Windows 10: External Microphone Issues

Discus and support External Microphone Issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external mic that, on my new computer, will not work no matter what I've tried. First I tried using the auxiliary jack to find out it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KyleCumming2, Mar 23, 2021.

1. External Microphone Issues

I have an external mic that, on my new computer, will not work no matter what I've tried. First I tried using the auxiliary jack to find out it was only output, so to remedy that I tried every video and post I could find on how to override that. I have installed and uninstalled Realtek audio drivers like a madman and still I wasn't able to get the audio control panel to come up or even the little icon on the taskbar. So I decided that instead of using the aux jack that I would try an external soundcard to plug the mic into, however after spending all of today disabling, re-enabling, and changing settings in device manager and control panel my mic still wont work. With the soundcard at least it will record sound, but it is borderline inaudible and nothing in the device properties will change that. My question is if anyone has some sort of solution I would love to hear it because the recording quality of the default device on my computer is just not great. I appreciate everyone's time in trying to assist with this.

:)

KyleCumming2, Mar 23, 2021

2. External microphones detected but not working

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with External microphone. I will surely help you.

I suggest you to run a Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Search for Troubleshooting in the
      Search box
      , and run it.
    • Select view all in the left pane of troubleshooting Window.
    • Click on the Hardware and Devices, and follow the
      on-screen instructions.

Please reach back to us if you still face difficulty with external microphone. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, Mar 23, 2021
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Microphone issues

Hi Michael,

Here are the possible reasons why you're getting an error "The microphone did not pick anything up" when using it:

• Incorrect settings (microphone is not set as default device)
    • Corrupted or outdated driver
    • Faulty device

For us to isolate the issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue(e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Have you tried connecting other microphone to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the microphone to the other computer?

In the meantime, we suggest running the Recording Audio Troubleshooter to find and repair problems with recording sound. We also suggest checking if your microphone is set as your default recording device. For troubleshooting steps, please see
    Geethu B's on this
    link.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Junaid_A Win User

External Microphone Issues

External microphone does not work

Hi Zarbab,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the microphone being in a disabled state. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      Small Icons.
    • Click on Speech Recognition and navigate to
      Advanced Speech Options > Microphone > Advanced
    • Check Real Conexant HD Audio, save the changes and exit
      Control Panel.
    • Restart the machine to see if the microphone works.

Meanwhile, you may also want to go through the troubleshooting suggestions given in the following articles and see if they help:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

External Microphone Issues

1. External Microphone Issues - Similar Threads - External Microphone Issues

2. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  3. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  4. External Microphone issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Microphone issue: Hello, I can't use my extranal wire mirophone. I used it in my laptop. but Now i can't use it in my laptop. I checked everything. Now I am using windows 11 but before that I have been facing same issue. I have done my all update. When I connect wireless headphone then I can...
  5. External Microphone Not Working

External Microphone Not Working: I plug in my usb external microphone/headset to make a call with Google Voice. I then unplug the headset to join a Zoom call. I get a message through Zoom that I am not connected to audio. I plug the external usb headset in and Zoom does not recognize audio. The only way for...
  6. External Microphones Not Working

External Microphones Not Working: Windows 10 Home Lenovo S740 Issue: External microphones not working Built-in mic is working fine, but once I switch to a headset either bluetooth or 3.5mm wired, microphone does not pick up anything. I've checked the privacy settings, and mic is enabled. Volume for...
  7. External Microphone Not Working

External Microphone Not Working: I just restarted my Inspirion Dell Laptop I'm not sure if there was a windows update or not but when it restarted even though my headphones were plugged in it would use the built-in microphone. I've tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the microphone driver. I've...
  8. EXTERNAL MICROPHONE

EXTERNAL MICROPHONE: Hi there i bought an external microphone a BOYA BY-M1 and i can not make it work. it just does not register on my computer at all when i connect it to my jack the mic is a 3.5 mm connector.ive uninstalled my realtek audio it didnt show on my computer that i had a HD audio...
  9. External Microphone Issues

External Microphone Issues: Hello ! I am using Dell-PC which has two 3.5mm ports one for microphone and one for speakers/headphones. I am using RODE MICRO for audio recording. My mic is not getting detected. I tried using both the cables TRS-TRS and TRS-TRSS, but still there is no sign : Please help...
  10. external microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    external microphone: i've found hard installing external microphone to my laptop, anybody can help me on this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-microphone/2e8b6278-a99b-496d-8003-f92d90222ddb