Windows 10: External monitor not working on second screen only.

Discus and support External monitor not working on second screen only. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So for my laptop DELL XPS 9560, I have a external monitor that I would like to use. At first this monitor did not work at all with the laptop. I set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Paul Flintrop, Aug 11, 2022.

1. External monitor not working on second screen only.

So for my laptop DELL XPS 9560, I have a external monitor that I would like to use. At first this monitor did not work at all with the laptop. I set the settings to duplicate and altered the refresh rate of the 2nd monitor from 59.94 to 60Hz and that's when it started working.When switching to extend the monitor had the same problem. The refresh rate was again set at 59.94 and when set to 60Hz it worked.Now I'd like to use it as second screen only, only the screen does not work when I try this. Maybe the refresh rate is still wrong and that's why it doesn't work?I updated windows/drivers so do

:)

Paul Flintrop, Aug 11, 2022
  2. Cbowers3 Win User

Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Aug 11, 2022
  3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Aug 11, 2022
  4. SerbanPop Win User

External monitor not working on second screen only.

Second external monitor won't work

Ok so the first thing I tried was to roll back the driver. After restart none of the external monitors worked so unistalled it completely and restarted. After restart, the gpu driver was reinstalled by windows and external monitors worked just as before. Download latest drivers from the link you gave me, no difference, it behaves exactly the same. One thing I noticed though which makes no sense: if I reboot the laptop with both monitors plugged in, when Windows starts loading I only get picture on one of the external screens for a few seconds, then that screen switches itself off and the other 2 screens switch on...

SerbanPop, Aug 11, 2022
Thema:

External monitor not working on second screen only.

1. External monitor not working on second screen only. - Similar Threads - External monitor working

2. Screen Saver not working with external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Saver not working with external monitor: I own an Asus laptop purchased in 2019 and used HDMI port to plug into a 28" Asus external monitor. The screen saver works sometimes but not hardly at all. I tired changing lots of settings but still won't come on after setting the time limit. Any suggestions?...
  3. Screen Saver not working with external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Saver not working with external monitor: I own an Asus laptop purchased in 2019 and used HDMI port to plug into a 28" Asus external monitor. The screen saver works sometimes but not hardly at all. I tired changing lots of settings but still won't come on after setting the time limit. Any suggestions?...
  4. second monitor not working

second monitor not working: I tried everything I can find online updated the driver, downloaded the driver from AMD website, rolled back driver. updated USB port drivers, restarted my laptop multiple times changed the HDMI to USBC adapter and made sure it works on other PCs. When I go on display...
  5. External monitor not working on second screen only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not working on second screen only.: So for my laptop DELL XPS 9560, I have a external monitor that I would like to use. At first this monitor did not work at all with the laptop. I set the settings to duplicate and altered the refresh rate of the 2nd monitor from 59.94 to 60Hz and that's when it started...
  6. Second Monitor Not Working

Second Monitor Not Working: Hello. I just recently reset my pc because of slow performance and just wanted to clear my drive. I set everything up perfectly, but for some reason my second monitor will not work. The monitor is detected, and puts up a display, but i cant move my mouse onto the screen or...
  7. Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...: My laptop is Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 with Intel i5-8300H and NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti. When I extend the laptop screen using an external monitor or set the Secondary screen only my PC hangs after using it for some times. But it works fine when I use the external...
  8. Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...

Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...: My laptop is Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 with Intel i5-8300H and NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti. When I extend the laptop screen using an external monitor or set the Secondary screen only my PC hangs after using it for some times. But it works fine when I use the external...
  9. Only works with external monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Only works with external monitor: So my windows 10 laptop uses internal monitor when in safe mode and splash screens, but when widows loads it only sends it to second monitor. I have only use built in lcd selected in bios and tried to disable graphics drivers in safe mode then reboot to no avail. Also...
  10. Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor...: I’m using an older DELL Inspiron N5050 laptop that had Windows 7 Home Premium. I just installed Windows 10 Home and now I can only use the computer with an external display. BIOS works, the boot screen shows on the laptop display, then it goes black. Only with an external...