Windows 10: External Monitor All Black

Discus and support External Monitor All Black in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an HP Spectre X360 15" that is set up as dual boot Windows 10 / Ubuntu Linux. It has a Dell 23" external monitor connected via HDMI. I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MarkWetzelWNY, Jun 30, 2019.

1. External Monitor All Black

I have an HP Spectre X360 15" that is set up as dual boot Windows 10 / Ubuntu Linux. It has a Dell 23" external monitor connected via HDMI. I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively over the past several months due to a project I'm working on. When I use the laptop screen, Windows 10 works fine. However, when I try to switch over to the external monitor it detects it, but nothing ever appears on the monitor screen. If I unplug and reinsert the HDMI, the monitor wakes up, but says that no HDMI signal is detected. The monitor works fine in Linux. The monitor also works fine if plugged into the HDMI port on another computer running Windows 10.

In the Windows display settings it does detect the monitor and shows the correct model number, etc. However, it never displays anything. I've checked my drivers and they are all up to date. What can I try next?

:)

MarkWetzelWNY, Jun 30, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jun 30, 2019
  3. my acer aspire laptop dosent detect external vga monitor .

Hi Sivaram,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    This issue might be happening because of the faulty drivers. That’s the reason you are getting intermittent connection on external monitor.

However, you may try the below suggested steps.

Step 1: Try connecting on a different monitor and check if the issue still persists.

Step 2: Try using a different VGA cable to connect with external monitor and check the status of the issue.

Step 3: Update display driver adapters

You may refer the article
    Update drivers in Windows 10
    and check the status of the issue.

Step 4: Check for an updated Video driver on the

Acer drivers and Manuals page

For more information you may also refer
    troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jun 30, 2019
  4. External Monitor All Black

External Monitor is detected, but black

My monitor was working perfectly this morning. I left for lunch and came back to a black screen. I've tried installing updates and the hdmi cord, but nothing has fixed this.

The monitor is detected, as I can drag windows over to it. It's just black. Any suggestions?

HeatherClark2, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

External Monitor All Black

1. External Monitor All Black - Similar Threads - External Monitor Black

2. My screen goes black on all monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screen goes black on all monitors: HiI have 1 tv and 2 monitors for my7 desktop and when ever I am playing a game can be any game, but all of my monitors plus tv goes black for a couple of seconds then my screen is back but depending on the game it crashes, I have checked if my drivers is up to date anbd they...
  3. My screen goes black on all monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screen goes black on all monitors: HiI have 1 tv and 2 monitors for my7 desktop and when ever I am playing a game can be any game, but all of my monitors plus tv goes black for a couple of seconds then my screen is back but depending on the game it crashes, I have checked if my drivers is up to date anbd they...
  4. External monitor detected but showing full black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor detected but showing full black screen: Hi all,I connected my external monitor to my laptop with two different HDMI-cables. My laptop screen 'pops' as if it has connected and in the display settings the second screen is shown. I also can drag my cursor to the second monitor, but I can't see the cursor there. The...
  5. Monitor blacks crush all detail

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor blacks crush all detail: Brown hair is pitch black and anything darker than a light grey suit is also pitch black. I haven't super boosted the contrast, all settings are as from the factory, and my monitor brightness is maxed out. Watching YouTube reviews for my monitor on my phone I can see the...
  6. External monitor going black

External monitor going black: I have a laptop with a damaged screen, so I started using a flat screen TV as a monitor connected with an HDMI cable. I actually have 2 different Dynex flat screens. Both used to work fine. Now one the larger, newer one will display for a short period then go black. The...
  7. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...
  8. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...
  9. Black border all around monitor

Black border all around monitor: Hi there, I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 pro. And I'm having black border all around my screen. I know that I need to get to Catalyst control to fix it but I don't have the right driver to do that. Can you help me get the right driver? Dell Studio XPS 435T...
  10. External Monitor is detected, but black

External Monitor is detected, but black: My monitor was working perfectly this morning. I left for lunch and came back to a black screen. I've tried installing updates and the hdmi cord, but nothing has fixed this. The monitor is detected, as I can drag windows over to it. It's just black. Any suggestions?...