Windows 10: External monitor goes dark when I close my laptop only when using a docking station

Discus and support External monitor goes dark when I close my laptop only when using a docking station in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 on a Razer Blade 15. I am using a docking station with an external monitor plugged into it. When I close the laptop the external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TheGeekmeister, Apr 10, 2021.

1. External monitor goes dark when I close my laptop only when using a docking station

I am using Windows 10 on a Razer Blade 15. I am using a docking station with an external monitor plugged into it. When I close the laptop the external monitor loses the signal. This doesn't happen when the monitor is plugged directly into the laptop. In the power settings it's set to do nothing when I close the laptop.

The multiple displays setting is set to extended and my external monitor is set to be the main one. The problem also occurs when it's set to "Duplicate these displays".

Anything else I can try to fix it?

:)

TheGeekmeister, Apr 10, 2021

2. Dual Monitors connecting to Docking Station

I have an HP laptop, running Windows 7, with an HP docking station. I also have dual LG monitors. I have one monitor connected through the VGA port. I have a Displayport to HDMI cable for the second monitor. The display ports on the docking station
    are ++. The HDMI monitor will wake up when connected, it asks if I want to connect, but I cannot answer OK. It then goes to sleep. I have the monitors set to extend, and I keep the laptop closed. Both monitors work, using the VGA, so I know it isn't a
    monitor issue. Suggestions?

BDe Vries1, Apr 10, 2021
  3. External display with laptop and docking station

I have a Lenovo T440p laptop and docking station with a Dell external monitor. When I am using my laptop in the docking station I use both screens and select "extend this display" in the display settings to activate the external monitor. Heres my problem.
    When I remove my laptop from the docking station it reverts to using one or the other displays when returned to the docking station, meaning it may be my laptop or it may be my external monitor. Windows seems to decide on its own which one I get to use so
    I have to go into display settings nearly every time and select extend these displays to use both monitors. Its becoming time consuming and annoying. Why wont it remember that I am using 2 displays. I am running windows 10. I have asked our IT guys to fix
    it but after weeks of asking and not getting any results from what they try a have given up hope. I had a different laptop, same brand and model that didnt display this behavior when returned to the docking station.

Ray Dillon, Apr 10, 2021
  4. External monitor goes dark when I close my laptop only when using a docking station

External monitors through both docking station and laptop ports

I recently got a new laptop through work - an HP EliteBook 840 G3. My current setup that I had been using at my desk was 3 external monitors plus my laptop screen. I had two monitors plugged in through the docking station via VGA and DisplayPort and the
    third monitor I plugged into the VGA port on the laptop itself. This worked with my old laptop but with this new one it doesn't detect a monitor plugged into the laptop port when it's docked. I have tried looking through video settings with no luck. Windows
    says my drivers are up to date and I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the docking station itself (it's the same docking station).

Would anyone have any advice for getting this setup working?

sublime8365, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

External monitor goes dark when I close my laptop only when using a docking station

1. External monitor goes dark when I close my laptop only when using a docking station - Similar Threads - External monitor goes

2. External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...: External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed working when connected directly to laptop. Tested machine on a different docking station same issue. Tested machine on known working docking station no change. Updated all drivers for machine,...
  3. External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...: External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed working when connected directly to laptop. Tested machine on a different docking station same issue. Tested machine on known working docking station no change. Updated all drivers for machine,...
  4. External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My laptop doesn't detect external monitor through docking station

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop doesn't detect external monitor through docking station: My acer aspire 7 doesn't detect any monitor when i plug the monitor into a docking station. This docking station is plugged into my laptop via usb-c. My mouse and keyboard that are connected through docking station are working though. What can be the problem of this? Note: I...
  6. External monitors NOT sleeping when docked to a closed laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitors NOT sleeping when docked to a closed laptop: Hi guys - i just joined reddit in hopes that one of yall could help me out. I have two external monitors hooked up to a docking station, which i connect my laptop (closed) to. So the only monitors that are active are the external ones. The issue i am having is that the...
  7. WiFi issues when using a second monitor/docking station

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi issues when using a second monitor/docking station: Hi. I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. I broke my mini display port, so for a couple of months was using a USB to connect to a old monitor., When I did this I had intermittent WiFi issues where the WiFi just wouldn't work on my Surface. I tried on my phone, worked...
  8. Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep...: What setting do I need to adjust to allow me to close the laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-close-the-lid-on-my-laptop-when-using/bb5fc7ce-c482-4f6c-b4d3-6c10ca525768
  9. Using 3 monitors with Docking Station

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Using 3 monitors with Docking Station: Hello, I have a user set up on a Windows 10 laptop. They are utilizing a docking station and when it is hooked up, we have to adjust the display so they can use the laptop with 2 additional monitors. We have to change the second monitor to "Extend this display". When they...
  10. Using 3 monitors with Docking Station

in Windows 10 Support
    Using 3 monitors with Docking Station: Hello, I have a user set up on a Windows 10 laptop. They are utilizing a docking station and when it is hooked up, we have to adjust the display so they can use the laptop with 2 additional monitors. We have to change the second monitor to "Extend this display". When they...