Windows 10: External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off

Discus and support External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently got an external monitor, Lenovo L24q-20, which I use with my HP Envy Laptop. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ConceptEight, Dec 31, 2017.

1. External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off

I recently got an external monitor, Lenovo L24q-20, which I use with my HP Envy Laptop. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled with buttons on the monitor, and is by default set to 80/100. This is a bit too bright for me so I set it down to 50/100, and all is well. However, when my laptop/the monitor go to sleep, when I wake my computer back up the value has reset to 80/100. Does anyone know why this is and any fixes I could try. I've restarted the computer and updated the drivers so far.

:)

ConceptEight, Dec 31, 2017

2. windows 10 startup

When I turn on my computer, the monitor flashes but the turns black. I then turn the computer off. This may happen a few times by turning the computer on, waiting a minute or so, and turning it off. When that is done, I turn the computer on and it eventually
    the monitor stays as a bright screen. After I turn the bright screen off, wait a minute and then turn the computer on again, I finally get to the home page and proceed normally. Anybody got a clue?

PeterKelly1, Dec 31, 2017
  3. Laptop screen stays off after sleep.

I think this started happening after an update(INTEL HD Graphics 530). I have a 2015 Alienware 17 r3 with windows 10. Everything was going fine, but recently, if the laptop screen goes into sleep mode, then i press the power button, the laptop will turn
    on but the laptop screen wont. I have connected an external monitor that does turn on. I have looked into power settings and monitor settings but nothing helps. What should I do????

-I notice that when i go into display settings, under Multiple Displays it only stays on "display number 2(external monitor). I cannot change it to duplicate display. Even if i press windows+P, i cannot get it to duplicate display. So the monitor is definitely
    off for some reason.

-UPDATE - Ok, so now while both monitors are connected. After i wake from sleep, the laptop monitor is still off but the external monitor is on. If i hit windows+P and select "PC screen only" the laptop monitor will turn back on. Can't figure out how to
    fix this.

- If the laptop is in sleep mode and the hdmi (for external monitor) is disconnected, the screen is will stay off if i turn it back on, however, when i connect the hdmi cable for the external monitor, the laptop screen turns on when the external screen does.

-Im going to do a reset on my computer and see if that helps.

DavidG42393, Dec 31, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off

Hi there. WinKey/A > Make sure the lower is expanded > Turn the Night Light off if it's on by clicking on it.

If that's not it > Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Click on "Additional power settings" at the right > Once there, click the “Change plan settings” link on the selected plan > Browse down to Display –> Enable adaptive brightness, and change the settings there to Off.

If that doesn't work revert that back.

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  5. I think I wasn't clear when I described the brightness issue. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled within the settings of the monitor, not within my laptop. I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about.
    External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off [​IMG]

External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off [​IMG]

6. Tony K Win User
    You were clear. I understood. Just wanted to make sure the system wasn't affecting it.

Has it always done this? Is this a brand new monitor?

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  7. Yes, since I got it yesterday.

8. Tony K Win User

Hmm. The monitor should keep its settings of course.

Does changing the brightness of your laptop screen affect the secondary monitor at all? Try while both are on.

Go here, fill out the info, and see what you can find: Search results | Lenovo US

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  9. As it turns out, the monitor was in Web Pic mode when it should have been in Text Mode. In Text Mode, the brightness settings persist when the monitor is turned off. Horrendous design given that it wasn't in the documentation that came with the monitor or the online documentation, I only found out from reading reviews on Amazon, but oh well, I'm glad it's fixed. Thank you for the help

10. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed as well. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off - Similar Threads - External Monitor Brightness

2. external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode: I changed my external motinor refresh rate to too high and now extended mode doesnt work. when i try to extend my displays it automaticaly turs to laptop display and main display shows LOST SIGNAL. O duplicate mode everything works fine. I think I have to reset refresh rate...
  3. external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode: I changed my external motinor refresh rate to too high and now extended mode doesnt work. when i try to extend my displays it automaticaly turs to laptop display and main display shows LOST SIGNAL. O duplicate mode everything works fine. I think I have to reset refresh rate...
  4. Monitor turning off when resetting PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turning off when resetting PC: I was given a gaming PC. The person who I bought it off of did not factory reset the PC when he sold it. I go to reset the PC but my moniter turns off and it disrupts the resetting process, what do I do?...
  5. Monitor turning off when resetting PC

Monitor turning off when resetting PC: I was given a gaming PC. The person who I bought it off of did not factory reset the PC when he sold it. I go to reset the PC but my moniter turns off and it disrupts the resetting process, what do I do?...
  6. External monitor is turning on and off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor is turning on and off: Hello, today I woke up and the monitor that is connected to my laptop has started flickering on and off when I connect it with my HDMI cord. The monitor itself isn't broken because when I unplug the cord the monitor will stay on fine. This has happened before and I fixed it...
  7. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  8. How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor: [ATTACH]If you want to turn off the laptop screen when using an external monitor, you can follow this guide. It is possible to switch off […] This article How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. External Monitor too bright

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor too bright: Acer external monitor on Windows 10 32 bit. There is no physical button on the monitor offering brightness control. There is no way of getting into the User option which you can move to but not change And Windows does not offer a brightness control/slider Help!...
  10. when to turn off monitor - keeps resetting?

in Windows 10 Support
    when to turn off monitor - keeps resetting?: I changed it to never turn off my display. Yet it keeps reverting back to 15 mins. Any ideas what is causing this? 46555