Windows 10: External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

Discus and support External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... Some specs: Dell Precision... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by domam, May 19, 2021.

1. domam Win User

External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... Some specs: Dell Precision 7520 Laptop Windows 10 Pro Intel Core i7-7820HQ (4 Core), 2.9 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Turbo) 32 GB (2x 16 GB), DDR 4, 2400 MHz Ram 4 GB NVIDIA Quadro M1200 / Intel HD Graphics 630 512 GB Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD, Class 40) 15.6 inch FHD 1920 1080 Anti-Glare The problem: I recently bought an external monitor (ACER KG271G Full HD 27" IPS LED Monitor). When connected to my laptop, the only display resolution options I'm given under Windows Display Settings are that of my native laptop monitor (1920 1080) and below. I want my new external monitor to display its native resolution of 2560 1440, alongside my 1920 1080 laptop monitor. What I have tried: I understand the external monitor connects through one of my GPUs, and as such the setting required to fix this will be found in either my NVIDIA or Intel control panel. I first attempted to set the desired resolution in the NVIDIA control panel, however it does not feature a 'display' tab along the left-hand edge. Some research leads me to believe that due to my machine being a laptop, display settings are handled by the Intel GPU, and so these NVIDIA settings aren't even visible to me. I managed to find the setting in Intel's HD Graphics Control Panel, so tried to set my custom resolution (width - height - refresh rate). But the specified resolution (2560 1440) just causes an error message: "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity". Besides this, I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling my NVIDIA drivers, attempted selecting NVIDIA Quadro as the default GPU in BIOS settings, restarted my machine many times, etc. I do hope it's possible to use my external monitor at its intended resolution. It seems silly that I be limited, purely for using a laptop rather than desktop. Does anybody think the problem could be specific to this brand/ model of external monitor? If so I will return it. Any suggestion or workaround would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks Dom Windows OS Build 19042.985

:)

domam, May 19, 2021

2. Native Display Resolution Issues

I've installed Windows 10 10166 on an old laptop that I've converted into a desktop. I've stripped the entire screen/lcd/hinge construction so it's just the bottom of the laptop (sans keyboard) with a cover, running like a mini-desktop with a monitor and external keyboard/mouse. However, Windows 10 continues to recognize the native display, even when it's unplugged, and default to its resolution when I wake from sleep (1600x900). My monitor is 1920x1080, so I always need to reconnect the monitor after every time the screen wakes up. Is there a way to change the default display resolution, or perhaps make the computer stop recognizing the empty display connector inside the laptop?
    Andrew

authorandrew, May 19, 2021
  3. WiMaz Win User
    Cannot set native resolution

Hi,

I cannot set the right resolution for my external monitor.

I have 1 laptop with Windows 10 Pro, HDMI port and Intel UHD 620.

I have 2 Samsung monitors, 2343 BW, native resolution 2048x1152.

When I connect monitor 1 the right resolution is displayed, no problems at all.

When I connect monitor 2 the wrong resolution is displayed on the external monitor (1600x900). The laptop monitor shows the right resolution.

I can set monitor 2 to a maximum of 1680x1050.

When I connect monitor 2 to another machine (Asus EeePC, HDMI-port, Debian) monitor shows the right resolution instantly.

I updated the drivers for the UHD 620.

How to set the right resolution on monitor 2?

Thanks, Wiet

WiMaz, May 19, 2021
  4. Helmut Win User

Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

In the first image, just the monitor selections 1. is the Laptop, 2. is the Dell monitor.

In the second image, the drop down box for the laptop built in display indicates 1366 x 768 (native) one only.
    The Dell monitor lists various resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 (native).
    It defaults to the native resolution, you could select a lower resolution and it would scale up or centre etc.

But as I say it just does it. You may have to fiddle about with scaling as your aspect ratios are different.

The third image is mine with your 1440 x 900 on the Dell, and it looks like the preview picture, horrible on mine but again it just works.

You can do the same thing with the Windows Settings as the other images. It's the same thing.

I just did it the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel way to be different.....

Attachment 148188

Attachment 148189

Attachment 148190

Helmut, May 19, 2021
Thema:

1. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP) - Similar Threads - External monitor won't

2. Monitors Native Resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors Native Resolution: Hello. I was wondering if there was a way to change my monitors Native resolution within windows. I know how to change the resolution through the windows settings, but its doesn't change it the way I want it to. The NVIDIA program DSR will upscale your native resolution by...
  3. Monitors Native Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitors Native Resolution: Hello. I was wondering if there was a way to change my monitors Native resolution within windows. I know how to change the resolution through the windows settings, but its doesn't change it the way I want it to. The NVIDIA program DSR will upscale your native resolution by...
  4. Monitors Native Resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

in Windows 10 Support
    External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP): Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... The problem: I recently bought an external monitor (ACER KG271G Full HD 27" IPS LED Monitor). When connected to my laptop, the only display resolution...
  6. External Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor Resolution: Last update, my laptop came back with the resolution of the external monitor set back to 1024x768, with its normal 1280x1024 not available to select. How do I get that resolution back?...
  7. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?: Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900. How do I change the...
  8. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...
  9. Native Resolution wrong in Windows10 laptop

Native Resolution wrong in Windows10 laptop: I spent a couple hours updating drivers (though I really don't know much about them) after finding out that the highest resolution I could go was 768p when my laptop model is supposed to have a native resolution of 1920x1080p. I think I updated the video driver to the latest...
  10. Native Display Resolution Issues

Native Display Resolution Issues: I've installed Windows 10 10166 on an old laptop that I've converted into a desktop. I've stripped the entire screen/lcd/hinge construction so it's just the bottom of the laptop (sans keyboard) with a cover, running like a mini-desktop with a monitor and external...