Windows 10: External monitor and sleep

Discus and support External monitor and sleep in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a laptop with an external (HDMI) monitor. When it sleeps the windows that are open change to a smaller size, sometimes but not always, is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by rboppy, Jun 21, 2019.

1. rboppy Win User

External monitor and sleep

I have a laptop with an external (HDMI) monitor. When it sleeps the windows that are open change to a smaller size, sometimes but not always, is this typical or is something amiss? Project is always set to 'Second screen only'.
    Windows 10 - 1809 - 17763.557

:)

rboppy, Jun 21, 2019

2. After waking from Sleep Windows does not detect two external monitors

Hi Arifeen,

As per your description, I understand that when your PC goes to Sleep the two external monitors that are attached to your PC do not wake. Upon reboot, the setting personalized in the other two monitors are lost which enforces you to re-set the settings.

The issue is most likely with the graphics driver. Whenever a single monitor is disconnected from a multimonitor setup in Windows, Windows will attempt to move everything from that screen onto the remaining screen(s). Usually, this will not occur when
    suspending/hibernating/shutting down the computer. Thus, it is probably because of the graphics driver doing one of the following:

• 'Disconnecting' the monitors when you put the computer to sleep, so when Windows awakens, it must re-determine where to place everything.
    • Recognizing the monitors in a different order each time you bring the computer out of sleep, forcing Windows to rearrange your application windows.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you open Windows Update and check if there are any pending updates related to your PC as well as your graphic card driver. If so, disconnect all external devices other than mouse and keyboard, install the updates and
    check.

If the above did not help, then I suggest that you uninstall your graphic card driver and re-install the latest driver update available from the manufacturer's website. To learn how to perform the same, refer to the steps outlined in the link below

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jun 21, 2019
  4. Romel Ram Win User

External Monitor with Quicken

Hi Mark,

It is possible that the display resolution automatically adjusts after connecting to an external monitor. For us to properly isolate this issue, we have some questions for you:

• Are you experiencing the same issue even without using the Quicken tool?
    • Have you checked if the display resolution settings of the Surface device and the external monitor is the same?
    • Have you tried checking for a graphics device driver update?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to isolate the issue?

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

1. External monitor and sleep - Similar Threads - External monitor sleep

2. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange: I'm talking about this https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/many articles have been written about this but meanwhile things still don't workI tried joining the Insider Program, but it didn't offer me any new updates. I feel like that...
  3. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange: I'm talking about this https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/many articles have been written about this but meanwhile things still don't workI tried joining the Insider Program, but it didn't offer me any new updates. I feel like that...
  4. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sleep power option similar to MacOS for external monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep power option similar to MacOS for external monitor?: I often use my laptops connected to an external monitor and external power with the laptop lid closed. Is there a way to mimic the sleep behavior of a Mac laptop when connected to external monitor and external power when the lid is closed? Windows 10 can be told to "do...
  6. External Monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitors: I am using the surface pro 3 and the surface doc to set up two external monitors. I have had the monitors working correctly without any problems, but I experience problems when I shut down the surface pro or disconnect from the doc. The monitors appear in the display menu,...
  7. External monitors NOT sleeping when docked to a closed laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitors NOT sleeping when docked to a closed laptop: Hi guys - i just joined reddit in hopes that one of yall could help me out. I have two external monitors hooked up to a docking station, which i connect my laptop (closed) to. So the only monitors that are active are the external ones. The issue i am having is that the...
  8. External monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor: I cannot connect an external DeskLab monitor via the USB-C port. All other devices connected via the same USB port work. The monitor also works connected via the Type-C connector to the Samsung S10e Smartphone. Maybe I need to enable some of this Win10 parameter? Juozas,...
  9. External monitor and sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    External monitor and sleep: I have a laptop with an external (HDMI) monitor. When it sleeps the windows that are open change to a smaller size, sometimes but not always, is this typical or is something amiss? Project is always set to 'Second screen only'. Windows 10 - 1809 - 17763.557 135223
  10. External monitor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External monitor: I'm wondering if I can connect a external monitor to use with this laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/external-monitor/1da79127-078f-421c-9bbb-b481ab55ab7e