Windows 10: external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode

Discus and support external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I changed my external motinor refresh rate to too high and now extended mode doesnt work. when i try to extend my displays it automaticaly turs to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Teresė, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Teresė Win User

external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode

I changed my external motinor refresh rate to too high and now extended mode doesnt work. when i try to extend my displays it automaticaly turs to laptop display and main display shows LOST SIGNAL. O duplicate mode everything works fine. I think I have to reset refresh rate on external dislpay while working on extended mode but i dont know how.

:)

Teresė, Feb 25, 2024
  2. Qumar_-_ Win User

External monitors extending issue.

I am trying to connect 6 external monitors to my laptop running on windows 10. I am using DVI-D dual-link to HDMI cable to connect the monitors to the HDMI splitter and HDMI to HDMI cable to connect the splitter to the laptop. There
    is just one problem when I am extending the screens, the external monitors seem to duplicate themselves rather than extend. So instead of 1 to 7 for all monitors combined, all my laptop only detects 1 and 2. 1 being my laptop and 2 being all the other external
    6 monitors. That means that all the external monitors showing me the same thing as in they duplicate and not extend. Any suggestion on it can be fixed so all the external monitors become the extension of my main laptop and do not duplicate?

Qumar_-_, Feb 25, 2024
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

4. Nikhar_K Win User

Extend Display to second and third monitors

Hi Ian,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving the issue. I understand that you are unable to extend the display to second or third monitor. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, it would be great if you can help us with the details requested below:

• What happens when you try to extend the display?
    • Do you receive any error message/code?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the laptop?

Ideally, to extend the display we can use the shortcut Windows logo key + P, and select
    Extend from the menu.

I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10
    and see if that helps.

For additional information, see
    Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 25, 2024
Thema:

1. external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode - Similar Threads - external monitor turns

2. external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external monitor turns off when trying to change to extended mode: I changed my external motinor refresh rate to too high and now extended mode doesnt work. when i try to extend my displays it automaticaly turs to laptop display and main display shows LOST SIGNAL. O duplicate mode everything works fine. I think I have to reset refresh rate...
  3. monitors are turning off when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitors are turning off when gaming: everytime i play something it cause my monitors to turn off after some time and i dont know whyI`ve already changed my PSU and cpu cooler to a water cooling system and the problem still existI was also testing my temps and my cpu has 84* max when gpu is 80*so im really...
  4. External monitor is turning on and off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor is turning on and off: Hello, today I woke up and the monitor that is connected to my laptop has started flickering on and off when I connect it with my HDMI cord. The monitor itself isn't broken because when I unplug the cord the monitor will stay on fine. This has happened before and I fixed it...
  5. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  6. How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor: [ATTACH]If you want to turn off the laptop screen when using an external monitor, you can follow this guide. It is possible to switch off […] This article How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. External monitors extending issue.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitors extending issue.: I am trying to connect 6 external monitors to my laptop running on windows 10. I am using DVI-D dual-link to HDMI cable to connect the monitors to the HDMI splitter and HDMI to HDMI cable to connect the splitter to the laptop. There is just one problem when I am extending the...
  8. Connect to external monitor as Extend Mode, If I try to re-connect, all application would...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect to external monitor as Extend Mode, If I try to re-connect, all application would...: Hi, I have the latest Win10 RS5 OS version. When my laptop connect a external monitor with the dock, I always drag the PPT/Word/Application to the external monitor for working. Then if I try to unplug the dock and re-plug, all application would stay on my laptop screen......
  9. External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off: I recently got an external monitor, Lenovo L24q-20, which I use with my HP Envy Laptop. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled with buttons on the monitor, and is by default set to 80/100. This is a bit too bright for me so I set it down to 50/100, and all is...
  10. Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off: Hi guys. First off lemme start by praising the people who run and post on this board, it's an endless mine of informations and a never ending academy for learning all the tips and tricks of anything pc-related...so keep up the good work guys! Unfortunately I'm writing here...