Windows 10: External monitors extending issue.

Discus and support External monitors extending issue. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to connect 6 external monitors to my laptop running on windows 10. I am using DVI-D dual-link to HDMI cable to connect the monitors to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Qumar_-_, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Qumar_-_ Win User

External monitors extending issue.

I am trying to connect 6 external monitors to my laptop running on windows 10. I am using DVI-D dual-link to HDMI cable to connect the monitors to the HDMI splitter and HDMI to HDMI cable to connect the splitter to the laptop. There is just one problem when I am extending the screens, the external monitors seem to duplicate themselves rather than extend. So instead of 1 to 7 for all monitors combined, all my laptop only detects 1 and 2. 1 being my laptop and 2 being all the other external 6 monitors. That means that all the external monitors showing me the same thing as in they duplicate and not extend. Any suggestion on it can be fixed so all the external monitors become the extension of my main laptop and do not duplicate?

:)

Qumar_-_, Mar 4, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Extend Display to second and third monitors

Hi Ian,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving the issue. I understand that you are unable to extend the display to second or third monitor. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, it would be great if you can help us with the details requested below:

• What happens when you try to extend the display?
    • Do you receive any error message/code?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the laptop?

Ideally, to extend the display we can use the shortcut Windows logo key + P, and select
    Extend from the menu.

I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10
    and see if that helps.

For additional information, see
    Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 4, 2020
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    External Monitor with Quicken

Hi Mark,

It is possible that the display resolution automatically adjusts after connecting to an external monitor. For us to properly isolate this issue, we have some questions for you:

• Are you experiencing the same issue even without using the Quicken tool?
    • Have you checked if the display resolution settings of the Surface device and the external monitor is the same?
    • Have you tried checking for a graphics device driver update?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to isolate the issue?

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Mar 4, 2020
  4. External monitors extending issue.

Dell XPS 15.6 Monitor issues

Hi,

Monitors may not work as expected if the driver is not up-to-date. With this said, we suggest that you check if you have the latest drivers installed. In addition, we would like to ask some questions that may help us to isolate the issue.

• Does the external monitor work with your laptop before?
    • Have you tried to connect the external monitor to your desktop?
    • When did the issue start?
    • Were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

External monitors extending issue.

1. External monitors extending issue. - Similar Threads - External monitors extending

2. External monitor issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External monitor issue: Hi, Last week I encountered an issue with my two external Dell monitors connected to my laptop. The issue I am having is:- If I turn on monitor 1 the laptop recognises it and it extends the display- If I turn on monitor 2 laptop both screens go into sleep mode but the laptop...
  3. External monitor issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor issue: Hi, Last week I encountered an issue with my two external Dell monitors connected to my laptop. The issue I am having is:- If I turn on monitor 1 the laptop recognises it and it extends the display- If I turn on monitor 2 laptop both screens go into sleep mode but the laptop...
  4. External monitor issue...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor issue...: I hooked up an external ViewSonic montior to the USB hub on my laptop via a DVI to HDMI connector yea it's old. I extended the laptop display and I see my desktop on the external monitor and can drag programs over to it just fine. What I'm having issues with is when I click...
  5. External monitor issue...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor issue...: I hooked up an external ViewSonic montior to the USB hub on my laptop via a DVI to HDMI connector yea it's old. I extended the laptop display and I see my desktop on the external monitor and can drag programs over to it just fine. What I'm having issues with is when I click...
  6. External monitor issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor issue: Anytime my laptop is connected to my external monitor on battery power, it refreshes every few minutes causing the monitor to disconnect. Tried changing the refresh rate, but the correct refresh rate for the monitor isn't an option. Don't think it's a driver issue. Can...
  7. External Monitor Issue

External Monitor Issue: I have an Asus Vivobook Pro X580VD-ds76t for the past 2 years and it has been working completely fine with an external monitor HDMI-HDMI. Ever since yesterday when I tried to connect it via HDMI-DisplayPort to a Lenovo monitor for the first time, it didnt work whatsoever. I...
  8. NVIDIA extends external monitor instead of GPU

NVIDIA extends external monitor instead of GPU: Hi Ms, I would be really happy if you can give me some tip how to solve such kind of issue as I am troubleshooting it more than 4 hours. It is about HP ZBook 15 G5. Until now I was working with the Intel graphic card while solving some things and not working with my 3D...
  9. Scaling Issue With Extended Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Scaling Issue With Extended Monitors: Recently got a new 4K monitor. It's running at 4k with 150% (Recommended) Scaling. I want THIS monitor to be my main monitor. It is centered to my setup and is the MAIN monitor I will be using, etc, etc. My old 1080p monitor has a recommended scaling of 100%. This is what I...
  10. External Monitor Issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Monitor Issues: I have an MSI Stealth Notebook and I am running Windows 10. I Have two external monitors, both I-Inc iL272s which only have VGA and DVI inputs. I bought two converters, a HDMI to VGA and a mini display port to VGA so that I could use each of the monitors separately. It works...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. issues with extending monitors