Windows 10: External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11

Discus and support External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just got a External ODD $ HDD Device dvd writer, model B21-y, when I insert the usb it goes on you can see the light, but it does not show in Mypc or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Hendrik Bez, Jun 15, 2024.

1. External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11

I just got a External ODD $ HDD Device dvd writer, model B21-y, when I insert the usb it goes on you can see the light, but it does not show in Mypc or in device Manager. I can not get driver for it. Is there a way to fix this

:)

Hendrik Bez, Jun 15, 2024

2. External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 (usb port are fine)

I only suggested using the other PC in case you could not back up your files to the Windows 11 PC.

Are all HDD's not working on the Windows 11 PC or just external USB?

What normally works for this is what I gave you, so I'd at least try it if the other steps I gave didn't work.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020, Jun 15, 2024
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive

If Windows 11 File Explorer is not showing an external drive that is connected to your device, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the connection: Make sure that the external drive is properly connected to your device. Try unplugging and replugging the drive, or connecting it to a different USB port.
    2. Check Disk Management: Open Disk Management by pressing Windows key + X, then selecting Disk Management. Look for the external drive in the list of drives. If it appears but has no drive letter assigned, right-click on it and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Assign a drive letter to the external drive, and then check if it appears in File Explorer.
    3. Update drivers: Make sure that your device's drivers are up to date, particularly the drivers for your USB ports. Use the Device Manager to check for any outdated or malfunctioning drivers, and update or reinstall them as needed.
    4. Check power supply: If the external drive requires a separate power supply, make sure it is properly connected and functioning.
    5. Test on another device: Try connecting the external drive to another device to see if it appears in File Explorer. This will help determine if the issue is with the drive itself or your device.
    By following these steps, you may be able to resolve the issue of Windows 11 File Explorer not showing an external drive.

davidwarner007, Jun 15, 2024
  4. lbeck Win User

External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11

diagnose external HDD

Thanks to all for our suggestions. I'm still working on this, but need to bow out for a day or two. Here's what I've tried so far:
    • downloaded crystaldiskinfo and the HDD doesn't show there either.
    • Tried jumanji suggestion #8and get "about:blank#blocked". could be my firewall but haven't gotten that message for a while
    • My HDD is not in a case
    • I can't use a UDB c cable on this drive. It has one of those long mini connectors with a long and short side
    • Device Driver shows no yellow triangles (see image)
    • I have a Windows 10 laptop but haven't tried the drive there (yet) Yes, my desktop is the Acer mentioned in my profile
    External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11 373678d1661044549t-diagnose-external-hdd-maybe-bad-hdd.jpg

lbeck, Jun 15, 2024
Thema:

External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11

1. External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - External ODD HDD

2. HDD not showing in external docks between Windows 10 &11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not showing in external docks between Windows 10 &11: I have 2 PCs, one with Windows 11 and an older one with Windows 10 I use a for storing/playing media. Both have Sabrant HDD docs, when I format and put files on the HDD with the windows 11 PC, the drive is only recognized on that PC. When I put it in the dock on the Win 10...
  3. HDD not showing in external docks between Windows 10 &11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD not showing in external docks between Windows 10 &11: I have 2 PCs, one with Windows 11 and an older one with Windows 10 I use a for storing/playing media. Both have Sabrant HDD docs, when I format and put files on the HDD with the windows 11 PC, the drive is only recognized on that PC. When I put it in the dock on the Win 10...
  4. External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External ODD $ HDD Device not showing in Windows 11: I just got a External ODD $ HDD Device dvd writer, model B21-y, when I insert the usb it goes on you can see the light, but it does not show in Mypc or in device Manager. I can not get driver for it. Is there a way to fix this...
  5. i am installing an external ODD & HDD device. my hp Envy windows 10 is not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i am installing an external ODD & HDD device. my hp Envy windows 10 is not...: I am installing an external ODD & HDD device on an HP Envywin10 and the computer won't recognize nor power the unit. help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-installing-an-external-odd-hdd-device-my-hp/c0cc702d-b3e5-4760-ab78-a6102a893663
  6. External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer)

External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer): G'day all, I have 4 year old Seagate 1TB hard drive. I've tried connecting it to multiple Windows PCs but the same thing always happens: I connect it It makes the Windows sound that new hardware/usb has been connected. Nothing happens the drive does not appear in My Computer,...
  7. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  8. External HDD not showing in Explorer

External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...
  9. Unknown device / external HDD

Unknown device / external HDD: For each USB HDD I plug I get an added unknown device showing under Volume/volume manager. Seagates and Western Digitals. Properties show drivers not installed. Code 28. Auto search driver yields error. found drivers for your device but encountered an error while...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...