Windows 10: external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update

Discus and support external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After a windows 10 64 bits update, my external monitor is slow to open after sleep. While the laptop monitor opens immediately, the external monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DanielBESSIS, Jun 18, 2020.

1. external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update

After a windows 10 64 bits update, my external monitor is slow to open after sleep.

While the laptop monitor opens immediately, the external monitor opens only after one minute.

I tried to run an hardware and device troubleshooting, but it seems to no more exists on windows 10 last version.

Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Daniel

:)

DanielBESSIS, Jun 18, 2020

2. After waking from Sleep Windows does not detect two external monitors

Hi Arifeen,

As per your description, I understand that when your PC goes to Sleep the two external monitors that are attached to your PC do not wake. Upon reboot, the setting personalized in the other two monitors are lost which enforces you to re-set the settings.

The issue is most likely with the graphics driver. Whenever a single monitor is disconnected from a multimonitor setup in Windows, Windows will attempt to move everything from that screen onto the remaining screen(s). Usually, this will not occur when
    suspending/hibernating/shutting down the computer. Thus, it is probably because of the graphics driver doing one of the following:

• 'Disconnecting' the monitors when you put the computer to sleep, so when Windows awakens, it must re-determine where to place everything.
    • Recognizing the monitors in a different order each time you bring the computer out of sleep, forcing Windows to rearrange your application windows.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you open Windows Update and check if there are any pending updates related to your PC as well as your graphic card driver. If so, disconnect all external devices other than mouse and keyboard, install the updates and
    check.

If the above did not help, then I suggest that you uninstall your graphic card driver and re-install the latest driver update available from the manufacturer's website. To learn how to perform the same, refer to the steps outlined in the link below

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jun 18, 2020
  4. jnb811 Win User

external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update

Windows 10 Anniversary Update - No External Monitor

I have a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Pro 3, and I use the Surface dock cable to connect both to peripherals including an external monitor. After installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, I cannot duplicate or extend to the external monitor. It does
    not appear in the display options at all. I have tried deep reboot, restart, updating drivers (although the monitor does not appear in the list in device manager so I can't update its driver), and checked all cables. The external monitor blinks and shows that
    there is a display (i.e. it does not go to sleep) but never shows the display image. It is very frustrating.

jnb811, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update

1. external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update - Similar Threads - external monitor slow

2. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange: I'm talking about this https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/many articles have been written about this but meanwhile things still don't workI tried joining the Insider Program, but it didn't offer me any new updates. I feel like that...
  3. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange: I'm talking about this https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/many articles have been written about this but meanwhile things still don't workI tried joining the Insider Program, but it didn't offer me any new updates. I feel like that...
  4. external monitor not found after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external monitor not found after update: My laptop updated on 8/13/2020. After the update my HDMI monitor no longer connected to the laptop. I have tried to use "detect" but the laptop just doesn't seem to be able to find the monitor. I have follow all the steps, changed out the HDMI cord, switched ports to no...
  5. External Monitors not working after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitors not working after windows update: I updated windows and now monitors wont work and aren't detected in settings. I've tried "windows button + P" to extend. I've tried scanning for driver updates in device manager. I've tried rolling back driver updates but its greyed out. Ive tried restarting, unplugging, etc....
  6. external display slow to wake up after sleep

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    external display slow to wake up after sleep: I use windows10, 64 bits last version. After a windows update my Dell laptop had the following problem: the external display does not wake up instantly as the laptop display does. The longer the sleep, the longer it takes to wake up. A windows technician repaired this...
  7. external display slow to wake up after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    external display slow to wake up after sleep: I use windows10, 64 bits last version. After a windows update my Dell laptop had the following problem: the external display does not wake up instantly as the laptop display does. The longer the sleep, the longer it takes to wake up. A windows technician repaired this...
  8. External monitor and sleep

External monitor and sleep: I have a laptop with an external (HDMI) monitor. When it sleeps the windows that are open change to a smaller size, sometimes but not always, is this typical or is something amiss? Project is always set to 'Second screen only'. Windows 10 - 1809 - 17763.557 135223
  9. External monitor and sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    External monitor and sleep: I have a laptop with an external (HDMI) monitor. When it sleeps the windows that are open change to a smaller size, sometimes but not always, is this typical or is something amiss? Project is always set to 'Second screen only'. Windows 10 - 1809 - 17763.557 135223
  10. External monitor not found after Win 10 update

External monitor not found after Win 10 update: I have a Dell XPS laptop and a circa 2008 Lenovo ThinkVision monitor connected via docking station. The docking station is still working for my mouse, printer, hardwired network connection and speakers, only the monitor is a problem. Also, I know there's a signal somewhere,...