Windows 10: External IP address tracking

Discus and support External IP address tracking in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Unfortunately my external IP address periodically changes. I find it frustrating when it does as I have a few machines and apps where I remotely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scottyboy99, Apr 1, 2017.

1. External IP address tracking

Unfortunately my external IP address periodically changes. I find it frustrating when it does as I have a few machines and apps where I remotely connect to FTP setup on a hard drive and also remotely access a camera inside the house. When the address changes and I am away from the home network I cannot access these things and need to update the new IP address in their settings. At the moment I can find it out even away from the home because one app I use actually somehow dynamically tracks the address so when I suddenly can no longer access my FTP drive I just hop into this app and look for the new IP address. It's actually quite infrequent to need to do this but it's good that I can.

the caveat now is that this particular app is old and with things like iOS moving to 64 bit only apps in probably the next release the old app will cease working. I have contacted the app developer about whether it'll be updated and they said they will not be doing so due to it supporting an old product (ibaby monitor). So I will be at some point unable to track my IP address. Is there a way I can find it out without fiddling about with dynamic dns and the like. I have other apps such as WD my cloud and Hive heating which obviously also dynamically tracks the IP but alas the apps are designed so that you cannot see the IP address, it just connects straight into the view of the drive content or Hive interface. I know I can wait till I get home to learn the new address if it changes but I would like to be able to fix this remotely if I can. All it takes is a brief power cut to trigger an annoying IP address change as the modem and router restarts. Is there a website I can feed my current external IP to which will then dynamically track so if there is a change I can query it? I have heard of services that can be run on Windows or Mac that fire off an email if change is detected but I don't want to leave these machines on all the time.

Of course this could all be avoided if BT (my isp) didn't change the IP address from time to time. Sometimes I have the same one for months on end but it will always eventually change. Annoying as to why do they do this! They only allow static IP for business customers

:)

Scottyboy99, Apr 1, 2017

2. Track IP Address

How to create a map that tracks IP addresses trying to hack into my laptop

<Moved from Virus and Malware / Other / Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats / Windows 10>

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet]

James Bingham, Apr 1, 2017
  3. Synchronization with exchange works, stops working after tethering to laptop, works again after reboot

Hi,

As the network administrator if the PC uses a different IP address to access Exchange since it is on the internal network versus the Windows Mobile device that uses the external IP address.

If this is the case, then the issue is with the DNS name caching. You should hard code in the external IP address if you can use it when you tether. The reason this occurs is that the DNS name lookup (ie: how the system translates the companymail.com to
    an IP address) is caching the lookup when you disconnect from tethering with the PC.

Pocket PC FAQ - Pocket PC, Handheld PC and Windows CE FAQs, Reviews, Commentary, etc!

Pocket PC Talk - Your place for Pocket PC News

Chris De Herrera, Apr 1, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

External IP address tracking

My ISP can set the IP address as Static for me at an additional fee instead of using DHCP. Static is useful for those running a Website on their own Server and may also be necessary for company networking. There are settings in Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab to make changes if not wanting to use DHCP but that most likely has to be done on each computer involved. From seeing issues posted concerning BT it may be harder to accomplish than with other ISPs.

Berton, Apr 1, 2017
  5. Ok thanks for that. Yeah BT will be no help. They are awful to deal with

Scottyboy99, Apr 1, 2017
  6. The only solution I can come up with is to install TeamViewer on one computer at home, then install it on your iPhone and/or laptop/tablet that you have with you. This will allow you to log into your home computer from anywhere. Then, once logged in you can look at Whats My IP and get the IP from there. Its a little roundabout, but it works.

ArazelEternal, Apr 1, 2017
  7. Thanks, looks like that's the way to do it then. I think I'll opt for teamviewer on the Mac as I'm not a fan of leaving the pc on 24/7. You never know what windows will do if left idle for too long! Plus Windows seems more vulnerable to be left on

Scottyboy99, Apr 1, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Plusnet is owned by BT but it's cheaper and they offer static IP at no charge

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External IP address tracking - Similar Threads - External address tracking

2. No IP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No IP address: I no longer have an IP address on my computer. I have tried all the fixes I can find online and nothing is working. I have normally been using WiFi but I did connect to Ethernet and nothing is working....
  3. IP Address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IP Address: Is there a static IP address for login.microsoftonline.com. Our tools are using Azure Active Directory to authenticate users and our customers have firewall to filter unwanted traffic. I don't see a static IP address for login.microsoftonline.com to allow it through the...
  4. IP Addresses

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP Addresses: I recently got a new router and during the setup I mistakenly "linked" the two IP addresses I have. How can I "un-link" these? Thanks, Julie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-addresses/08b2ff99-487d-4a03-8a21-3a1fd6ba4c4f
  5. Unable to ping or see external IP addresses

Unable to ping or see external IP addresses: On a Windows 10 computer, I have good network connectivity and can access websites with no problem, but the "connect" window in Jamulus that's supposed to display all connected servers was empty. Comparing with others on the network, we discovered one apparent...
  6. ip address

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ip address: how do I find the ip address on my printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-address/21cb2d30-43e4-430e-ac0a-63de4707dfb8
  7. IP Address.

IP Address.: How do I find the IP address of mu computer (running W10)? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-address/00092bb2-a514-4914-9938-3ca553c4e29a
  8. ip address

ip address: How do I find out what my computer 's IP address is? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-address/ede850f4-fbab-4931-8af5-50b7384ebadc
  9. IP Address

in Windows 10 Customization
    IP Address: How do I find the IP address of my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-address/2bb05fc1-6350-45a4-bd4d-fdd5a278655e
  10. IP Address

IP Address: How can I find my IP Address on facebook as I thank someone has tried to hack my account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/ip-address/4bba95ea-7fb3-4096-ae5e-95e62cbee6c2