Windows 10: External Microphone Doesn't Show Up under Sound Control Panel's "Recording" tab

Discus and support External Microphone Doesn't Show Up under Sound Control Panel's "Recording" tab in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; An external microphone doesn't show up under "Recording" devices in the Sound Control Panel when plugged into an HP Envy 15t-as100 CTO laptop. No icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thimker, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Thimker Win User

External Microphone Doesn't Show Up under Sound Control Panel's "Recording" tab

An external microphone doesn't show up under "Recording" devices in the Sound Control Panel when plugged into an HP Envy 15t-as100 CTO laptop. No icon appears for the external mic at all.

After plugging it in, I do see the cursor flash like it's trying to initialize or something and the external mic will kind of work - that is, I get some output when it's plugged in, but it's very low in level and it only shows up on the the existing default Conexant ISST Audio Array's audio indicator.

Right-clicking in the Recording Devices window and enabling “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices” doesn't make anything else show up.

I have two external microphones and both do the same thing. Both also work fine on another computer, so there is nothing wrong with the mics.

I tried uninstalling, re-installing & updating the Microphone Array input driver. I also tried uninstalling the Conexant ISST Audio Device and re-installing the latest version. Neither had any effect. I also tried a system restore but that didn't help, either.

The external mic worked fine up until a few days ago : .

Any ideas?

:)

Thimker, Nov 23, 2020

2. External microphone not showing in the Recording tab

My Windows 10 laptop is not recognizing any external microphones. I have two headsets: a Bluetooth one and one for an audio jack. Both headsets work correctly on other devices. When I connect the headsets to my computer, I can hear audio, but the microphones
    do not work.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

• Updated drivers (they were already up to date)
    • From Sound Settings, headsets do not appear as options for the input device
    • Ran the microphone troubleshooter - headsets do not appear as options
    • From Control Panel > Sound > Recording, headsets do not appear as options. I have selected the disabled and disconnected devices options.
    • From Microphone Privacy, all apps have access to the microphone.
    That's everything I found online to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

TechWriterHeather, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Windows 10, Recording "level" in Windows Audio Control Panel?

Hi Benny,

Thank you for posting to our Microsoft Community.

Yes ,setting the level to 100 give you 100% of the input signal from your microphone.

Please check the steps and see if it helps,

Step 1: Testing for an audio signal

1. Click Start, and then Control Panel.

2. Click Hardware and Sounds, and then click Managing audio devices...

3. Click the Recording tab.

4. To test the microphone, speak into it. To test line-in, send a signal to the line-in port from the source audio device (press play from the audio player). Look at the gray bars next to the device name on the recording tab:

5. If the gray bars next to the device name change to green, this device is active and an audio signal is being passed through the microphone or line-in port. This step shows that problem is related to sound settings in the software that uses the microphone.
    If you have not already done so, set the selected device to default and adjust the levels. Once the device is set to default and the levels are set, use and adjust the sound recording or voice carrying software.

6. If the gray bars remain gray and inactive, the device is not recognizing a signal. Leave the recording tab open and go to the next step.

Step 2: Check volume levels and mute.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click Hardware and Sound.

3. Click Sound.

4. Select Speakers, and then click Properties.

5. Click the Levels tab.

6. Click the Muted button next to Microphone and any other line-in that is muted.

7. Use the slider bar to raise the level for Microphone and each line-in to at least 75.

8. Click OK.

Reply us if you have further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Naveen_M Win User

Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working

Hi Bill,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

There is an option ‘Automatically adjust microphone settings’ in Skype. Try adjusting Skype sound in the application by following the below steps:

a. Open Skype.

b. Navigate to Tools > Options > Audio Settings > Microphone.

c. Select the default device.

d. Uncheck the ‘Automatically adjust microphone settings’.

Also, I suggest you to adjust Skype sound in the control panel to fix the recording issues. You can do this by following the below steps:

a. Open ‘Control panel’.

b. Select ‘Sounds and Audio Devices’.

c. Click on ‘Playback’ tab.

d. Verify that nothing is set to mute.

e. Verify that microphone is checked under the ‘Recording’ tab.

Try updating Skype, if any update is available. Please follow the above steps and get back if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Naveen M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Naveen_M, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

1. External Microphone Doesn't Show Up under Sound Control Panel's "Recording" tab - Similar Threads - External Microphone Doesn't

2. Why wont my microphone appear in recording devices in sound control panel?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why wont my microphone appear in recording devices in sound control panel?: I'm using a USB microphone called JBL quantum chat its a headset . It is supposed to appear in my input or recording devices as JBL quantum chat but it doesn't. For some reason it does work occasionally. The audio works, but the microphone dosent I also figured out that its...
  3. Why wont my microphone appear in recording devices in sound control panel?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why wont my microphone appear in recording devices in sound control panel?: I'm using a USB microphone called JBL quantum chat its a headset . It is supposed to appear in my input or recording devices as JBL quantum chat but it doesn't. For some reason it does work occasionally. The audio works, but the microphone dosent I also figured out that its...
  4. Microphone not appearing in sound control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not appearing in sound control panel: I had to change my motherboard and CPU as I had fried them both by accident, and now I have a 5600x and an MSI motherboard B-550m pro-vdh-WIFI, if that can be useful. So, I wanted to play No Man's Sky with friends, but I was surprised to find that my headset's microphone was...
  5. Microphone not appearing in sound control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone not appearing in sound control panel: I had to change my motherboard and CPU as I had fried them both by accident, and now I have a 5600x and an MSI motherboard B-550m pro-vdh-WIFI, if that can be useful. So, I wanted to play No Man's Sky with friends, but I was surprised to find that my headset's microphone was...
  6. Microphone not appearing in sound control panel

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Control sound panel<Recording tap not working

Control sound panel<Recording tap not working: I just turn on my pc and Bitdefender me notify of cleaning a virus I thought of it was just a normal clean but then when I open sound settings then recording it's not responding or registering I do it's just frozen....
  8. Mic not working, doesn't even show up in control panel sound settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mic not working, doesn't even show up in control panel sound settings.: https://imgur.com/a/giFcab3 In windows 10 they worked perfectly fine until now since they don't pop up in windows. I don't know where the drivers are nor where i can even find them. I don't know what to do, I've tried all tutorials but they don't seem to work, literally....
  9. External microphone not showing in the Recording tab

External microphone not showing in the Recording tab: My Windows 10 laptop is not recognizing any external microphones. I have two headsets: a Bluetooth one and one for an audio jack. Both headsets work correctly on other devices. When I connect the headsets to my computer, I can hear audio, but the microphones do not work....
  10. No Enhancements Tab under Sound in the Control Panel.

No Enhancements Tab under Sound in the Control Panel.: Hello there. I have recently bought a new computer and the sound tab where you can access the properties does not have the Enhancements tab like my old computer did. I have the newest and most up to date Realtek Driver and I was wondering if there is a solution. Thanks...