Windows 10: External SSD appears in some places but is completely inaccessible

Discus and support External SSD appears in some places but is completely inaccessible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason when i plug my SSD in, it has very strange properties. it does not appear in file explorer it does not appear in disk management it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PersonMon, Sep 25, 2020.

1. PersonMon Win User

External SSD appears in some places but is completely inaccessible

For some reason when i plug my SSD in, it has very strange properties.

it does not appear in file explorer
    it does not appear in disk management
    it does not appear in diskpart
    however it *does* appear in device manager under disk drives.

I'm willing to try really anything to fix this but i would prefer not to lose my data.

:)

PersonMon, Sep 25, 2020
  2. Zyn13 Win User

SSD inaccessible boot device

I recently changed my motherboard to a MSI B250M Gaming Pro and for the first 2 days Windows 10 Pro was booting completely fine on my Samsung Evo 850 500gb SSD until last night where I kept receiving the error inaccessible boot device. I have placed a
    copy of Windows onto one of my hard drives and tried to copy over the information onto my SSD (after I formatted it) but I still keep getting the inaccessible boot device error. All help is appreciated.

Zyn13, Sep 25, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond External SSD appears in some places but is completely inaccessible :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 25, 2020
  4. External SSD appears in some places but is completely inaccessible

External Seagate Drive not appearing after Creators Update

Hi Pete,

Since the problem with your external hard drive surfaced after installing the Windows 10 Creators update, then most likely it has something to do with the its driver software being outdated or broken. To help us diagnose and address this problem, we suggest
    that performing first the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. Follow the steps below:

• In the search bar, type troubleshooting and open it.
    • In the left pane, click View all.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, then please try to update the driver for your external hard drive. Follow these steps:

• Right-click the Windows key, then select Device Manager.
    • Locate your external device from the list. If it doesn't appear there but something appeared with a yellow or red sign, right-click on it and click
      Update Driver Software.
    • Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the update.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

External SSD appears in some places but is completely inaccessible

1. External SSD appears in some places but is completely inaccessible - Similar Threads - External SSD appears

2. External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...: As the title says, I can't get my external drive to work. It has worked in the past, and when it has done so the icon on the drive turned from what it is normally the to a blue disc. Now however it just disappears and nothing plays. Unfortunately I cannot upload screenshots...
  3. External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...: As the title says, I can't get my external drive to work. It has worked in the past, and when it has done so the icon on the drive turned from what it is normally the to a blue disc. Now however it just disappears and nothing plays. Unfortunately I cannot upload screenshots...
  4. External drive appears to be recognized by windows, but disappears when a disc is placed in...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External SSD storage device freezes some applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SSD storage device freezes some applications: The following situation happens to me now.There is:PC - it has installed two Windows 11 OSes, the first is for personal use Windows 11 Home and the second is for professional use software developing Windows 11 Pro N. It has 6 ports 3.2 Gen1 Type A, 2 ports 3.2 Gen2 Type A+C....
  6. External SSD storage device freezes some applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External SSD storage device freezes some applications: The following situation happens to me now.There is:PC - it has installed two Windows 11 OSes, the first is for personal use Windows 11 Home and the second is for professional use software developing Windows 11 Pro N. It has 6 ports 3.2 Gen1 Type A, 2 ports 3.2 Gen2 Type A+C....
  7. External SSD not detected in some USB ports

in Windows 10 Support
    External SSD not detected in some USB ports: Hi, I have a new external SSD disk (Samsung T5) formatted in NTFS. The problem is that the disk is not detected when I plug it in some of my USB ports. When I plug it, the LED of the disk is on but Windows does not detect the disk. This happens on different PCs (laptops,...
  8. External SSD Doesn't appears anywhere

External SSD Doesn't appears anywhere: Hi, some time ago I changed my SSD internal drive for a more powerful and bulky one. The other is still good, so I got an adapter NVME to USB 3.0 that worked perfectly until today. I had created a partition RECOVERY on the external disk but yesterday I wanted to erase it to...
  9. External hard drive is inaccessible

External hard drive is inaccessible: I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive that I use to store (majority) videos and documents. A few days ago it started giving me this error for every folder and file, and eventually just from trying to access the hard drive itself from This PC:...
  10. Foreign language appears in some places

in Windows 10 Support
    Foreign language appears in some places: I don't think the title is correctly put but the screenshot I posted would hopefully explain what i really mean. Such problem appear in couple of other places but i couldn't find it the time i was writing this. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. [img] 41733