Windows 10: External SSD not showing up anymore

Discus and support External SSD not showing up anymore in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I was moving some files in my external SSD when it completely froze and windows explorer was not responding. I restarted the task and the ssd was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Davi211, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Davi211 Win User

External SSD not showing up anymore

Hi,

I was moving some files in my external SSD when it completely froze and windows explorer was not responding. I restarted the task and the ssd was gone.

I turned off and on the pc, in the device manager I updated the device and scanned for hardware changes, I can see the device there, but I cannot do anything with it.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

:)

Davi211, Mar 1, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 1, 2019
  3. JonGrimes Win User
    External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

Hi Anup,

Thanks for your suggestions. I ran the Hardware and Devices trouble shooter and it did find a problem with my

Bluetooth adapter (despite the fact that I've never used it and have no Bluetooth devices). I reinstalled and/or

fixed all three ASUS G751JY notebook Windows 10 drivers successfully. However, the external 512GB Crucial MX100

SATA3 to USB3.0 SSD remains listed as hard disc drive on Windows 10 Defragment and Optimize drives feature.

I also tried your second suggestion and ran the DISM using Command Prompt (Admin.).

It returned a Windows 10 latest build 100% system image health. The external 512GB Crucial MX100 SATA3 to USB3.0

SSD still comes up as a hard disc drive in Defragment and Optimize drives Windows 10, Control Panel feature.

JonGrimes, Mar 1, 2019
  4. JonGrimes Win User

External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

When checking the Windows 10 Control Panel feature Defragment and Optimize your drives, my 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD installed

in a Nexstar (NST-266S3-SV) 2.5" SATA3 to USB 3.0 external HDD/SSD Enclosure shows up as a Hard disc drive (not as a solid state drive)?

I've tried uninstalling it, restarting Windows 10 with no change to the SSD showing up as a Hard disc drive in the Defragment and Optimize your drives feature. I've unplugged the enclosure and plugged it back in to the same as well as different USB ports
    with no change.

The 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD shows up everywhere it should, is easily accessed, runs at 450MB/s Read, 420MB/s Write as an external USB storage device (using numerous SSD Benchmarks), has the latest Crucial firmware and driver, shows up as healthy in SSD Storage
    Tools, etc.? My ASUS G751JY notebooks two internal drives (512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe M.2 OS SSD & 1TB Samsung 850 Pro Storage

SSD) show up correctly in the Windows 10 Control Panel Defragment and Optimize your drives as Solid State drives. The ASUS G751JY

notebook has the latest ASUS AS211 BIOS and all the latest hardware drivers as well as Windows 10 updates?

Any and all suggestions appreciated, I'm stumped. The only good thing is that despite showing up as a Hard disc drive, everything runs & works perfectly using it as an external 512GB storage SSD.

JonGrimes, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

1. External SSD not showing up anymore - Similar Threads - External SSD showing

2. External SSD shows as "Unspecified"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SSD shows as "Unspecified": Hello,A couple of days ago, power was cut off from PC and two of my drives stopped being recognized. One is impossible to get recognized, but the second, a Kingston SSD XS2000 1TB, gets recognized, but shows under "Unspecified" section in Devices and Printers. More...
  3. External SSD shows as "Unspecified"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External SSD shows as "Unspecified": Hello,A couple of days ago, power was cut off from PC and two of my drives stopped being recognized. One is impossible to get recognized, but the second, a Kingston SSD XS2000 1TB, gets recognized, but shows under "Unspecified" section in Devices and Printers. More...
  4. External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore: All of a sudden none of my 3 external hard drives will show up on my computer. No where. Not in disk management, not in device manager even viewing hidden. No where, no nothing, I just don't get it. No hardware changes or anything for my computer. Tried other usb connections...
  5. External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore

External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore: All of a sudden none of my 3 external hard drives will show up on my computer. No where. Not in disk management, not in device manager even viewing hidden. No where, no nothing, I just don't get it. No hardware changes or anything for my computer. Tried other usb connections...
  6. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SSD not showing up in file explorer: Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows displays it with the correct name in the little menu in the taskbar and offers me to eject it. In the Device Manager it's listed...
  7. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

External SSD not showing up in file explorer: Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows displays it with the correct name in the little menu in the taskbar and offers me to eject it. In the Device Manager it's listed...
  8. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. SSD not showing up anymore next day after I formatted it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD not showing up anymore next day after I formatted it: I put in a new SSD storage and knew to go to disk management to format the drive. It was showing up in finder until I came back to my computer the next day. I can no longer see the drive in disk management. I know before I formatted it the first time I could at least see its...
  10. external ssd's not working anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external ssd's not working anymore: it often dosent show up and says it's an unknown usb when it does show it shows up without a bar gives an i/o error. the bar has miraculously appeared 2 but eventually disappeared however even when it showed up I can not access all files or folders as they give the i/o error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd showing up as image file