Windows 10: External Microphone not detecting when plugged in

Discus and support External Microphone not detecting when plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to set up my new Dell Vostro 3670 desktop running Windows 10 pro and I need voice input to the computer. When I plugged in a headset into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Larry Buschman, Dec 31, 2018.

1. External Microphone not detecting when plugged in

I am trying to set up my new Dell Vostro 3670 desktop running Windows 10 pro and I need voice input to the computer.

When I plugged in a headset into the headset port (port 5) on the front of the computer , I got the following

message when I tried to troubleshoot the problem (Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Recording Audio)

External Microphone not detecting when plugged in 50e4620d-73cc-46cf-9b60-0d4a4a048962?upload=true.png

Plug in the microphone or headset

The device does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection, plug in the device, then click next.

The headset is plugged in.

I have also tried using a stand alone microphone plugged into the microphone port (port 3) on the back of the computer.

External Microphone not detecting when plugged in 006efb6d-69f2-4059-8af1-9d266f8ba1ea?upload=true.png

The computer does not recognize the microphone when I go to Sound > Recording Tab

External Microphone not detecting when plugged in bebeb261-c0d5-4418-a340-23db817fa2f6?upload=true.png

What am I doing wrong?

***Original title: windows 10 voice input***

:)

Larry Buschman, Dec 31, 2018

2. External microphones detected but not working

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with External microphone. I will surely help you.

I suggest you to run a Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Search for Troubleshooting in the
      Search box
      , and run it.
    • Select view all in the left pane of troubleshooting Window.
    • Click on the Hardware and Devices, and follow the
      on-screen instructions.

Please reach back to us if you still face difficulty with external microphone. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, Dec 31, 2018
  3. Microphone not detected

I've run it, it says the problem was 'Generic audio driver'. But I don't actually feel any problems on playing audios. My problem was about external microphones not detected, this laptop wont detect any external microphones
    plugged in, it will always use the internal microphone. I've done the troubleshoot (recording audio) and the troubleshoot said they can't detect the problem.

M. Nabil Mu'afa, Dec 31, 2018
  4. Argel Obm Win User

External Microphone not detecting when plugged in

Plug in your microphone

Hi Sharon,

We need to gather more information for us to better understand your concern. Kindly provide the answers to the questions below:

• When did you start noticing the microphone notification?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the notification?
    • Are you using an external or a built-in microphone?
    • Can you please tell us if you're using an application that requires a microphone?

We highly suggest that you post a screenshot of the notification here for us to further investigate your concern.

Argel Obm, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

External Microphone not detecting when plugged in

1. External Microphone not detecting when plugged in - Similar Threads - External Microphone detecting

2. Headset Microphone not detected when plugged into onboard audio jack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset Microphone not detected when plugged into onboard audio jack: I recently did a completely fresh install of windows on my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55, and I noticed that Windows does not pick up my Logitech headset microphone when the headset is plugged directly into the on board audio jack. Looking through the device manager and in sound...
  3. "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...: Hello,I've recently had a new issue come up on my PC. My headset mic has seized to be detected on my Dell XPS PC Windows 11. I've never had this issue, and I've had the PC for almost a year now, and same with my headset. My microphone is not being detected no matter what,...
  4. "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...: Hello,I've recently had a new issue come up on my PC. My headset mic has seized to be detected on my Dell XPS PC Windows 11. I've never had this issue, and I've had the PC for almost a year now, and same with my headset. My microphone is not being detected no matter what,...
  5. How to enable microphone only when external microphone is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to enable microphone only when external microphone is plugged in?: When I unplug my external microphone, the built-in microphone activates. When I go into my sound settings and disable the microphone, it disables both the built-in microphone and the external microphone. Is there a way to set up my sound so that I can only have an external...
  6. Internal and External Microphone Not Detected

Internal and External Microphone Not Detected: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 7300 2n1 and I'm running a Windows Version of 10.0.19042 Build 19042. Both internal and external microphones are not being detected. All drivers are fully updated using the Dell SupportAssist app. I've attached a screenshot to describe this issue....
  7. Condenser Microphone Not Detected Plugged into the computer

Condenser Microphone Not Detected Plugged into the computer: Hello, I recently have got a laptop with Windows 10 Home installed on it. I have plugged my external microphone into the laptop and it has not been detected by the computer. I have connected the microphone to my Chromebook and it works perfectly. Does anyone know how to fix...
  8. windows not detecting external microphone

windows not detecting external microphone: I am using a remax 195 hb headset which was working fine untill suddenly it's microphone is not detecting, I have tested the headset on other device and there its microphone is working just fine. But when connected to laptop hp 450 g4 its speaker is working just fine but...
  9. Microphone Plugged In But Is Not Being Detected

Microphone Plugged In But Is Not Being Detected: Recently, I tried using my microphone, yet found it wasn't working despite using it only a few weeks prior. I went through a few settings and found out that my microphone is apparently (which is set to default by the way) not plugged, however it definitely is as I can see it...
  10. Headset is plugged in, but headset microphone is not detected as "plugged in" by my...

Headset is plugged in, but headset microphone is not detected as "plugged in" by my...: Hello, I've been using a bootcamped Macbook Pro (mid-2014) for Windows and already have the Apple drivers called "Cirrus Logic CS4208 (AB 93)", but have not been able to use the microphone my headset comes with. I can use the internal microphone of my laptop, and my headset...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The device does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection plug in the device then click next

2. microphone does not appear to be plugged in

3. check microphone not plugged in

4. external microphone not plugged in but i did plug in,
  5. the device does not appear to be plugged in. check the connection plug in the device then click next in windows 10,
  6. microphone does not appear to be plugged in but it is,
  7. the device does not appear to be plugged in,
  8. mic is plugged in pc but is not detected,
  9. my win 10 laptop is not detecting bm800 recording device,
  10. Microphone is not pluggedin even after pluging headset,
  11. my pc is contsantly detecting audio with no mic plugged in,
  12. microphone says not plugged in when plugged in,
  13. laptop not detecting external microphone,
  14. The device does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection plug in the device then click next in hp gaming laptop with combo audio input,
  15. detect external microphone