Windows 10: External NVME M2 drive via USB cable. Anyone now how to enable trim?

Discus and support External NVME M2 drive via USB cable. Anyone now how to enable trim? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Sabrent encloser with an NVME drive inside. When I attempt to optimize, this drive isn't even in the list. If I attempt from power shell (... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vladimirpoopen, Dec 12, 2019.

1. External NVME M2 drive via USB cable. Anyone now how to enable trim?

I have a Sabrent encloser with an NVME drive inside. When I attempt to optimize, this drive isn't even in the list.

If I attempt from power shell ( Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter U -ReTrim -Verbose ), I get a failure.

I also have the same problem with external SATA to USB SSDs. They do not show up on the optimize list.

submitted by /u/vladimirpoopen
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vladimirpoopen, Dec 12, 2019

2. Ensure Trim is Enabled?

I have read several articles on Trim and it seems like my settings are opposite of what the articles say. All articles say the setting should be "0" for Trim to be enabled.

I followed the steps to verify the status and below is what my system reports.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

so I went through the steps to enable Trim and got this message-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

I then went through the steps to disable Trim and got this message-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Enabled)

What should I actually be looking at to enable Trim??

Thanks!

Thirst4Christ, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Dec 12, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

External NVME M2 drive via USB cable. Anyone now how to enable trim?

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

External NVME M2 drive via USB cable. Anyone now how to enable trim?

1. External NVME M2 drive via USB cable. Anyone now how to enable trim? - Similar Threads - External NVME drive

2. New m2 nvme drive not initializing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New m2 nvme drive not initializing: Just bought a Samsung 980 m2 nvme drive. As an extra drive. I installed it into my computer and when I started it up nothing showed. I opened disk management and it’s shows with no size only “disc 0” and “unknown” “not initialized” when I try to initialize it gives me error...
  3. New m2 nvme drive not initializing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New m2 nvme drive not initializing: Just bought a Samsung 980 m2 nvme drive. As an extra drive. I installed it into my computer and when I started it up nothing showed. I opened disk management and it’s shows with no size only “disc 0” and “unknown” “not initialized” when I try to initialize it gives me error...
  4. New m2 nvme drive not initializing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  6. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  7. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

8. M2 NVME SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M2 NVME SSD: How much exactly does Windows 10 benefit from being installed on an M2 NVME SSD compared to a SATA-600 SSD ? Other than a faster boot time, how exactly does windows benefit from the direct connection to the cpu that an NVME SSD offers?...
  9. How to clone NVMe M2 to Nvme M2 (with single slot in computer) ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone NVMe M2 to Nvme M2 (with single slot in computer) ?: Good Evening Guys, Hope you all good, My computer (ASUS UX563FD) having a single slot Nvme m2 ssd, i would like to clone this to the newly bought larger Nvme m.2 ssd. I don't have Nvme M2 to usb adapter- I am sure still there is option to do that without adapter,Did some...
  10. m2 nvme ssd removable drive

m2 nvme ssd removable drive: Hello, I installed m2 ssd nvme in the m2 port on the motherboard. But it appears in the tray as a portable device with the icon "safely remove devices and disks." The same icon as when you insert a flash card into your usb.asus crosshair VI extremessd adata xpg ssx6000...