Windows 10: External HD's showing in device manager, and disk manager, can't access files

Discus and support External HD's showing in device manager, and disk manager, can't access files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Apparently this has been a problem for a long time; why there's no fix is confounding and very disappointing. No, I can't allocate a letter drive to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by borachon, Aug 11, 2019.

1. borachon Win User

External HD's showing in device manager, and disk manager, can't access files

Apparently this has been a problem for a long time; why there's no fix is confounding and very disappointing.

No, I can't allocate a letter drive to the disks. Right clicking on them in disk management reveals no clickable menu items except delete volume or help.

This is not an upgraded Windows 10 it's a brand new Lenovo machine that came with this **** OS on it.

:)

borachon, Aug 11, 2019
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Accessing Disk Management

Hi Hilary,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the Disk Management on your
    Windows 10 computer may be caused by some configuration or some files are broken or missing on the system. To sort out your concern, we’d like to know the following information:

• Were there any changes that happened prior to the issue?
    • If there's an error message, can you provide us a screenshot?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Additionally, we suggest that you run the System File Checker (SFC) tool to scan and correct if there’s a possible integrity violation on the system. To do this, you may follow the steps provided on this
    link. Once you’re on the page, you
    may expand and proceed with the steps from the Windows 10, Windows 7, or Windows Vista option under the
    Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) section, and then complete the process. After completing the given steps, you may check if you’re able to access the
    Disk Management on your PC.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Joseph Ban, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

1. External HD's showing in device manager, and disk manager, can't access files - Similar Threads - External HD's showing

2. Cant access device manager and disk management and more

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant access device manager and disk management and more: Whenever i try to launch it, it says "C:\Windows\system32\mmcbase.DLL is either designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support....
  3. Cant access device manager and disk management and more

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant access device manager and disk management and more: Whenever i try to launch it, it says "C:\Windows\system32\mmcbase.DLL is either designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support....
  4. Cant access device manager and disk management and more

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager: I was transferring data to my external HDD when the transfer dropped to 0b/s and refused to pause and cancel, eventually resulting in the window becoming unresponsive. I ended up plugging out the HDD at that point as I couldn't get it to eject. Subsequently the HDD was no...
  6. Can't access external hard drive in file manager

Can't access external hard drive in file manager: I recently switched from a Mac to Windows 10, had been using my external hard drive fine, but I can't open it in file manager since getting my new PC. It connects, and it shows up in disk manager, but none of the previous fixes on this forum have worked so that I can access...
  7. M.2 shows on Device manager but not on disk management

M.2 shows on Device manager but not on disk management: Hello everyone, So I finally built my computer and it works well and every part was detected in the BIOS when it posted. However when I installed windows 10 (Version 20H2) Education on it, the second drive M.2 (the first one is where I installed Win 10) doesn't show in...
  8. M.2 shows on Device manager but not on disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 shows on Device manager but not on disk management: Hello everyone, So I finally built my computer and it works well and every part was detected in the BIOS when it posted. However when I installed windows 10 (Version 20H2) Education on it, the second drive M.2 (the first one is where I installed Win 10) doesn't show in...
  9. Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed?

Why external USB Hard disk is showing in disk manager & device but can't be accessed?: Hi Everyone, My laptop is Dell inspiron 7586 and CoreTM i7 processor, with Windows 10 Home. Recently my USB external drives 1GB WD external drive show up as INTERNAL Basic drives and not as REMOVABLE devices in the disk management. Even the external drive is labeled as...
  10. Can't Access Disk Management..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access Disk Management..: Last Time, it was working fine but now, when i was about to shrink a 1TB partition and make a 1TB partition to my 2TB HDD, this one showed up: [ATTACH] and I was like wait ****?? i havent used the whole 2TB so i want to have another partition for my other stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk drive showing on disk manager but cant access