Windows 10: External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

Discus and support External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ElleTea, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ElleTea Win User

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop.

I have worked with Dell's IT support on this issue each time to resolve the issue but I would like to figure out how to stop this from happening and/or resolve it on my own when it does happen. Dell IT support eventually fixed the problem after trying many solutions and it was too convoluted for me to follow, so I cannot recreate what was successfully done to actually solve the issue. And I don't understand why it is reoccurring. I had zero problems with this external monitor with my old laptop.

Here's a summary:

- laptop always makes the chime sound when the cable to the external monitor is connected and disconnected; "no input" flashes on the screen of the external monitor

- sometimes I can get the external monitor to connect again if I hibernate my laptop and then wake it up; sometimes I need to shut my laptop down completely and restart to get the monitor to connect again; putting the laptop to sleep and then waking it up never resolves the problem

- I turned sleep off entirely because usually if my laptop went to sleep then the external monitor would no longer connect upon waking
    - I turned off the laptop screen time out (i.e. laptop goes to screen saver or just turns off) because the external monitor would no longer connect afterwards
    - In Settings, Display, I have tried the "Detect" button to try to connect to my external display; it doesn't work and I don't think it has ever worked
    - I updated BIOS a few times and it did not help; I eventually had to roll back to a BIOS that was four versions older in order for the monitor to connect again
    - I updated video card drivers (and a few others that I don't remember because it was months ago), and this did not seem to help
    - My setup has been working for the last three or four months until yesterday and now I can't get the monitor to connect no matter what; the only update/change I could see that happened was an update of the "Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus", but perhaps there were other updates that happened that I don't know how to check for
    - I've had three blue screen failures in the two months, and I think one or two others in the last year; stop code: unexpected store exception

I hope I've given enough detail here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.17134

Dell XPS 13 9360

BIOS Dell Inc. 2.9.0, 7/9/2018

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

driver version 23.20.16.4973 (installed in April)

:)

ElleTea, Oct 22, 2018

2. Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 22, 2018
  3. Chrise Win User
    Laptop External Monitor Problem

Thank you once again, I will explain:

• Today 10th November 2016 - After monitor eventually successfully connects to my HP laptop, in my absence when the laptop/monitor powers off, I get NO re-connection problems during the day
    • Tomorrow 11th November 2016 - After laptop and monitor has been restarted following, shut-down, power offs(laptop + monitor) I will be stuck once again with exactly the same problem

In my display settings each morning, my HP laptop shows it is connected to my external monitor, however there is no display on the external monitor for a vast amount of time, just randomly suddenly appears.?

Chrise, Oct 22, 2018
  4. jrng10a Win User

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

Laptop will only work with external monitor after windows 10 upgrade, HP Pavillion laptop

Hi,

I took the steps and it did not work. When I did the reboot, it went to the desktop on the laptop and then while still finishing the reboot, screen again went dark. I had to plug in the external monitor again. The laptop monitor works fine, the software
    keeps making it that I can only use an external monitor. I still need help. Thanks.

jrng10a, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

1. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop - Similar Threads - External monitor input

2. Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.: So My main laptop I always have with me is a windows 11 pro latitude 5300 2in1 and I'm looking for it to become more versatile. I wanna use it on trips as a external monitor for my switch and i have dongles and adaptors so it doesn't matter if the hardware allows it as i can...
  3. Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.: So My main laptop I always have with me is a windows 11 pro latitude 5300 2in1 and I'm looking for it to become more versatile. I wanna use it on trips as a external monitor for my switch and i have dongles and adaptors so it doesn't matter if the hardware allows it as i can...
  4. External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?: I use an external monitor for my laptop, and the display is much bigger, but the resolution is limited by the laptop. All of the icons, the taskbar, and the mouse cursor are too big for the size of the monitor, it is as if I'm just using the laptop monitor. I have an NVIDIA...
  5. intermittent wifi on new laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    intermittent wifi on new laptop: Bought Dell Inspiron 14 5000 windows 10. Internet supplier Virgin media. My internet keeps dropping out regularly even though VM say there are no issues when I report on via their app. Other users in my household seem to connect. They say their internet is slow but this...
  6. Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works.: Hi, I've been having problems with my laptops. The screen sometimes just doesn't turn on or turn back on if I restart it. Using an external monitor works fine but the built in screen is having problems. It will sometimes turn on and show no signs of damage or loose...
  7. Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...

Old Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...: Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me out with this problem. I encased my old laptop hd because there were significant problems. I connected the now external hd to my new laptop and changed the permissions on all folders and subfolders to "Everyone". However, I cannot...
  8. Hold Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...

Hold Laptop stopped working. Externalized/encased the old laptop HD. Connected to new...: Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me out with this problem. I encased my old laptop hd because there were significant problems. I connected the now external hd to my new laptop and changed the permissions on all folders and subfolders to "Everyone". However, I cannot...
  9. New Laptop not recognizing old monitor

New Laptop not recognizing old monitor: 've been looking for a cheap way to set up a monitor so that I can view better. I purchased a HDMI to VGA converter, but for some reason the monitor is not "detectable."...
  10. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop: For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop. I have worked with Dell's IT support on this...