need to make another mirror image. I have 5 external drives so I am unable to identify the drive I wish to disconnect using the Windows 10 Pro software. Does it matter if I shut down...
  9. Specific game unmounting HDDs

Specific game unmounting HDDs: I'm unsure of the particular field this should be posted on, but here goes... I have several HDDs in my desktop, 2 of which are shown as removable (i think hotswapping thing) and this has been of no problem for a lot of use for quite some time, so it never bothered me....
  10. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...