Windows 10: External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep

Discus and support External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello, I have windows 10, always worked great with external screens. Without a reason, the external screen goes to sleep between 10-60 seconds after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by gregurban, Aug 6, 2019.

1. gregurban Win User

External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep

Hello,
    I have windows 10, always worked great with external screens. Without a reason, the external screen goes to sleep between 10-60 seconds after plugging it into my laptop. The display setting shows the screen is connected and working fine (see screenshots), but the screen remains in sleep/ dark screen mode.

I've checked the sleep settings, put all display settings back to regular, restarted, uninstalled/ reinstalled/ updated NVIDIA, removed desktop background images. All together I've spent around 3 hours researching and trying forum solutions from the past 10 years and nothing is working.

This screen works fine when plugged into another windows 10 laptop so I'm fairly certain this has to do with my laptop.

Any help on this?

External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep [​IMG]

External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep [​IMG]

:)

gregurban, Aug 6, 2019

2. Computer goes to Sleep mode automatically

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below if not tried already and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System>Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select Never from the drop down list for
      Screen
      and Sleep.
    • Close the dialog box and check for status.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Windows 10 no screen saver, never goes to sleep

I have a brand new Lenovo all in one desktop with Windows 10. This thing never goes to sleep and the screen saver never comes on even though the settings are turned on.

Yesterday I got my Brother Multifunction printer/copier/scanner machine (MFC8810DW) up and going with help of Brother. Even though everything prints just fine and the scanner works, the printer model isn't listed as a printer. There is something called a
    Brother pc-fax v.3 listed, but Brother said that's not my printer.. Brother said I should contact Lenovo.

Not sure if something from printer driver is stepping on something preventing machine from going to sleep and screen saver coming on.

DarcyHorton, Aug 6, 2019
  4. External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep

windows 10 PC will not go to sleep and the screen saver will not work, just after latest windows 10 update

Hello,

Corruption within the Power settings is one of the possible reasons why you are encountering issues with the Screen Saver feature and Sleep mode in Windows 10. To address the issue, we suggest running the Power troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• From the Cortana search box, type Troubleshooting and select it on the results.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the on-screen instructions.

Once done with the steps, let us know how it goes so we can assist you further.

Jefferson Ore, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep

1. External screen used to work, now just goes to sleep - Similar Threads - External screen used

2. External monitor used to work but is now blurry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor used to work but is now blurry: Hello everyone, I have an Intel laptop running Windows 11, and an HP external monitor that supports 4k. When I first bought it, it looked great, but one weekend I was on vacation and when I came back it looked blurry and just not as sharp. I noticed the computer was...
  3. External monitor used to work but is now blurry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor used to work but is now blurry: Hello everyone, I have an Intel laptop running Windows 11, and an HP external monitor that supports 4k. When I first bought it, it looked great, but one weekend I was on vacation and when I came back it looked blurry and just not as sharp. I noticed the computer was...
  4. External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11: I have a 5 GB Lacie External Hard Drive from Seagate, connected via a USB cable. The issue is that when I am browsing folders or playing music from the hard drive, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the light on the drive to start flashing and for the files to open or appear....
  5. External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11: I have a 5 GB Lacie External Hard Drive from Seagate, connected via a USB cable. The issue is that when I am browsing folders or playing music from the hard drive, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the light on the drive to start flashing and for the files to open or appear....
  6. Computer goes on sleep while i'm using and working with system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer goes on sleep while i'm using and working with system: Hi, My laptop OS : Windows 10 went on sleep 3 times while i was typing this question for you! it happens recently and I'm so concerned with this issue ! Please Help me with it! What can i do for fix this issue now? Note that i did all of your your instructions in this...
  7. Screen goes to sleep too often

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen goes to sleep too often: On my Win 10 Pro (version 1909) I have the screen turn off time set to 20 minutes and the PC sleep time set to 2 hours. I would assume these times are times of continuous no use. However, even when I am in the middle of typing something, the screen sometimes shuts off....
  8. Screen goes to sleep too often

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen goes to sleep too often: On my Win 10 Pro (version 1909) I have the screen turn off time set to 20 minutes and the PC sleep time set to 2 hours. I would assume these times are times of continuous no use. However, even when I am in the middle of typing something, the screen sometimes shuts off....
  9. Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off: My laptop sleeps when the screen goes off regardless of the sleep time settings. I followed all the steps described in thisthread to fix it but to no avail. Perhaps a fresh reinstall of Windows would fix it? HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0005na...
  10. External usb keyboard isn't working in windows 10 after it goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External usb keyboard isn't working in windows 10 after it goes to sleep: When i plug in external usb keyboard to my laptop it works perfectly but it doesn't work when it goes to sleep. I cant wake it up using external keyboard. I have to use the build in keyboard of my laptop to wake it up but after that my external keyboard is still...