Windows 10: External HDDs unmounting itself !

Discus and support External HDDs unmounting itself ! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zimike, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:17 AM.

1. zimike Win User

External HDDs unmounting itself !

I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720

My problem :

External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time !

10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and

you can't back them with an unplug /plug action !

:)

2. Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount despite......

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• How exactly you are trying to unmount the drive. Is it through Command prompt or from Disk management?

• What exactly happens when you try to unmount?

• Did you receive any error message while trying to unmount?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Please close all the Windows before trying the steps.

• Open Disk management.

• Right-click the mounted drive that you want to remove, and then click
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• Click Remove, and then click Yes.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:20 AM
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

4. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

Thema:

1. External HDDs unmounting itself ! - Similar Threads - External HDDs unmounting

2. Help mkv movie files on external HDDs are steadily becoming corrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help mkv movie files on external HDDs are steadily becoming corrupted: I am having issues with Video files that previously played perfectly fine, in fact for one of the videos I know for sure it was okay earlier today as watched on my server but now it is corrupt/I am getting the following message. Missing codec This item was encoded in a...
  3. Unmountable boot error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unmountable boot error: Hello! My laptop has been getting the blue screen with the “unmountable boot error” when I try to start it up. I made USB drive of the windows media installation to try to fix it but it doesn’t show up. Ive tried changing the boot order & tried using F9 to select it but it’s...
  4. Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803: After the upgrade to RedStone 4 , I found it very difficult to shut-down ( switch off) of my external HDDs . When clicking on "safe remove" in the taskbar , I often get " still in use " ! I wonder ; in use , by what ........!! Only reboot allows a safely remove of this HDDs...
  5. Quick access and HDDs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick access and HDDs: I would like to add my Hard Drives to Quick Access through the registry or another way. Possibly not manually. Anyone got any ideas? 66087
  6. Specific game unmounting HDDs

Specific game unmounting HDDs: I'm unsure of the particular field this should be posted on, but here goes... I have several HDDs in my desktop, 2 of which are shown as removable (i think hotswapping thing) and this has been of no problem for a lot of use for quite some time, so it never bothered me....
  7. New HD unmounting itself / 2 Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS

New HD unmounting itself / 2 Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS: Hey, I corrupted my computer that was running perfectly for 7 years. The symptoms are: 1/ A 2nd Windows Boot Manager appeared out of the blue in the BIOS and is interfering with the 1st WBM. 2/ my 4TB Toshiba 7200rpm HD is randomly and frequently unmounting itself...
  8. No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup

No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup: Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution, desperately need to get this working...
  9. Fastboot/unmounting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fastboot/unmounting: Hi, I am dual booting with Kubuntu. Despite turning off fastboot, I still cannot get Windows to unmount on shutdown. Also Shift+shutdown doesn't work. When trying to access the NTFS disk in kubuntu I get the usual "still mounted" message. Any ideas anyone? 49131
  10. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...