Windows 10: External monitor randomly stopped working

Discus and support External monitor randomly stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 laptop and an external monitor. The monitor was working perfectly for a few weeks, until one day I switched on the laptop to find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hawk Relaxes, Mar 25, 2016.

1. External monitor randomly stopped working

I have a Windows 10 laptop and an external monitor. The monitor was working perfectly for a few weeks, until one day I switched on the laptop to find that the monitor was no longer working. Going to 'Display Settings' only showed one monitor, and pressing 'Detect' said 'Didn't detect another display'.

After updating all drivers, then purchasing new leads and adapters for the monitor, I still couldn't get it to work. Then I stumbled upon the 'Hardware and devices' troubleshooter which, after restarting my computer, made it work.

Less than a week later, I just restarted my machine and suddenly it's not working again. This time, the troubleshooter isn't fixing it. Every time, it just says to restart my computer to finish applying updates/drivers but restarting doesn't help.

Anyone have ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers

:)

Hawk Relaxes, Mar 25, 2016
  2. BlueSunny Win User

External monitor randomly stopped working

Hi there,

I used to have the same problem on my previous machine. It could just be as simple as changing your connecting cables, or backlight of your computer could be the culprit, or both (which was in my case).

Best of luck

BlueSunny, Mar 25, 2016
  3. External monitor randomly stopped working

Compatibility mode didn't work but just installing the new driver did.

Hawk Relaxes, Mar 25, 2016
  4. External monitor randomly stopped working

Installing the new Intel graphics driver worked (by downloading from manufacturer website and running setup).

Hawk Relaxes, Mar 26, 2016
Thema:

External monitor randomly stopped working

1. External monitor randomly stopped working - Similar Threads - External monitor randomly

2. External monitor stopped working suddenly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor stopped working suddenly: I have been using an external monitor with my Lenovo laptop. Today it suddenly stopped working. I have tried the following:- connected the monitor and the laptop with an HDMI cable does not work- connected the monitor to docking station, which is connected to the laptop does...
  3. External monitor stopped working suddenly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor stopped working suddenly: I have been using an external monitor with my Lenovo laptop. Today it suddenly stopped working. I have tried the following:- connected the monitor and the laptop with an HDMI cable does not work- connected the monitor to docking station, which is connected to the laptop does...
  4. External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop: Hi,I have a ViewSonic external monitor VA2407H that stopped working with my laptop. When I plug the HDMI cable to the laptop, the laptop screen starts blinking and readjusting forever. Here is a video of what it does: https://youtu.be/NMnr1ZCWMY8What puzzles me is that this...
  5. External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop: Hi,I have a ViewSonic external monitor VA2407H that stopped working with my laptop. When I plug the HDMI cable to the laptop, the laptop screen starts blinking and readjusting forever. Here is a video of what it does: https://youtu.be/NMnr1ZCWMY8What puzzles me is that this...
  6. External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor

Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor: Today I went out after playing some games. When I came back and turned on my laptop that was connected to a monitor, no display came up. I have tried changing out monitors and hdmi cables, reinstalling video drivers, etc. My laptop still detects the monitor and says it is...
  8. Both integrated and external Keyboards stop working randomly

Both integrated and external Keyboards stop working randomly: Hi,For a few months now both my wife's laptop and mine both Asus with fully updates windows 10 have been having this issue. It started happening in hers and after a few weeks it stopped but then started happening in mine. It's very weird, because I'll be working on something...
  9. External monitor stopped suddenly

in Windows 10 Customization
    External monitor stopped suddenly: My second monitor was working fine but suddenly it stopped detecting it anymore. There no sign of connection. I have tried changing all the connector. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-stopped-suddenly/e433e86e-aeb3-4353-9b9e-849726c61862
  10. External LG monitor randomly blinking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External LG monitor randomly blinking: Relatively new to Windows 10, having installed it on my MacBook via Bootcamp. Everything is great except one major issue. When I'm using Win10 on my docked, desktop system (MacBook lid closed, LG monitor with peripherals powered by single USB-C) the external monitor...