Windows 10: External Microphone was working, then stopped working after computer went to sleep

Discus and support External Microphone was working, then stopped working after computer went to sleep in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Zoom H4n recorder that I use as an external microphone for Zoom music lessons. I was using it with my previous HP Windows tablet with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MusicalHeather, May 13, 2021.

1. External Microphone was working, then stopped working after computer went to sleep

I have a Zoom H4n recorder that I use as an external microphone for Zoom music lessons. I was using it with my previous HP Windows tablet with no issues.I got a new HP Windows tablet 2 days ago. The microphone doesn't work. I checked the frequency, restarted the mic, restarted the computer, sometimes it works, but as soon as the computer wakes up the microphone is no longer recognized.This is a ridiculous problem to be having with what should be a simple plug-and-play device. Can someone PLEASE help me?

:)

MusicalHeather, May 13, 2021

2. Microphone not working

The microphone on my laptop stopped working. I have done a lot of trouble shooting without success. Before I conclude that it is a hardware problem, can I ask if there is anything else I should do.

My System:
    • ASUS S500CA laptop
    • Windows 10 Home X64 version 1909
    • VIA HD Audio - (for speakers and microphone)

Here's what happened:
    • The microphone was working perfectly (on Skype).
    • The next day it didn't work on a Skype call

Here's is a brief summary of what I have done:
    • The only thing that changed between these two Skype calls were a couple of Windows updates
    • I tried to remove all the recent Windows updates - didn't fix it
    • One update (4577670) couldn't be uninstalled so I restored the system to a date prior to the successful SKYPE - didn't work
    • I ran the Win trouble shooter - it reported no problem
    • I tried to update the sound/microphone driver - reported that I had the best driver
    • Checked the driver version (Provider - Microsoft, Date - 2019-03-18, Version, 10.0.18362.1)
    • Checked driver details (Report- No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device)
    • Updated to the latest Win 10 version (20H2) - didn't help
    • The speakers are working correctly.
    • I tried all of the above with the internal microphone as well as an external microphone (I tested all microphone alternatives in the setup - headset, external other)
    Is there anything else that I should try before giving up?

dsscottage, May 13, 2021
  3. External microphones detected but not working

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with External microphone. I will surely help you.

I suggest you to run a Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Search for Troubleshooting in the
      Search box
      , and run it.
    • Select view all in the left pane of troubleshooting Window.
    • Click on the Hardware and Devices, and follow the
      on-screen instructions.

Please reach back to us if you still face difficulty with external microphone. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, May 13, 2021
  4. Junaid_A Win User

External Microphone was working, then stopped working after computer went to sleep

External microphone does not work

Hi Zarbab,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the microphone being in a disabled state. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      Small Icons.
    • Click on Speech Recognition and navigate to
      Advanced Speech Options > Microphone > Advanced
    • Check Real Conexant HD Audio, save the changes and exit
      Control Panel.
    • Restart the machine to see if the microphone works.

Meanwhile, you may also want to go through the troubleshooting suggestions given in the following articles and see if they help:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 13, 2021
Thema:

External Microphone was working, then stopped working after computer went to sleep

1. External Microphone was working, then stopped working after computer went to sleep - Similar Threads - External Microphone was

2. Microphone on external webcam stopped working after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone on external webcam stopped working after Windows 11 update: I updated my new computer to Windows 11 yesterday. Prior to the update, the mic was completely functional. However, Once I made the update, the mic no longer works but the camera does.Make/model of computer: ASUS ROG Strix G17Webcam: ASUS ROG Eye SI do not receive any error...
  3. Microphone on external webcam stopped working after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone on external webcam stopped working after Windows 11 update: I updated my new computer to Windows 11 yesterday. Prior to the update, the mic was completely functional. However, Once I made the update, the mic no longer works but the camera does.Make/model of computer: ASUS ROG Strix G17Webcam: ASUS ROG Eye SI do not receive any error...
  4. External Microphone Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Microphone Not Working: I plug in my usb external microphone/headset to make a call with Google Voice. I then unplug the headset to join a Zoom call. I get a message through Zoom that I am not connected to audio. I plug the external usb headset in and Zoom does not recognize audio. The only way for...
  5. External Microphones Not Working

External Microphones Not Working: Windows 10 Home Lenovo S740 Issue: External microphones not working Built-in mic is working fine, but once I switch to a headset either bluetooth or 3.5mm wired, microphone does not pick up anything. I've checked the privacy settings, and mic is enabled. Volume for...
  6. External Microphone Not Working

External Microphone Not Working: I just restarted my Inspirion Dell Laptop I'm not sure if there was a windows update or not but when it restarted even though my headphones were plugged in it would use the built-in microphone. I've tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the microphone driver. I've...
  7. External microphone not working

External microphone not working: I have headphones that have a built in microphone, but whenever I try to use it, it doesn't work. The weird thing is that it was working fine a few days ago, I was recording my voice for something, I messed up and tried to do another take, but the microphone didn't pick up my...
  8. Microphone stops working after a while

Microphone stops working after a while: In the past 2-3 days, my microphone has been glitching a bit. It works fine for ~10 minutes after I reboot my PC and then it stops receiving audio signal. It seems to get a tiny bit of audio activity, but too little for me to even hear. I've tried changing my default mic,...
  9. External Microphone not Working

External Microphone not Working: The update has broken my mic. If i plug in an external mic, it doesn't even show up in connected devices. Speakers or headsets don't show up either, but they do play audio when plugged in. The mic neither shows up or plays anything. If I downgrade the audio driver, the mic...
  10. Microphone stopped working

Microphone stopped working: So I have had this microphone since August 2015, and it has now stopped working? The Microphone is a Frisby FMC-220 Any ideas? I mainly bought this mic to use Cortana. 25741