Windows 10: External mSata ssd very hot.

Discus and support External mSata ssd very hot. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Having tried HWiNFO64 to get temperature of external drive. = 53/54 Celsius Kingston mSata SUV500MS 480GB in aluminium enclosure via short cable to USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pavl, May 5, 2021.

1. Pavl Win User

External mSata ssd very hot.

Having tried HWiNFO64 to get temperature of external drive. = 53/54 Celsius Kingston mSata SUV500MS 480GB in aluminium enclosure via short cable to USB C/Thunderbolt socket. Machine uses AHCI. Task Manager shows ssd at gentle use but is nearly too hot to keep hand on casing. After some minutes ... C: drive at zero, CPU at 3 percent or less, mSata ssd at zero percent, memory at 22 percent .... still very hot. Aluminium enclosure is in free air resting on an acrylic flat surface (part of a stand to improve laptop ventilation). Now after more minutes at idle ... max temperature up to 55. Shows activity in all areas of zero. Internal C: drive nvme = 29 max. Chipset max = 40. Is this mSata ssd drive going to have a very short life ?

:)

Pavl, May 5, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap

@EdTittel, You are welcome.
    Since you did not have the USB interface for mSata. You can make a backup copy of the 500GB to a regular external USB HD then:
    1. Replace the 500GB with the 250GB.
    2. Boot up Macrium rescue disk, select the image to restore and 250GB as destination
    3. Do steps 3-8 above

topgundcp, May 5, 2021
  3. amrathil Win User
    mSATA SSD

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had used a mSATA to 1.8'' adapter, something like this:

http://www.addonics.com/products/adms18sa.php

, I'm just asking because mSATA SSD's are quite cheaper than 1.8'', and I'd like to buy one of these for my booklet.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

amrathil, May 5, 2021
  4. amrathil Win User

mSATA SSD

amrathil, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. External mSata ssd very hot. - Similar Threads - External mSata ssd

2. I have a very persistent external SSD Virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a very persistent external SSD Virus?: Hello, I seek help very badly. I have a Samsung T5 1TB SSD. I've had it for years and cannot get rid of these "virus" like symptoms.On my windows 10 desktop, I would usually leave my external SSD plugged in all day, every day for at least 2 years. Then all of the sudden I am...
  3. I have a very persistent external SSD Virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a very persistent external SSD Virus?: Hello, I seek help very badly. I have a Samsung T5 1TB SSD. I've had it for years and cannot get rid of these "virus" like symptoms.On my windows 10 desktop, I would usually leave my external SSD plugged in all day, every day for at least 2 years. Then all of the sudden I am...
  4. USB phone charging very hot?

in Windows 10 Support
    USB phone charging very hot?: For my Android phone I have a USB charger with two 2.1A and one Fast Charge outlets. The usb plug to the charger gets very hot when on Fast Charge. Is this normal and safe? it gets too hot to hold. My practice has beeen to use Fast Charge for only a limited time (say around...
  5. Surface Pro7 very hot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro7 very hot: My new surface pro7 is getting very hot when it's in use, can hardly touch it. It is on a desk not on my lap. When the fan comes on my audio and visual lags really bad. It is only 9 months old. What can I do?...
  6. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  7. Installed Win10 on laptop and it doesn't recognize the mSATA SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed Win10 on laptop and it doesn't recognize the mSATA SSD: I've got a laptop with two SSDs - the main SATA SSD and a small mSATA SSD. I installed Win 10 to the main SSD (Win 10 installer could see both disks). Once Win 10 is installed, it no longer sees the mSATA SSD. In Disk Mgmt, I only see Disk 0 (the main SSD), which is...
  8. taking data off onboard mSata SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    taking data off onboard mSata SSD: Selling my Dell XPS. I removed my D drive which contained most of my data but the OS is on an onboard SSD, looks like its a 256GB mSATA. How do I reformat that drive, can it be done in the BIOS? Len 127407
  9. Drivers needed for a Samsung mSATA 512GB SSD (PM841 ??)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers needed for a Samsung mSATA 512GB SSD (PM841 ??): Hello Drivers needed for a Samsung mSATA 512GB SSD . According to my records it is a: "Samsung 512GB mSATA PM841 Series MZMTD512HAGL-00000 SATA III MLC Internal SSD". I have tried searching Samsung's various sites and found it to be intensely confusing!...
  10. Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap: Ladies & Gents: I'm getting ready to decommission a desktop to give to my sister's family. Right now, it's got a Samsung EVO 850 500 GB mSATA installed as the boot/system drive. I want to swap that unit out for a spare Samsung EVO 850 250 GB mSATA, so I can put the 500 GB...