Windows 10: External monitor disconnects when laptop is locked

Discus and support External monitor disconnects when laptop is locked in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone, apologies if this is not the right place to post this question. Recently, I made the jump from MacOS to Windows10. I enjoy listening to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GabrielXCrescendo, Feb 20, 2020.

1. External monitor disconnects when laptop is locked

Hi everyone, apologies if this is not the right place to post this question.

Recently, I made the jump from MacOS to Windows10. I enjoy listening to Chillstep music on YouTube when studying with my laptop locked and showing the Aerial Screensaver while on Mac. For Windows, I'm happy with the default Windows Spotlight wallpapers displayed on the lockscreen. However, after a minute on the lockscreen, the connection to my external monitor gets disconnected, and the music continues playing on the laptop.

Here are some of the steps I have done without any luck:

• On battery power, turn off after : 30mins

• When plugged in, turn off after : 30mins

• Sleep: Never

• Power mode: Best performance

By the way, I've set my laptop to only show display on my external monitor. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

submitted by /u/GabrielXCrescendo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GabrielXCrescendo, Feb 20, 2020
  2. Cbowers3 Win User

Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Feb 20, 2020
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

4. Junaid_A Win User

External monitor disconnects when laptop is locked

Primary monitor blacks out after disconnecting from external

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This issue could be due to the display setting corruption that only affected the primary display when disconnected from the secondary.

I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you:

• Press ‘Win + R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
      appwiz.cpl
    • Uninstall Intel HD Graphics Drivers and exit
      Programs and Features.
    • Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Device Manager
    • Expand Display Adapters and right click on
      Intel HD Graphics Display Driver.
    • Click on Uninstall and check the box
      Delete the driver software for this device.

• With the external monitor connected, reboot the machine.
    • Once the machine boots into the desktop, disconnect the external monitor and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

External monitor disconnects when laptop is locked

1. External monitor disconnects when laptop is locked - Similar Threads - External monitor disconnects

2. My laptop is freezing once it's disconnected to an external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is freezing once it's disconnected to an external monitor: Hi,I have an issue on my 6 weeks old HP Omen Gaming Laptop. Most of the time I have two different monitors connected to the laptop and everything works just fine anyway as soon as I dissconnect the monitors the screen on my Laptop freezes. I have talked to the reseller and...
  3. My laptop is freezing once it's disconnected to an external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop is freezing once it's disconnected to an external monitor: Hi,I have an issue on my 6 weeks old HP Omen Gaming Laptop. Most of the time I have two different monitors connected to the laptop and everything works just fine anyway as soon as I dissconnect the monitors the screen on my Laptop freezes. I have talked to the reseller and...
  4. Windows 10 randomly disconnects external monitors when laptop screen is open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 randomly disconnects external monitors when laptop screen is open: I searched around for similar topics but none I found really aligned with an issue that crops up periodically.Our general setup is:Dell Latitude 7xxx/9xxx series laptopDell USB-C hub monitor 24" using ThunderboltDell Ultrasharp monitor 24" connected via MST and downstream...
  5. Windows 10 randomly disconnects external monitors when laptop screen is open

Windows 10 randomly disconnects external monitors when laptop screen is open: I searched around for similar topics but none I found really aligned with an issue that crops up periodically.Our general setup is:Dell Latitude 7xxx/9xxx series laptopDell USB-C hub monitor 24" using ThunderboltDell Ultrasharp monitor 24" connected via MST and downstream...
  6. Windows 10 randomly disconnects external monitors when laptop screen is open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Laptop keeps locking me out when I use external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps locking me out when I use external monitor: This only happens when I use the external monitor only and close the lid on the laptop. I am running Win11I’ve set close lid “do nothing” I’ve turned dynamic lock off I’ve set screensaver to blank I’ve pushed sound output to the monitor However connecting my laptop straight...
  8. Laptop keeps locking me out when I use external monitor

Laptop keeps locking me out when I use external monitor: This only happens when I use the external monitor only and close the lid on the laptop. I am running Win11I’ve set close lid “do nothing” I’ve turned dynamic lock off I’ve set screensaver to blank I’ve pushed sound output to the monitor However connecting my laptop straight...
  9. Windows 11: Laptop Brightness Dims when I Connect/Disconnect External Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Laptop Brightness Dims when I Connect/Disconnect External Monitor: Please see video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Ann9iLAdmVP02itsGdcm7DoBuxubwJ0/view?usp=sharingMy laptop changes brightness when I connect/disconnect external monitor. This has been an issue for a while, ever since I upgraded to Windows 11. This never happened on Windows...
  10. Locked taskbar resizes after reboot or disconnecting external monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked taskbar resizes after reboot or disconnecting external monitors: Hi. Would LOVE to fix this. Would owe a huge debt of gratitude to anyone who could crack the mystery! Lived with it for several years at work, figuring it had something to do with corporate-controlled configuration. However, now have a brand new personal Dell Inspiron 7506...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. window L external screen disconnects

2. hp laptop disconnects from monitor