Windows 10: External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.

Discus and support External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi All, I have a setup where I have my laptop on Windows 10 connected through USB C onto a DP port of an external monitor. I keep the lid of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RitchieFong, Dec 3, 2020.

1. External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.

Hi All,

I have a setup where I have my laptop on Windows 10 connected through USB C onto a DP port of an external monitor. I keep the lid of the laptop closed Action when Lid is closed is set to nothing already. So essentially the only screen I have is the external monitor. I also use an external keyboard and mouse through USB.

My problem is waking from sleep. When I press on the keyboard or mouse, it does wake the keyboard and mouse as I see the RBG of the mouse and Keyboard switch on, but it wont turn on the external monitor. It wont even detect the connection between the Laptop and the Monitor. I end up having to open the lid of the laptop and even disconnecting and connecting again the USB C in order to detect the Monitor again.

I have already gone to Device Management and set my mouse and keyboard to "allow this device to wake computer." So no issues there, But the External monitor is the one that won't be detected on wake.

Is there anyway to wake it from sleep and have the external monitor reflect my screen right away without opening the lid of the laptop?

Laptop: ASUS TUF A15 on Windows 10 Home

External Monitor: ASUS TUF VG279QLIA

Keyboard: ASUS TUF K1

Mouse: ASUS TUF M5

Appreciate any help I can get. As currently its not easy to open the lid of my laptop as the way my desk is setup its limited space and it fits just below my monitor so I need to move it every time I want to wake it.

:)

RitchieFong, Dec 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Dec 3, 2020
  3. jsmith613 Win User
    Close laptop lid - external monitor

Yep. The computer remained and I could use the external monitor. But all windows on the laptop screen moved over. Currently when the lid is closed, the windows remain on the laptop screen which is then "off"

jsmith613, Dec 3, 2020
  4. ScrappyD Win User

External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.

Laptop wakes while lid is closed, stays on

With my current laptop (and several other Win10 laptops I've had), I will sleep the system by closing the lid and sometimes come back to it hours later to find the system has turned back on (lid still closed). Often the system is running pretty hot and has
    remained in that state for a long time.

There are no external peripherals (so no external keyboard or mouse event is involved). From looking at wake sources, it usually appears to be that it woke checking for updates.

I've seen some online tips on how to completely prevent the laptop from waking up on its own. But that seems to me to be the wrong question. Checking for updates is fine. The real problem is: why hasn't it gone back to sleep? My power settings are configured
    to go into sleep after 30 minutes, and under normal conditions (lid open, stepping away from the system for a while) it does. But if it wakes on its own, it will not go back to sleep.

Thanks!

ScrappyD, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.

1. External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed. - Similar Threads - External Monitor wont

2. Surface Laptop won’t wake up from sleep when connected to External Monitor, laptop lid...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Laptop won’t wake up from sleep when connected to External Monitor, laptop lid...: Hi All,I have a setup where I have my Surface Laptop 3 on Windows 11 connected through USB C onto a HDMI port of an external monitor I use the “Second Screen” only option as I only want to see the display on my monitor and not on my laptop. The issue that I am facing is that...
  3. Surface Laptop won’t wake up from sleep when connected to External Monitor, laptop lid...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop won’t wake up from sleep when connected to External Monitor, laptop lid...: Hi All,I have a setup where I have my Surface Laptop 3 on Windows 11 connected through USB C onto a HDMI port of an external monitor I use the “Second Screen” only option as I only want to see the display on my monitor and not on my laptop. The issue that I am facing is that...
  4. My laptop goes to sleep with using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed trying to...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop goes to sleep with using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed trying to...: Hello, I'm trying to use my laptop on an external monitor with the lid closed but my laptop keeps trying to log out and sleep. This only happens when something is in Full-screen or is trying to use the Dedicated Nvidia GPU on the laptop instead of the integrated APU display...
  5. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Hello, hope you can help me when my Asus laptop lid is closed using an outside keyboard and screenand I put it to sleep. when I wish it to wake up, I must open the lid to do so.is there a way to wake it up without open the lid?when it sleeps it does not respond to the outside...
  6. Laptop immediately wakes from sleep when connected to external monitor, or if lid is not closed

Laptop immediately wakes from sleep when connected to external monitor, or if lid is not closed: I have an Asus ZenBook UX434, and I also use an external monitor, connected through HDMI. With a monitor connected, when I close the laptop lid, it sleeps for a few seconds, and then turns back on and shows the lock screen on my external monitor. If I disconnect the...
  7. Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.: When I’m done working for a bit I put my computer to sleep and close the lid. For some reason every Windows 10 laptop I have owned has always woken my from sleep even when their lids are closed. This causes them to get hot and the fans to scream when it’s not really supposed...
  8. How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?

in Windows 10 News
    How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Laptops are great devices; they have essentially transformed the way we use Windows. But if you are rather looking for an arrangement where you want to use your portable laptop as a desktop connected to a monitor, you are going [...] This post How to wake...
  9. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...