Windows 10: External microphone does not work

Discus and support External microphone does not work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have the HP 450 G4 with windows 10 1809 update. Ever since the update the microphone on my new single jack (3.5 mm) headset won’t work or any other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ZarbabHasan, May 14, 2019.

1. External microphone does not work

I have the HP 450 G4 with windows 10 1809 update. Ever since the update the microphone on my new single jack (3.5 mm) headset won’t work or any other earphones with built in microphones (I've tried the iPhone ones too) I can hear sounds coming out of both of them but no microphone bars in the RECORDING tab in sound settings.

I’ve tried roll backing to the previous windows version but no use, I've checked privacy settings, I've run various troubleshooters and I've installed all the drivers after uninstalling them. And I've also tried it with a fresh Windows 10 download but still no use.

I just came up to the conclusion that the microphone on my headset is broken but it works on other devices and my Desktop computer so I don’t even know what’s wrong. I thought the port is dead but it can’t be because I can hear audio.

HELP!! I dont want to go back to windows 7 or 8.1 for that matter. And yea, I have the Conexant HD Audio driver as they're the only ones that work and are listed on HP's website

:)

ZarbabHasan, May 14, 2019

2. External microphones detected but not working

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with External microphone. I will surely help you.

I suggest you to run a Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Search for Troubleshooting in the
      Search box
      , and run it.
    • Select view all in the left pane of troubleshooting Window.
    • Click on the Hardware and Devices, and follow the
      on-screen instructions.

Please reach back to us if you still face difficulty with external microphone. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, May 14, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 14, 2019
  4. External microphone does not work

Microphone not working

Hello Sean,

For us to better help you, kindly provide the following information:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Are you using an external microphone or the built-in microphone on your device?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when using the microphone?

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, May 14, 2019
Thema:

External microphone does not work

1. External microphone does not work - Similar Threads - External microphone does

2. Audio and microphone not working externally

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio and microphone not working externally: the audio for my pc is not working externally , and also the microphone is not working.but if i use headphones/earbuds the audio & microphone are working perfectly...
  3. Audio and microphone not working externally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio and microphone not working externally: the audio for my pc is not working externally , and also the microphone is not working.but if i use headphones/earbuds the audio & microphone are working perfectly...
  4. External Microphone Not Working

External Microphone Not Working: I plug in my usb external microphone/headset to make a call with Google Voice. I then unplug the headset to join a Zoom call. I get a message through Zoom that I am not connected to audio. I plug the external usb headset in and Zoom does not recognize audio. The only way for...
  5. External microphone won't work

External microphone won't work: Hello, I have recently brought a hp laptop model 14-cf2518na which has one socket for headphones and external microphones. Headphones works fine, but I have plugged in two different external microphones both of which work fine with a different laptop and it doesn't...
  6. External Microphones Not Working

External Microphones Not Working: Windows 10 Home Lenovo S740 Issue: External microphones not working Built-in mic is working fine, but once I switch to a headset either bluetooth or 3.5mm wired, microphone does not pick up anything. I've checked the privacy settings, and mic is enabled. Volume for...
  7. External Microphone Not Working

External Microphone Not Working: I just restarted my Inspirion Dell Laptop I'm not sure if there was a windows update or not but when it restarted even though my headphones were plugged in it would use the built-in microphone. I've tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the microphone driver. I've...
  8. External microphone not working

External microphone not working: I have headphones that have a built in microphone, but whenever I try to use it, it doesn't work. The weird thing is that it was working fine a few days ago, I was recording my voice for something, I messed up and tried to do another take, but the microphone didn't pick up my...
  9. External Microphone not Working

External Microphone not Working: The update has broken my mic. If i plug in an external mic, it doesn't even show up in connected devices. Speakers or headsets don't show up either, but they do play audio when plugged in. The mic neither shows up or plays anything. If I downgrade the audio driver, the mic...
  10. External Microphone not working? Help???

External Microphone not working? Help???: Hello guys, So I bought a "Soonhua SH-666" Condenser Microphone to do voice-overs for my YouTube content. Problem is that my Toshiba Laptop does not recognize it. I have tried everything and the microphone just does not work on my laptop. I have one headphone jack and...