Windows 10: External SSD not detected in some USB ports

Discus and support External SSD not detected in some USB ports in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a new external SSD disk (Samsung T5) formatted in NTFS. The problem is that the disk is not detected when I plug it in some of my USB ports.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TexTwil, Apr 29, 2020.

1. TexTwil Win User

External SSD not detected in some USB ports

Hi,
    I have a new external SSD disk (Samsung T5) formatted in NTFS. The problem is that the disk is not detected when I plug it in some of my USB ports. When I plug it, the LED of the disk is on but Windows does not detect the disk. This happens on different PCs (laptops, desktops).

UPDATE:
    It looks like this is happening when I'm using an USB extension cable.

PC -> SSD works
    PC -> 2m USB 2.0 extension cable -> SSD works
    PC -> 2m USB 3.1 extension cable -> SSD does not work

Any tips how I could debug this?

cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the problem is that the cable is not providing enough power to the SDD

:)

TexTwil, Apr 29, 2020
  2. SVLingam Win User

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Apr 29, 2020
  3. Klaw117 Win User
    External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

I should note that one drive is a USB 3.0 external hard drive while the other is a USB 3.1 external solid state drive. Both are being plugged into only USB 3.0 ports. The two ports that don't detect the external HDD and SSD will detect regular USB thumb drives.
    No, I have not tried different cables. However, the cables and drives work fine in other USB 3.0 ports either in the back or the front.

Nothing is listed in Disk Management.

These are getting power from the USB ports. The external HDD's LED turns on but does not spin. In other ports with the same cable, it does. The external SSD lights up too but the storage doesn't seem to be detected unless plugged into another port.

As stated above, all ports are USB 3.0.

There are no errors in the Device Manager.

Based on the questions/answers being given here. It sounds like there may be a power issue with the two USB ports. Do thumb drives and external drives have different power requirements?

Klaw117, Apr 29, 2020
  4. External SSD not detected in some USB ports

usb external harddrive is not detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with detecting external hard drive via USB 3.0 port, this issue might have occurred due to corrupted or out dated port drivers.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Write Troubleshooting
      in the search box and hit Enter.

• Click on Troubleshooting
      tab.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB driver for the computer and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and X together and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the Universal Serial Bus Controller and expand the driver icon.

• Right Click on all the USB driver icon and select
      Uninstall
    Restart the computer. After restarting the computer, USB driver will automatically be installed.

As an additional resource, please refer to the below links and check if it helps.

Install USB 3.0 and other USB devices

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly get back with the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

External SSD not detected in some USB ports

1. External SSD not detected in some USB ports - Similar Threads - External SSD detected

2. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  3. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  4. usb port not detecting mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb port not detecting mouse: windows stopped detecting my mouse . When i connect my mouse then the light glows in the mouse and stops after some time ,first it stopped detecting on one port then after some days other ports also stopped working ,while everything else works fine on the usb port , my mouse...
  5. usb port not detecting mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb port not detecting mouse: windows stopped detecting my mouse . When i connect my mouse then the light glows in the mouse and stops after some time ,first it stopped detecting on one port then after some days other ports also stopped working ,while everything else works fine on the usb port , my mouse...
  6. External USB SSD keep disconnecting automatically on USB 2.0 port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB SSD keep disconnecting automatically on USB 2.0 port: Hi there, I have HP EliteBook 840 G2 running Windows 10 pro and I have a Samsung T7 SSD Samsung T7 500GB Up to 1,050MB/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps, Type-C External Solid State Drive Portable SSD GreyMU-PC500T I recently purchased it's brand new and I use this on my Mac and Windows...
  7. USB wifi not detected in some USB ports

USB wifi not detected in some USB ports: Hello, I have a wireless USB adapter that works perfect in the front USB ports of my PC. But it doesn't work in the back USB ports. The same wireless adapter in the same machine with other operating sistem Linux, the adapter works perfect in both ports. How could I get it...
  8. usb 3 ports not detected

usb 3 ports not detected: we have 2 dell vostro 3750 laptops after update one installed renesas usb3 drivers automatically but the other did not ?usb 3 ports no longer work.strange https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3-ports-not-detected/1bd5883f-46a3-4d4d-be0b-343b85d272a2
  9. usb port has power but cannot detect external devices

usb port has power but cannot detect external devices: One of my USB port has power supply. But doesn't read any external devices connected to it.I tried all the general solution on device manager.please help me with it....
  10. Not detected by USB port - Garmin

Not detected by USB port - Garmin: Hello I have a Garmin Forerunner 210 which has been driving me insane. It used to work fine and sync perfectly in the start, however it doesnt anymore. I am using the Garmin Express program to sync as it is supposted to. However, it cannot detect/add my device. Nor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd not work usb 3.0 port

2. samsung ssd not recognized by usb 3.0 port