Windows 10: External SSD not showing up in file explorer

Discus and support External SSD not showing up in file explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Julian, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Julian Win User

External SSD not showing up in file explorer

Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows displays it with the correct name in the little menu in the taskbar and offers me to eject it. In the Device Manager it's listed under Disk drives, not Universal Serial Bus controllers, I've tried uninstalling it from there already, that didn't help. I've had no luck with the Disk Management tool either. It shows it as a basic disk, and is online, but I can't assign it a drive letter, that option is greyed out. When I inspect it's properties, it's lo

:)

Julian, Sep 8, 2022
  2. Davi211 Win User

External SSD not showing up anymore

Hi,

I was moving some files in my external SSD when it completely froze and windows explorer was not responding. I restarted the task and the ssd was gone.

I turned off and on the pc, in the device manager I updated the device and scanned for hardware changes, I can see the device there, but I cannot do anything with it.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Davi211, Sep 8, 2022
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 8, 2022
  4. Tim1901 Win User

File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. I changed USB ports and it does the same. I checked Device Manager under "Floppy Drives"
    and it shows the "A" drive connected. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!!

Tim1901, Sep 8, 2022
Thema:

1. External SSD not showing up in file explorer - Similar Threads - External SSD showing

2. Why doesn't my external ssd show in files explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't my external ssd show in files explorer?: It is in Device Manager and Disk Managment, but not in files explorer. I need to transfer operating system files to it. Its empty so i dont need to recover any files, i need to put new ones on it....
  3. Why doesn't my external ssd show in files explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't my external ssd show in files explorer?: It is in Device Manager and Disk Managment, but not in files explorer. I need to transfer operating system files to it. Its empty so i dont need to recover any files, i need to put new ones on it....
  4. SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager: I bought an SSD and installed it today to use as my new main storage device while keeping my current hdd. I initialized it on the disk manager and gave it a letter and everything, but it won't show up on file explorer. It shows that there's 356mb used on it despite me not...
  5. SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager: I bought an SSD and installed it today to use as my new main storage device while keeping my current hdd. I initialized it on the disk manager and gave it a letter and everything, but it won't show up on file explorer. It shows that there's 356mb used on it despite me not...
  6. SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SSD not showing up in file explorer: Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows displays it with the correct name in the little menu in the taskbar and offers me to eject it. In the Device Manager it's listed...
  8. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External SSD not showing up in file explorer: Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows displays it with the correct name in the little menu in the taskbar and offers me to eject it. In the Device Manager it's listed...
  9. External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer

External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer: I have an external hard drive that I can't get to show up in the file explorer, I can see the drive in disk management though. I was thinking the drive doesn't have a letter assigned to it so maybe that's the problem but it won't let me give it one or change it from disk...
  10. External SSD not showing up anymore

External SSD not showing up anymore: Hi, I was moving some files in my external SSD when it completely froze and windows explorer was not responding. I restarted the task and the ssd was gone. I turned off and on the pc, in the device manager I updated the device and scanned for hardware changes, I can see the...