Windows 10: External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows.

Discus and support External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a SABERENT external NVME enclosure holding a Evo 970. After a while it will just disconnect. When I click on the hidden icons thing it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/OneZQ, Jun 3, 2020.

1. /u/OneZQ Win User

External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows.

I have a SABERENT external NVME enclosure holding a Evo 970. After a while it will just disconnect. When I click on the hidden icons thing it will appear for a second then disappear and give a windows malfunction error. I have tested it on another Windows computer and a Mac and they work seamlessly there.

submitted by /u/OneZQ
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/OneZQ, Jun 3, 2020

2. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 3, 2020
  3. JonOff Win User
    External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows. 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows.

Primary monitor blacks out after disconnecting from external

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This issue could be due to the display setting corruption that only affected the primary display when disconnected from the secondary.

I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you:

• Press ‘Win + R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
      appwiz.cpl
    • Uninstall Intel HD Graphics Drivers and exit
      Programs and Features.
    • Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Device Manager
    • Expand Display Adapters and right click on
      Intel HD Graphics Display Driver.
    • Click on Uninstall and check the box
      Delete the driver software for this device.

• With the external monitor connected, reboot the machine.
    • Once the machine boots into the desktop, disconnect the external monitor and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

1. External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows. - Similar Threads - External SSD randomly

2. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly: Out of no where, my HDD has started disconnecting itself a few minutes after it is plugged and requires me to manually turn the external drive on and off if I want to use it again.What i've triedRestarting my PCNot using the HDD under stressful conditions and using better...
  3. Loose VGA port causing connect/disconnect to phantom monitor sporadically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Loose VGA port causing connect/disconnect to phantom monitor sporadically: I have a Dell Latitude 3550 from 2015. I don't ever actually use the VGA port to connect to anything; I use the HDMI port frequently, and that works fine.However, the VGA port has somehow gotten loose, so every time I budge it, the "connecting" sound is heard, and the...
  4. Loose VGA port causing connect/disconnect to phantom monitor sporadically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Loose VGA port causing connect/disconnect to phantom monitor sporadically: I have a Dell Latitude 3550 from 2015. I don't ever actually use the VGA port to connect to anything; I use the HDMI port frequently, and that works fine.However, the VGA port has somehow gotten loose, so every time I budge it, the "connecting" sound is heard, and the...
  5. Loose VGA port causing connect/disconnect to phantom monitor sporadically

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. USB Ports Randomly Disconnect

USB Ports Randomly Disconnect: Hello All,Devices that I plug into my USB ports namely flash drives, two different brands randomly disconnect, and after a week of trying everything I can think of....I´m out of ideas. Every time I hear the three tones that Windows makes when a device is disconnected, I want...
  7. External USB SSD keep disconnecting automatically on USB 2.0 port

External USB SSD keep disconnecting automatically on USB 2.0 port: Hi there, I have HP EliteBook 840 G2 running Windows 10 pro and I have a Samsung T7 SSD Samsung T7 500GB Up to 1,050MB/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps, Type-C External Solid State Drive Portable SSD GreyMU-PC500T I recently purchased it's brand new and I use this on my Mac and Windows...
  8. external ssd keeps disconnecting

external ssd keeps disconnecting: I have an EVOO EVC 156-2 running Windows 10. The computer keeps disconnecting my LACIE 2TB ssd. I have turned off the power off features for USB devices and in the legacy control. Any other ideas?...
  9. Windows kick out external ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows kick out external ssd: I try to install game on external ssd, and i did once. But when i tried to install ark, disk usage decreasing to zero and pc kick out external ssd. Then i get disk write error. How can i fix this problem? In a one moment pc kick out ssd and then reconnect , but the...
  10. Random BSOD - Seems SSD Looses Power?!?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSOD - Seems SSD Looses Power?!?: Hey Guys - I usually have no issue figuring these things out, but this ones been bugging me. I recently purchased an M2 SSD (plus PCIX adapter) and mirrored the OS from my SATA SSD (yeah, I know - not ideal) and since then, I've been getting somewhat random BSODs. The key...