Windows 10: External microphone won't work

Discus and support External microphone won't work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have recently brought a hp laptop model 14-cf2518na which has one socket for headphones and external microphones. Headphones works fine, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BernadetteWard1, Mar 31, 2021.

1. External microphone won't work

Hello,

I have recently brought a hp laptop model 14-cf2518na which has one socket for headphones and external microphones. Headphones works fine, but I have plugged in two different external microphones both of which work fine with a different laptop and it doesn't recognise them. When you go into sound settings to the playback tab it just says its not plugged in, when it is. I've tried looking in all the sound settings but nothing changes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:)

BernadetteWard1, Mar 31, 2021

2. External microphones detected but not working

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with External microphone. I will surely help you.

I suggest you to run a Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Search for Troubleshooting in the
      Search box
      , and run it.
    • Select view all in the left pane of troubleshooting Window.
    • Click on the Hardware and Devices, and follow the
      on-screen instructions.

Please reach back to us if you still face difficulty with external microphone. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, Mar 31, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    External microphone does not work

Hi Zarbab,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the microphone being in a disabled state. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      Small Icons.
    • Click on Speech Recognition and navigate to
      Advanced Speech Options > Microphone > Advanced
    • Check Real Conexant HD Audio, save the changes and exit
      Control Panel.
    • Restart the machine to see if the microphone works.

Meanwhile, you may also want to go through the troubleshooting suggestions given in the following articles and see if they help:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 31, 2021
  4. External microphone won't work

External microphone not showing in the Recording tab

My Windows 10 laptop is not recognizing any external microphones. I have two headsets: a Bluetooth one and one for an audio jack. Both headsets work correctly on other devices. When I connect the headsets to my computer, I can hear audio, but the microphones
    do not work.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

• Updated drivers (they were already up to date)
    • From Sound Settings, headsets do not appear as options for the input device
    • Ran the microphone troubleshooter - headsets do not appear as options
    • From Control Panel > Sound > Recording, headsets do not appear as options. I have selected the disabled and disconnected devices options.
    • From Microphone Privacy, all apps have access to the microphone.
    That's everything I found online to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

TechWriterHeather, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

External microphone won't work

1. External microphone won't work - Similar Threads - External microphone won't

2. Microphone won't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone won't work: Hi, Windows 11Realtek audio driversDesktop computer with front and back audio and mic inputsMy microphone just won't work. Please help.I've gone through all the settings and watched a few tutorials but nothing works.I've Realtek driver installed and have audio and mic inputs...
  3. Microphone won't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone won't work: Hi, Windows 11Realtek audio driversDesktop computer with front and back audio and mic inputsMy microphone just won't work. Please help.I've gone through all the settings and watched a few tutorials but nothing works.I've Realtek driver installed and have audio and mic inputs...
  4. Microphone won't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone won't work.: Hi,Microphone won't work. please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-wont-work/8f565661-eb6b-4664-a629-8cd0f298fe65
  5. Microphone won't work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone won't work.: Hi,Microphone won't work. please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-wont-work/8f565661-eb6b-4664-a629-8cd0f298fe65
  6. External Microphone Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Microphone Not Working: I plug in my usb external microphone/headset to make a call with Google Voice. I then unplug the headset to join a Zoom call. I get a message through Zoom that I am not connected to audio. I plug the external usb headset in and Zoom does not recognize audio. The only way for...
  7. External Microphones Not Working

External Microphones Not Working: Windows 10 Home Lenovo S740 Issue: External microphones not working Built-in mic is working fine, but once I switch to a headset either bluetooth or 3.5mm wired, microphone does not pick up anything. I've checked the privacy settings, and mic is enabled. Volume for...
  8. External Microphone Not Working

External Microphone Not Working: I just restarted my Inspirion Dell Laptop I'm not sure if there was a windows update or not but when it restarted even though my headphones were plugged in it would use the built-in microphone. I've tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the microphone driver. I've...
  9. External microphone not working

External microphone not working: I have headphones that have a built in microphone, but whenever I try to use it, it doesn't work. The weird thing is that it was working fine a few days ago, I was recording my voice for something, I messed up and tried to do another take, but the microphone didn't pick up my...
  10. External Microphone not Working

External Microphone not Working: The update has broken my mic. If i plug in an external mic, it doesn't even show up in connected devices. Speakers or headsets don't show up either, but they do play audio when plugged in. The mic neither shows up or plays anything. If I downgrade the audio driver, the mic...