Windows 10: External monitor goes blank when laptop lid shut - power settings set to do nothing when...

Discus and support External monitor goes blank when laptop lid shut - power settings set to do nothing when... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all,I'm having problems with my external monitor - as soon as I close my laptop lid it goes blank. The laptop is still on power settings are set to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rob Wiseman, Jul 6, 2021.

1. External monitor goes blank when laptop lid shut - power settings set to do nothing when...

Hi all,I'm having problems with my external monitor - as soon as I close my laptop lid it goes blank. The laptop is still on power settings are set to 'do nothing' when the lid is shut, but the screen still goes blank.I've tried setting the external monitor as the main display, using it as an extended display and a duplicate, and the issue keeps arising.

:)

Rob Wiseman, Jul 6, 2021
  2. DCSans Win User

Closing laptop lid shuts down external monitor

I have a laptop, (Windows 10) with an external monitor. Whenever I close the laptop lid after powering up the computer the monitor goes dark. How can I power up, close the lid and keep the monitor live?

DCSans, Jul 6, 2021
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Jul 6, 2021
  4. jsmith613 Win User

External monitor goes blank when laptop lid shut - power settings set to do nothing when...

Close laptop lid - external monitor

I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended

On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the windows remain on the laptop screen (which would be fully shut).

How do I fix this?

jsmith613, Jul 6, 2021
Thema:

External monitor goes blank when laptop lid shut - power settings set to do nothing when...

1. External monitor goes blank when laptop lid shut - power settings set to do nothing when... - Similar Threads - External monitor goes

2. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  3. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  4. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.: Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid closed. I have set in power settings to do nothing when I close the lid both in battery usage and power adapter...
  6. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.: Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid closed. I have set in power settings to do nothing when I close the lid both in battery usage and power adapter...
  7. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  8. "lid settings" with an external monitor

"lid settings" with an external monitor: Hey, I've been wondering the following for a while. I sometimes use my laptop as a desktop with an external monitor and sometimes as a laptop to be mobile. This works fine, but I have 1 problem. I have to change my "lid settings" every time. I want my laptop to go into sleep...
  9. Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing": My Lenovo E580, Windows 10. Last couple of months a problem. When the lid closes the laptop goes into sleep/hibernate and refuses to wake up. I need to put it off to work again. My power plan is set to "never" - for monitor also and the settings are to "do nothing"...
  10. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...