Windows 10: External second display wrong size

Discus and support External second display wrong size in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have two extra displays connected to my laptop, and my largest one (technically a TV but whatever) is appearing the wrong size relative to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Windows9, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Windows9 Win User

External second display wrong size

I have two extra displays connected to my laptop, and my largest one (technically a TV but whatever) is appearing the wrong size relative to my internal laptop display. My laptop's display is set to 1920x1080, and my TV is at a recommended 1366x768. Here are two pictures showing my situation.

Displays in real life:

External second display wrong size [​IMG]

Displays as shown on my computer:

:)

Windows9, Oct 12, 2017
  2. BBVR Win User

Taskbar Icons- Some are normal sized, some are so small as to appear like "dots"

My setup consists of a laptop and external monitor set as primary display. I've not yet created a second account but I have noticed now that the icons size issue only appears on the laptop display (always the same app icons are effected) when the external
    monitor is connected. When I disconnect the external monitor and thus the laptop becomes the primary display, the icons appear in the taskbar as they should.

Note, one of the "small" icons is the program PuTTY. This is a free app which you can try yourself to see if has the same issue on your own dual display environment.

3. stop windows second guessing my decisions

Okay, I'm totally frustrated. Windows moves things around when it should not. It keeps trying to second guess what I want and places things in places I've never put them.

For instance, I start a program that starts in a fixed size window, then goes full screen, and when it goes back to fixed size window, it has moved.

When the screen saver kicks in, it displays a slide show of pictures, but it does it on the secondary display, and it has it displaced so that it is overlapping onto the primary display (and with the different display resolutions, it is totally wrong. I'm
    sure it is trying to out guess what it should be doing, but windows *always* guesses wrong.

How do you tell windows to stop trying to do things for me, and just follow what I tell it to do?

BrianWithnell, Oct 12, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

5. Plankton Win User
    What's the make/model of your TV?

Plankton, Oct 12, 2017
  6. I think his issue is, in the second screen shot, the Monitor shown as NO 2 is depicted as being smaller than Monitor 1. When in fact it is physically much bigger. I see the same mismatch with my setup. Just not so pronounced.

My no 3 and 2 monitors are physically bigger vertically than the no 1 monitor. If I move my cursor to the top left corner of my no 1 monitor and try to move it to the no 3 monitor it won't go. I have to lower it slightly. Windows thinks the edge is lower but it really higher. They are just the opposite to what's show. In the OP's case, his cursor will be even more restricted when going from one screen to the other. I don't think there is an answer though. You can move the square but you can't resize it.
    My resolutions are 1280 x 1024, 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 1024. 1080 is bigger than 1024, pixel wise, so I see why it does what it does. It just doesn't match with the real physical dimensions on my monitors

alphanumeric, Oct 12, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    There is nothing wrong with that, makes sense to me.
    The 'size' of the screen is related to pixels not physical size.
    The external lower resolution TV has fewer pixels thus depicted smaller.
    Windows I guess won't know anything about the physical size.

#4 that's right as well, again perfect sense to me.

What is an 'issue' for some seems quite impressive to me. Ah well there you go, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Maybe it's the transatlantic divide, bigger is always better on the American continent LOL.

Helmut, Oct 12, 2017
  8. External second display wrong size

The issue it causes is cursor movement from one screen to the other. It will only go from one screen to the other where they line up. Where the edges touch. If there is empty space, like at the top of my monitor no 1, the cursor hits a brick wall. It's not a big deal for me as my screens are close to being the same size. If you have one depicted as very small when it very big, it messes things up somewhat. You have to keep moving your cursor to the middle of the screen to get it to go to that monitor. It is what it is though, and I see why they are the sizes they are. An option to drag the edges (resize) would be the answer though.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External second display wrong size - Similar Threads - External second display

2. Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect: I am trying to connect my laptop to an external monitor. However when I do so, my laptop Identified as 1 appears much larger then the additional monitor Identified as 2. However, in actuality the external monitor is larger then the laptop red drawing. This is causing my icons...
  3. Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect: I am trying to connect my laptop to an external monitor. However when I do so, my laptop Identified as 1 appears much larger then the additional monitor Identified as 2. However, in actuality the external monitor is larger then the laptop red drawing. This is causing my icons...
  4. Second External Display Sporadically Failing to Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second External Display Sporadically Failing to Display: Hi,I have come across a weird glitch that I am curious to know if any others have had this happen. There are multiple factors at play and I can't seem to deduce which is causing this weird glitch and if there is another way to fix it than the work around I have found.My users...
  5. Second External Display Sporadically Failing to Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second External Display Sporadically Failing to Display: Hi,I have come across a weird glitch that I am curious to know if any others have had this happen. There are multiple factors at play and I can't seem to deduce which is causing this weird glitch and if there is another way to fix it than the work around I have found.My users...
  6. Second External Display Sporadically Failing to Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong: I have three monitors set up. My Dell laptop running Win 10 with a 17-inch monitor and two identical Acer 24s. Pretty happy with the setup other than the following problem.The problem is in the multiple Monitor display settings the picture of the two external monitors are...
  8. display size all of a sudden is wrong.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    display size all of a sudden is wrong.: the display size that my monitor is meant for is 1900x 1024 (i think) but windows makes it 1280x 1024 and it wont list 1900x 1024 as an option. I have done a clean reinstall for my gpu's and reinstalled windows 10. my gpu is nvidia quadro p1000 and intel(r) UHD 630 my os...
  9. Wrong file size displayed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size displayed: [ATTACH] I am getting this in my F drive. I updated windows, scanned it using Windows Defender Offline scan but still it's appearing like this. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-file-size-displayed/7d4b0e10-4611-4f3b-a497-abdc51e4c306"
  10. Outlook suddenly displaying at wrong size in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook suddenly displaying at wrong size in Edge: Not sure if this is a MS issue. Default zoom setting for Edge is 125% but Outlook email is suddenly really tiny in size despite Edge showing 125%. The right hand 30% of the screen is now just empty white space. If I change it to 100% and back to 125% then it corrects until I...