Windows 10: external monitors: 1 of 2 not working after last windows update

Discus and support external monitors: 1 of 2 not working after last windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Last week I updated windows on my laptop while traveling for business. When I got home one of my external monitors that have been working for years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PaulEllenbogen, Oct 19, 2019.

1. external monitors: 1 of 2 not working after last windows update

Last week I updated windows on my laptop while traveling for business. When I got home one of my external monitors that have been working for years isn't. the one that isn't is a serial monitor with a USB-2 adaptor. The working one has an HDMI connector. I have downloaded and installed the latest (9/19) update for Display Link. But when I open the video manager it only recognizes one monitor. My Device manager is showing two PNP monitors working and the drivers are up to date.

Display Link Forum suggests this, but I haven't gone there yet as it clearly appears to be a windows issue.

If you find you are having issues after installing or upgrading DisplayLink software, or your Windows installation, please follow these steps to re-install DisplayLink software

1. Disconnect your device. If your device uses a power adapter, disconnect it too.
    2. Uninstall DisplayLink software from Windows Control Panel.
    3. Download DisplayLink End User Windows Cleaner tool and run it.
    4. Reboot your computer.
    5. Download the latest DisplayLink Windows software and install it.
    6. Reconnect your device when asked by the installer.
    7. Reboot your computer.

Any thoughts?

:)

PaulEllenbogen, Oct 19, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 19, 2019
  3. my acer aspire laptop dosent detect external vga monitor .

Hi Sivaram,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    This issue might be happening because of the faulty drivers. That’s the reason you are getting intermittent connection on external monitor.

However, you may try the below suggested steps.

Step 1: Try connecting on a different monitor and check if the issue still persists.

Step 2: Try using a different VGA cable to connect with external monitor and check the status of the issue.

Step 3: Update display driver adapters

You may refer the article
    Update drivers in Windows 10
    and check the status of the issue.

Step 4: Check for an updated Video driver on the

Acer drivers and Manuals page

For more information you may also refer
    troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Oct 19, 2019
  4. jrDeaver Win User

external monitors: 1 of 2 not working after last windows update

why won't my external monitor work after update

Windows 10 update was installed yesterday on my laptop and since then, it will not detect my external monitor. The strange thing is that the monitor works, but not when I close the lid of my laptop, the external monitor goes black. I have tried all of
    the Microsfoft help suggestions and even when I select "choose what happens when I close the lid," it does not change the external monitor from going black when I close the lid. I have also tried selecting "when to sleep" and selected "never." And I've checked
    the HDMI cable and it's securely attached to computer and external monitor. Someone in a forum suggested I change the resolution of the monitor, but that didn't work either. My external monitor worked fine until that last Windows update on 1/9/18. Can anyone
    help? Thank you!

jrDeaver, Oct 19, 2019
Thema:

external monitors: 1 of 2 not working after last windows update

1. external monitors: 1 of 2 not working after last windows update - Similar Threads - external monitors working

2. Monitor 1/2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor 1/2: Why is my first monitor showing up as monitor 1/2 while me second shows up as 3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-12/da4f197f-5930-4f7b-a348-e679c7f56be6
  3. Monitor 1/2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor 1/2: Why is my first monitor showing up as monitor 1/2 while me second shows up as 3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-12/da4f197f-5930-4f7b-a348-e679c7f56be6
  4. Monitor 1/2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 11 deactivating external monitor after 1-2 days.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 deactivating external monitor after 1-2 days.: Hi there, my wife's laptop is a Dell running Windows 11 and I recently moved a 27" IPS 1440p screen into her office to connect to it. Plugged it in, and it worked great for a day or so. Then, Windows claimed the display wasn't active. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling display...
  6. Windows 11 deactivating external monitor after 1-2 days.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 deactivating external monitor after 1-2 days.: Hi there, my wife's laptop is a Dell running Windows 11 and I recently moved a 27" IPS 1440p screen into her office to connect to it. Plugged it in, and it worked great for a day or so. Then, Windows claimed the display wasn't active. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling display...
  7. External Monitors not working after windows update

External Monitors not working after windows update: I updated windows and now monitors wont work and aren't detected in settings. I've tried "windows button + P" to extend. I've tried scanning for driver updates in device manager. I've tried rolling back driver updates but its greyed out. Ive tried restarting, unplugging, etc....
  8. Windows seeing 2 monitors as 1 monitor.

Windows seeing 2 monitors as 1 monitor.: Hi there, When I started my PC today Windows spread the screen you would normally see on 1 monitor onto 2 monitors. This caused me to have a wide screen. This looks really weird. Is there a way to fix this problem so I see 1 monitor screen on one monitor instead of 2...
  9. multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2: When I go to Settings and Display, my multiple monitors show "1/2" instead of 1 and 2. I think you can change this by right clicking on the clock/date on the bottom right, but I don't know which to select when I get there. Help?...
  10. extended desktop, 1 monitor stopped working after last weekend's update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    extended desktop, 1 monitor stopped working after last weekend's update.: When system boots both monitors work and continue working until after the log-in screen then the second monitor goes blank. Note second monitor is an older LG 26LE5310 TV/monitor runs on 1024x768....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2 monitors one not working after windows update

2. external monitor not working after windows updates

3. monitors is not working after last windows update

4. windows 10 not detecting hdmi monitor